Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to expect my DS to be able to come from school without being jumped by the school 'chavs'.

(13 Posts)
muttonjeffmum Wed 23-Jan-13 21:19:04

My DS14 was walking to the station after a detention today when a gang of about 8 boys jumped him. They kicked him and one boy even hit him with his belt wrapped around his hand. Luckily, DS was with three friends who pulled them off.

Apparently it all started in school yesterday when one of the boys slapped DS across the back of the head for no reason and there was a bit of a scuffle but a teacher saw it all and stopped it.

I'm going into the school first thing tomorrow and I expect the school to take action.

thegreylady Wed 23-Jan-13 21:22:01

YANBU this is bullying and needs to be taken seriously.Hope your ds is ok now.

MrsRajeshKoothrappali Wed 23-Jan-13 21:30:27

If it was out of school I'd go to the police.

larks35 Wed 23-Jan-13 21:31:30

YANBU to go into school and get this dealt with. Your poor DS. The school have a duty of care even if the attack was off school premises.

I have to say though that YABU to use the term "chav", there is something snobby about that term that I hate. Why not just call them bullies?

HollyBerryBush Wed 23-Jan-13 21:32:15

Out of school = police intervention

I assume there was CCTV near a station?

larks35 Wed 23-Jan-13 21:32:20

Ah yes agree with going to police also.

YourHandInMyHand Wed 23-Jan-13 21:39:42

I'd go to the Police as well as contacting the school.

Do the parents of the boys who helped your ds know what went on? Can't see this problem vanishing on it's own, it needs clamping down by school and police.

muttonjeffmum Wed 23-Jan-13 21:41:28

That's a very good point about the CCTV. It was actually on London Underground's property so presumably it will have CCTV.

I didn't mean to offend with the term chav. That was what my DS calls them. Apparently they strut around the school with their attitude and bad manners. I actually had a telephone message left from DS's head of year about the incident yesterday. This was left before the incident today so she is fully aware of the events leading up to it.

DS didn't even want me to go to the school but I said we have to. The next victim could be badly hurt or, God forbid, they could start on an OAP or something. They need teaching a lesson.

ohfunnyhoneyface Wed 23-Jan-13 21:42:58

Definitely need to go to the police.

muttonjeffmum Wed 23-Jan-13 21:44:21

Forgot to add - they were in detention with DS and then followed him and his friends. I don't know if the other boys have told their parents. One of these boys is in year 11 and is threatening revenge. That's another reason I need to go the school before it escalates!

Inertia Wed 23-Jan-13 21:46:34

Definitely go to the police- contact them tonight. Then you will have the report details ready to pass on when you go into school tomorrow, in case the school attempt any kind of brushing under the carpet.

I'd also contact the relevant department at London Underground to ask them to keep the CCTV footage because it might be needed by the police (not sure how long it's kept for otherwise).

Possibly worth checking Facebook if DS is on there, in case any of the bullies have made online threats that you can screenshot and pass to the police.

(Would also use the word bullies ratehr than chavs BTW).

cansu Wed 23-Jan-13 21:46:48

Yes inform school but you must also report to the police as school do not have the authority to punish for incidents out of school.

Inertia Wed 23-Jan-13 21:48:03

And I'd also get DS to write a detailed, dated account of what happened, tonight (and ask his friends to do the same)- take a copy of this into school tomorrow.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: