Talk

Advanced search

to discreetly mention that 'discreet' has a discrete meaning from 'discrete'?

(147 Posts)
IHeartKingThistle Wed 30-Jan-13 22:52:24

The one you want for breastfeeding is 'discreet.'

'Discrete' means 'separate from'.

As you were. Except for, you know, the discrete thing.

No wish to offend!
<runs away>

WilsonFrickett Wed 30-Jan-13 23:46:28

Yes space. It is not a full stop. My iPad prob autocorrected but the correct proofing for an ellipsis is space/full stop/space/full stop/space/full stop/space/any other punctuation or start new sentence

It's like this . . . And then this . . . And if we're using speech 'I said this . . . '

DianaTrent Wed 30-Jan-13 23:47:10

Yes, this annoys me. Every time I read about someone not being 'discrete' I always think of some poor soul living life forever joined as part of a continuum.

DontEvenThinkAboutIt Wed 30-Jan-13 23:47:46

My papers were still = My stationery was stationary

imogengladhart Wed 30-Jan-13 23:48:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PureQuintessence Wed 30-Jan-13 23:49:31

Hence Discriminate / Discrimination as opposed to discretate and discremation and icecream, etc.

apostropheuse Wed 30-Jan-13 23:53:14

learned not learnt <runs and hides>

Actually learnt is the traditional way of spelling it in "British" English.

Now both spellings seem to be acceptable.

PureQuintessence Wed 30-Jan-13 23:53:51

See, when you are a forriner, you learn all these things the hard way.

Like:

Me (arriving late to a lecture) "I am sorry I am late, I was held by Professor Pink"
Dr Blue: "Oh, that must have been very nice" "But I think you will find you were held up by Professor Pink"

or

Me (arriving late to a lecture having seen my gp): "I am sorry I am late, I have been to see my doctor about my nasal constipation"

Professor Red: "Oh poor you, that sounds dreadful, you do mean congestion, dont you?"

PureQuintessence Wed 30-Jan-13 23:54:41

Isnt learned a noun rather than past tense of a verb?

As in, my learned friend?

apostropheuse Wed 30-Jan-13 23:57:14

Surely that would be an adjective?

HoratiaWinwood Wed 30-Jan-13 23:58:26

That would be an adjective.

StationEry comes from. stationEr. ConfectionEry comes from a confectionEr.

GeorgianMumto5 Wed 30-Jan-13 23:59:38

This ellipsis thing... I still don't geddit. Was the example I just gave correct?

WilsonFrickett Thu 31-Jan-13 00:00:52

Learned and learnt both now acceptable British usage. Just make sure you're consistent. Don't get burned. Or burnt.

WilsonFrickett Thu 31-Jan-13 00:04:52

Nope Georgian but honestly, no-one gets it right in day to day usage. I had to brush up on it for a recent project. The key strokes are as I gave above - space after the word, space between each full stop, space before the next character.

So like this . . . Do you see?

PureQuintessence Thu 31-Jan-13 00:08:04

Of course, Apostrophy! Another example for me to bag!

YellowTulips Thu 31-Jan-13 00:15:52

Question: How many of you have read "Eats, Shoots and Leaves"?

Next Question: How may of you a) understood all of it b) retained the information you learned....

Frostyfoxy Thu 31-Jan-13 00:19:27

I also get very confused with passed and past. Sometimes I think I've cracked it and then it all goes blank again! confused

JustAHolyFool Thu 31-Jan-13 00:21:06

I HATED Eats, Shoots and Leaves.

Full of errors, and actually I hate grammar prescriptivism.

BoysAreLikeDogs Thu 31-Jan-13 00:22:54

Staunch support is needed when one has to stanch a wound.

conantg Thu 31-Jan-13 00:34:39

Well done OP. YANBU.

MrsMeeple Thu 31-Jan-13 01:02:49

blush <read the OP and got confused with excrete. Then wondered "but which spelling means 'unobtrusive'? Because you want that when you're BF too." Sigh. Never mind, I've caught up now.>

<wanted to put an ellipsis in there but didn't dare as there seems to be dissension about whether to leave a space, and whether the dots should have spaces between them.>

AuntieVenom Thu 31-Jan-13 01:30:53

Re the learned vs learnt debate, in English (as in Queen's English)

"learned": a present participle that performs the role of an adjective by qualifying a following noun.
"learnt": a past participle that performs the role of a adjective by qualifying a noun.

These words will be participles only if used along with a helping verb, also called an auxiliary verb like "to be" or "to have". If used without an auxiliary verb, there is a possibility that the word "learnt" is actually a verb and not a participle. This depends entirely upon the sentence structure.

Both these words are derived from the infinitive of the verb "to learn". While "learned" refers to a current state of acquired knowledge of the accusative noun, in this case the the noun following the word "learned"; the word "learnt" refers to a past incident that caused the accusative noun to become aware of something or gain some knowledge.

Examples:
"Stephen Hawkins is a learned man." [present participle: "learned"; auxiliary verb: "is" (to be)]
"I have learnt a lot of thing by attending this class." [past participle: "learnt"; auxiliary verb: "have" (to have)]
"I learnt about it last night." [verb: "learnt"; auxiliary verb: none, not required, because "learnt" is a verb in it's own right]

If the sentence "I learnt about it last night." sounds confusing as to why "learnt" is a verb, try rephrasing it as "I did learn about it last night.". Although there is a subtle difference between the two sentences, they convey the same meaning.

SaggyOldPregnantCatpuss Thu 31-Jan-13 01:36:38

You all have far too much time on your hands! grin

SaggyOldPregnantCatpuss Thu 31-Jan-13 01:37:54

Although... I have to say, if you commit a crime, you arent hung. You are hanged!

cumfy Thu 31-Jan-13 01:46:06

sashh Thu 31-Jan-13 04:31:51

OK where is the MNetter who wanted to know what she could do apart from teach English?

Oi, over here, we need you

<I hate pacific too, it's an ocean>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now