CBBC Dumping Ground

(62 Posts)
HappyOrchid Mon 04-Feb-13 13:46:20

AIBU to expect that a TV programme on a Saturday afternoon on a childrens channel shouldn't have an episode without a warning at the beginning debating the rights and wrongs of gay fostering / adoption.

Watching last w/e with DD who is 8 I felt that it was completely the wrong vehicle for this issue. DD is aware that there are same sex couples and that it's fine. The whole episode concerned one of the characters being fostered by a gay couple. One of the other characters objected strongly and was vilified to the point of being bullied by everyone else in the programme. They were not told off for their behaviour, because their view was correct.

When I wasa kid this would have been an adult drama or discussion programme not on the bloody BBC childrens channel at 3pm.

OP’s posts: |
TurOlive Sat 14-Mar-20 13:58:18

It's a kids TV programme, not a documentary.

WikkiTikkiWoo Fri 13-Mar-20 11:41:28

They want to turn all our children gay.

(please read the sarcasm in this)

Vulpine Fri 13-Mar-20 11:38:09

Opinion man - would Dickens be more to your liking? hmm

drinkygin Fri 13-Mar-20 11:28:17

YABU and bigoted. You obviously DO have an issue with gayfostering/adoption or you’d have no issue with your children seeing it normalised on tv. Disgusting sad

Floofboopsnootandbork Fri 13-Mar-20 09:07:49

Opinionman What are you on about? It’s a kids show hun, they’re hardly going to show the reality of the care system are they hmm

MouthBreathingRage Fri 13-Mar-20 08:57:21

@Opinionman, is that like a mansplaining superhero? Poor childrens having a fake good lives on their not real show. Maybe you should 'dump' your daughter to 'fend for herself' in one of these places. It's the only way she'll learn.

Advertisement

Opinionman Fri 13-Mar-20 08:41:40

I am extremely surprised that parents have not picked up the exact nature of the Programme on CBBC called the dumping ground. This is suppose to depict a Care Home/foster home. Where children that are not wanted or parents can not cope with are sent. These children have had terrible LIFES and mostly mistreated in life and CBBC is showing them having a wonderful and relaxing life. Really !!!!

This programme gives the child watching the wrong idea of Care / Foster Homes. These are children (no fault of their's) dumped to fend for themselves. In this cruel World. But no in the Dumping ground, they have a wonderful life.

My daughter, who is 11 years old, thinks it is a great place to have a holiday. She does not want to go to New York or Dubai. It's almost laughable. But th n when I looked at it seriously as a parent and realised that the image this programme gives to young children is totally false. Children are learning how wonderful these places are. Is this what you would like your children to think. Then I really feel sorry for you. I would like my daughter to realise that there are children not so fortunate as she is and that she should help these Charities, help these Children have a better life. She must think of others that are not as fortunate as she is.

jechtsphere Tue 24-Sep-19 20:42:12

@HappyOrchid

So kids with gay parents just shouldn't be represented anywhere?

SegmentationFault Mon 31-Dec-18 18:13:19

Spoiling for a fight, I'd imagine.

CloserIAm2Fine Mon 31-Dec-18 11:57:33

Why the fuck would anyone resurrect a 5 year old zombie thread to say “I agree that you should be allowed to spout homophobic bullshit without getting called out on it”?! Ffs!

SegmentationFault Mon 31-Dec-18 11:50:02

Care homes don't occur anywhere else in nature. Surely the whole premise of the program is unnatural.

Why does this bother you so much that younwent hunting for a five year old thread to post on? Were you trying to start an argument?

slashlover Mon 31-Dec-18 11:48:59

Apparently they stole an egg which was given back to the parents so when the second egg was abandoned then it was given to them.

The thing is that there are kids who will be going through it or who have already been adopted by a gay couple. This being shown on a kids show normalises it and maybe starts a discussion with the parent(s).

Kids are more mature than we often give them credit for. Sesame Street has dealt with death, divorce, a parent being in jail and is going to introduce/ has introduced an autistic puppet.

svenmozza Mon 31-Dec-18 11:36:33

"stamped out" That's the Liberal minded way of dealing with issues they don't want discussing. Very progressive.

svenmozza Mon 31-Dec-18 10:59:51

Not bigotry, an opposing, legitimate viewpoint. Calling people names hoping they'll back out of a debate is not debate its bullying.

Pachyderm1 Mon 31-Dec-18 10:54:31

If you want to challenge the perfectly acceptable and mainstream view that gay people are capable of being foster parents then you can talk to your daughter about it, but I don’t see why CBBC should be forced to air bigotry just because these miserable, backwards views haven’t been fully stamped out yet.

svenmozza Mon 31-Dec-18 10:50:57

My kid's school that should read.

svenmozza Mon 31-Dec-18 10:49:59

Yes, I read a few articles about that. Some discrepancies over adopted or stolen but I take the point. Still not appropriate for children to concern themselves. Have enough to think about being kids. I don't like any TV show forcing its views or agenda on any kid. The episode concerned same sex adoption and the protagonist was vilified for opposing it. This stifles debate and freedom of speech. I don't allow my kid's to get away with it either.

slashlover Mon 31-Dec-18 10:28:10

When you start to reply it tells you that it's an old thread if it's over a year.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-27405652

Two gay penguins raise an abandoned chick after hatching the egg.

There have been previous reports of exclusive male-to-male pairings among penguins, and some have reared chicks

svenmozza Mon 31-Dec-18 08:10:12

I was unaware this was a six year old post. I mentioned a show called the dumping ground. It covered the subject of same sex couples adopting. I am in complete support of any child being rescued from the care system into a loving family of any makeup and am in admiration of any couple wanting to do so. My point is this is not appropriate for a younger audience, and same sex couples of any species (and I'm sure there are some non human species) adopting children is unnatural. It doesn't happen anywhere else in nature, therefore unnatural. Not bad, not evil, just unnatural.

slashlover Sun 30-Dec-18 23:52:06

svenmozza

Why did you bump an almost 6 year old thread?

Also, what do you consider unnatural about it?

SegmentationFault Sun 30-Dec-18 23:41:09

I don't see how anything they show is unnatural. In fact, technically as humans are animals and exist in nature everything we do is natural.

squaksquak Sun 30-Dec-18 23:40:58

You can disagree with something for your own life but not in society as a whole. Otherwise you could justify not treating people of other races as human, etc. And that isn't acceptable for race, gender, sexuality etc.

I absolutely do not agree. I hate this idea that everyone is supposed to agree with things. If I met someone who felt like they would prefer it if a child had a mother and father rather than a two mothers or two fathers then I’d think well I don’t agree with you but it’s your prerogative to have your own opinion.

TotesEmoshTerri Sun 30-Dec-18 23:16:06

Adoption isn't "natural" regardless of gender is it though

svenmozza Sun 30-Dec-18 22:16:38

Yes?

SegmentationFault Sun 30-Dec-18 21:44:03

The unnatural? hmm

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in