loader

Talk

Advanced search

To be upset by SILs comments?

(8 Posts)
MrsWolowitz Mon 21-Jan-13 18:55:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ihearsounds Mon 21-Jan-13 19:16:09

I would tell her to fuck off then and not bother visiting anymore, as she clearly doesn't seem to enjoy her time.

VBisme Mon 21-Jan-13 19:20:45

She sounds nice to be around. Tell your DH to sort it out, she's his family and she's being rude to his wife.
It sounds to me like she's feeling that perhaps she hasn't made the wisest choices with where to bring up her children and is at taking the UK as a form of defence of her own position.

puds11isNAUGHTYnotNAICE Mon 21-Jan-13 19:23:45

I would just let it go. People like this are never going to change. Just let her rant, smile and nod and rise above it.

fourbears Mon 21-Jan-13 19:24:46

Maybe she feels she has to find a lot wrong with England to make herself feel better about living somewhere that does sound fairly risky. She probably doesn't know, at a conscious level, that that is what she is doing. I'd let her get on with it, it must make her feel better in some way. I can see it would be very trying to listen to though.

belindarose Mon 21-Jan-13 19:27:47

We have relatives like this. So bloody irritating. They come to stay for weeks on end as their 'base', but criticise our food, clothes, tv, weather etc etc. Funny thing is, when you visit them in their adopted country, they slag off the locals, their customs, skills, dress etc too.

belindarose Mon 21-Jan-13 19:28:24

Oh - we just put up with most of it.

wanderingalbatross Mon 21-Jan-13 19:34:31

I have a relative a bit like this, who thinks all kids in Britain have dull grey cooped up lives. I think he had a bad childhood here 40 years ago, and so thinks it must be like that for every British child now. I just nod, make no comment and change the subject, don't think I'll ever change his mind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now