Do you think there is a "Polish" problem in the Uk now that it's become the 2nd language in England?

(465 Posts)
NomadsLand Thu 31-Jan-13 20:48:52

I've been to Poland and I like Poles a lot as a people. I think Warsaw is a great city and I have nothing against Polish people.

My mother complained back in 2007 about the number of Poles in Liverpool changing the 'culture'. What she meant was that she loves to banter with people in shops and restaurants and she used to get a lot of chat back (Liverpudlians are generally very funny - IMHO - and love a bit of verbal 'how's your father'). She complained that this had changed and that she was increasingly met with blank stares. This is high insult to my mother!

I didn't think much of it. But I am now finding the same - I approached a new restaurant outlet at my local services today and joked about them selling hot dogs and milkshakes and what a welcome addition to the usual (was hungry and about to make an irresponsible food choice!). I got the same blank stare. Didn't understand a word I said.

I finally understood what my mother has been saying. AIBU?

SPBInDisguise Fri 01-Feb-13 21:14:38

... And on a different thread? Yes, me too. Tbh im finding mn strange at the moment with plenty of previously 'normal' posters going odd. But I'm clinging to mn as in general I love it here and I fear change

PacificDogwood Fri 01-Feb-13 21:21:31

Nope, right thread, but a bit out of context now.
I just hate goading. Naught wrong with a bit of exaggeration for dramatic effect to make a point, but to keep needling people when they are already het up... urgh. Hate it when the darling offspring do it, and hate it on here. Still luff MN bigtime otherwise though grin.

GothAnneGeddes Sat 02-Feb-13 00:23:05

Uppa - I wouldn't say I've segregated myself.

The area I live in is very, very mixed, Liverpool is considerably less so. L8 still has by far the highest number of ethnic minority communities.

LineRunner Sat 02-Feb-13 00:34:45

Pan reported Hully on a thread and unfortunately he made his reporting public.

The thread was in FWR and already infested with MRA trolls. They then probably just jumped on the reporting bandwagon and the rest, as they say, is hysteria.

Zefiro Sat 05-Nov-16 06:20:04

Hi, can I?,
I'm Pole.
I can't understand one thing,
You are talking about us as someone diferent, ?
We are humans as u are
1. Family
2. Feed family
3. Kill enemies
Lets be friends guys..

ForalltheSaints Sat 05-Nov-16 06:37:11

Young people do not get jokes about old money or phrases from Monty Python sketches but we do not complain about there being too many of them.

The first thing that occurred to me if there are a large number of Polish people in Liverpool is to ask whether the crime rate has fallen. The people if the 60s/70s Liverpool were known for their wit (Jimmy Tarbuck excepted- never found him funny) but also had a reputation for having too many petty thieves. I am sure the OP's mum would be just as offended by such a thought.

Ahickiefromkinickie Sat 05-Nov-16 06:46:50

I approached a new restaurant outlet at my local services today and joked about them selling hot dogs and milkshakes and what a welcome addition to the usual (was hungry and about to make an irresponsible food choice!). I got the same blank stare. Didn't understand a word I said.

What a fucking shit joke. Immigrants shouldn't feel forced to laugh at your shit jokes because your folk emigrated here a bit earlier.

MysticTwat Sat 05-Nov-16 06:52:47

Zombie

aforestgrewandgrew Sat 05-Nov-16 06:53:21

I don't understand a work you said and I'm a native English speaker. Which bit is the joke?

sashh Sat 05-Nov-16 06:53:28

I do think however that one of the biggest issues we are going to face is the ghettos that are going to be created because we are not integrating as we should be.

That depends on where you are, when I go the sweet centre to buy samosas there is often a queue of people and I can't tell the difference between Polish and Lithuanian but certainly there are eastern Europeans buying samosas and integrating as much as anyone.

OP they may not get the jokes and the banter - but there children will.

The people if the 60s/70s Liverpool were known for their wit (Jimmy Tarbuck excepted- never found him funny) but also had a reputation for having too many petty thieves.

Don't forget the 1980 'scouser jokes'.

FerretFred Sat 05-Nov-16 06:53:35

The OPs opening statement reminded me of the phrase, I'm not racist as my best friend is black but.....

However since it was written over three years ago the OP has given up on hotdog jokes.

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Sat 05-Nov-16 06:57:34

Zombie.

Ditsy4 Sat 05-Nov-16 07:06:58

Love them.
Polish people value education and all their children do all their homework and reading. I have some that read better than the local children because their parents get them to read at home. The parents never complain about homework unlike on here and the children are polite and respectful.
I have also been invited to special events occasionally.

I think OPs post is awful. I didn't really understand it either or if I did I didn't find it funny. Glad to hear she has stopped FF. Let's hope she has stopped being a low level racist too. Ihaven't read all the threads as 16 pages was too much. I just read first and last.

FrancisCrawford Sat 05-Nov-16 07:14:01

Are them pesky furriners expected to laugh at crap jokes?

I might look blank at a person speaking with a strong regional accent, far less a non-British accent, but that's because I have a hearing impairment.

YoJesse Sat 05-Nov-16 07:24:46

Oh FFS zombie angry
I wad going to wade in with my favourite Polish food, tiny bit of Polish heritage and my first hand knowledge that like the Brits (and um, every country in the world) I know loads of great Poles and a few utter twats. <I'm looking at you ex colleague who posts loads of far right Polish national front stuff in Fb>

scaryclown Sat 05-Nov-16 07:34:30

I do think its a shame that front line service jobs where you used to experience some local quirks can sometimes seen dominated by people from other countries...sometimes.. like if am expecting Glasgow banter and get lovely polite but slightly flat responses instead etc, but that's reslly all about the low value we in the uk place on these jobs and so how open they are to new arrivals.

Polish is the UKs second language, and in a lot of England, esp SE, rural, small towns, poles and Romanians .dour though they are supposed to be, are still friendlier than your average...so its ki d of our own fault..

scaryclown Sat 05-Nov-16 07:35:53

I meant to say NOT the uks second language. .that's bollocks

FrancisCrawford Sat 05-Nov-16 07:42:25

Scary -I'm from Edinburgh. Does that mean I can't apply for jobs in Glasgow? (We don't do banter like our cousins in the west)

Or that a person from England or Wales can't apply for jobs there either?

It's all a bit Royston Vasey.

glueandstick Sat 05-Nov-16 07:42:51

I kind of get what you mean. I live in an area where English is definitely a second language. Going to the park in the day you don't hear a word of English spoken. There were a group of other mums with kids the similar age as mine. Usually you pass the time of day when you're at the swings- I was ignored when I said hello and carried on speaking to each other and huddled together refusing to speak at all. I'm sure I'm not that bad!

But it's the way things are. Things change over time.

glueandstick Sat 05-Nov-16 07:44:36

Ah zombie thread. Ignore!

WinchesterWoman Sat 05-Nov-16 08:06:34

Haven't found it myself and I'm sorry you and your mum have felt a bit pushed out. I think the opposite, not about poles specifically but people from eastern Europe, in terms of having a bit of a Josh. That's a shame you've felt like that. I can tell you (though obviously it's not 'consolation

WinchesterWoman Sat 05-Nov-16 08:08:57

Or a competition) but there are parts of Europe where English dominates and the locals get s bit annoyed. I've never found what you say at all.

M0stlyHet Sat 05-Nov-16 08:16:14

ZOMBIE THREAD!

(And yes, of course the original OP was being very,very unreasonable).

MrsJayy Sat 05-Nov-16 08:16:55

I dont understand your joke either i would have blanked stared at you too. There is a lot of 3rd/4th generation polish people here they settled after the war so the poles are not new and im sure a lot of forriners settled in liverpool making up the population im sure you and your mother can cope with the lack of banter hmm

MrsJayy Sat 05-Nov-16 08:18:09

Ah bugger ill hide <sigh>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now