Talk

Advanced search

to like Andre Rieu?

(17 Posts)
DrCoconut Tue 22-Jan-13 18:44:55

I should add that I mean in a musical sense not the other! The JSO is so cheesy but I love it! Planning to go when the tour is next here.

DrCoconut Tue 22-Jan-13 18:45:55

DS1 (age 14) is not impressed at all.

startwig1982 Tue 22-Jan-13 18:49:50

He's so cheesy and in musical circles a bit of a joke. Well, in my musical circles anyway.

QueenOfCats Tue 22-Jan-13 18:52:30

Oh I love him! smile

You aren't alone op!

ArielThePiraticalMermaid Tue 22-Jan-13 18:52:52

Good god woman. Of course YABU.

I like classical music - have gone to serious concerts for many years. I had never heard of Andre Rieu until I got SKY earlier this year and he was all over the schedules at Christmas time. I sniggered at some of the ads for cheese-factor and thought no more. Then DS couldnt sleep one night - came down and I was watching SKY Arts - some other concert. Then Andre Rieu came on - a concert at "his" house in Maastricht and we were both fascinated smile It was colourful, fun and the music - although not my greatest taste - was Ok. Would I see him in concert - probably not. AYBU? Absolutely not - you enjoy it smile

Katisha Tue 22-Jan-13 19:03:57

Lots of people do like him so you would not be alone in your U-ness.
Personally I think his style is weirdly mannered.

DrCoconut Tue 22-Jan-13 19:48:20

Very confused, I was the same. It was the Christmas one at the big house that got me into it. DS1 still says I am BU. DH tolerates it. DS2 is too young to care grin

cocoachannel Tue 22-Jan-13 20:05:58

My parents and grandma went to see him at the O2 and a very nice time was had by all apparently. I'd never heard of him - DGM was very pleased that she knew about someone 'new' DSis and I had never heard of!

I imagine he is one if those artists that people love to hate to demonstrate how very cultured they are in comparison to the masses.

Bobyan Tue 22-Jan-13 20:07:32

YABVVU

He has the ability to make my ears bleed.

CMOTDibbler Tue 22-Jan-13 20:11:41

Not hugely my thing, but he gives an enormous amount of pleasure to my frail dad, so I totally forgive him any cheese for that. And thanks for regular dvd releases so dad has a variety smile

goodiegoodieyumyum Tue 22-Jan-13 20:14:30

I went to see him concert in Amsterdam about 18 months ago, it was fantastic, I was pregnant at the time and had just started to feel ds move, he kicked a lot during the concert so he either loved him or hated him. My husband and I both love him.

ElphabaTheGreen Tue 22-Jan-13 20:15:40

Y, and all those like you, ABU. Stop encouraging him.

<gavel>

AMumInScotland Tue 22-Jan-13 20:38:01

Cheesy as gorgonzola. But if it encourages people to even consider listening to classical music, that can't be such a bad thing. There's always been a category of cheesy popular classics (anyone else remember Richard Clayderman?)

SquinkiesRule Tue 22-Jan-13 22:01:17

So cheesy, Dh rolls his eyes when I find a concert on TV and watch, they had quite a few lately on TV here in the US.

Jossysgiants Tue 22-Jan-13 22:09:54

Yanbu. I don't know this bloke but have heard his name. I think my parents have seen it. At any rate, popular culture is popular because lots of people like it. They obviously like it for a reason.

Mrsboathook Tue 22-Jan-13 22:16:20

DD (5 months) adores him! Totally transfixed by the Christmas concerts. (not that I let her watch tv obviously!...:-) )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now