Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think it's unfair to discriminate against families with school age children when it comes to holiday pricing?

(49 Posts)
juneau Mon 21-Jan-13 14:46:32

Surely holiday companies could charge a median rate for every week of the season, thereby making the same amount of money and not penalising their clients with children? Children would be less likely to be pulled out of school during term-time too.

Moominsarehippos Mon 21-Jan-13 14:47:54

Basic laws of economics!

DeafLeopard Mon 21-Jan-13 14:49:20

Well it's not discrimination for a start as a holiday isn't a basic human right. Like moomin says, supply and demand.

juneau Mon 21-Jan-13 14:49:39

Well, yes I understand about supply and demand, but I still think it's discrimatory and wonder if pensioners (for instance), were being discriminated in this way whether it would be allowed to continue?

grants1000 Mon 21-Jan-13 14:50:02

It so we could all have cheap low priced holidays pre-children! Why should those without children pay more just so our holidays with children are cheaper? Would you have swallowed that reasoning pre-children?

OddBoots Mon 21-Jan-13 14:50:20

The less popular times just wouldn't have people booking if they had to pay the same as the more popular times. The main reason people choose to holiday outside of the main seasons (which would be around the same times even if they weren't school holidays because of weather and bank holidays) is because it is cheaper.

FactOfTheMatter Mon 21-Jan-13 14:50:29

It "discriminates" against teachers even more... grin

DameMargotFountain Mon 21-Jan-13 14:50:57

it's not discrimination because you don't need a holiday as part of your human rights

but i agree, some price-hikes are astounding!

cory Mon 21-Jan-13 14:51:25

SOme times of the year are going to be less popular anyway due to weather etc. Holiday companies can often only sell holidays during the less popular times of the year by lowering the prices; to afford this, they have to put up prices during the times of year when they can get a better price. It's not discrimination, it's market forces. If they can't sell their holidays all year they'll go bust.

You might as well say that charging the same rate all year round would be discriminating against those customers who can only afford reduced rate holidays.

JoanByers Mon 21-Jan-13 14:51:39

They are in a business to make money.

The correct price to charge is what people will pay.

Some holidays would otherwise be empty apart from school holidays, so they have to cut rates very low to get people in. If they charged these low rates all year round they would go bust and you wouldn't have a holiday to go on at all.

galwaygirl Mon 21-Jan-13 14:51:42

It's not discrimination though and YABU to refer to it as such - as has been explained above its a basic economic principle, supply and demand.

galwaygirl Mon 21-Jan-13 14:52:43

*it's

Alibabaandthe40nappies Mon 21-Jan-13 14:53:54

WTF?

How ridiculous, it is basic economics - more people want to go at those times so it will cost more.

Pensioners are penalised with plenty of things I'm sure.

What a bizarre thread.

FariesDoExist Mon 21-Jan-13 14:54:09

It's a nice idea Juneau but it just doesn't work

babyphat Mon 21-Jan-13 14:54:29

YABU and I bet you didn't mind before having kids!

OddBoots Mon 21-Jan-13 14:54:30

We have chosen to have children and chosen to educate them in the state school system, for that reason we know we cannot afford a holiday every year so we save up and go every 2-3 years - it's no great hardship.

I do feel for those who can't afford to go at all but they still wouldn't be able to afford it even if the prices were averaged out.

FanFuckingTastic Mon 21-Jan-13 14:54:58

It's why I've never taken my children on holiday. Although this year I am going to ask to take them out for a week in term as my youngest has behavioural issues and I don't think could manage a holiday in school holidays when everything is really busy.

ByTheWay1 Mon 21-Jan-13 14:55:44

How is it discriminating, having a holiday is not a basic human right.

(It would be just as valid to say I'm being discriminated against because flights to Barbados are too expensive - how come rich people can go, but I cannot....)

They do not charge a different price because you have children.... they charge a different price because demand is highest in the summer holidays. You can go away without your kids in term time if you get someone to have the kids, so I really don't see how you are being discriminated against....

And the elderly are often "discriminated against" in this way too - often alone, they have single supplements to pay...

BackforGood Mon 21-Jan-13 14:56:01

YABU. As everyone else has pointed out - it's not discrimination, it's basic economics of supply and demand.
At least your children will only be at school for 14 years of your holidaying life - if you were a teacher, or holidaying with a teacher, then that's basically 45 years of your life!
Ce la vie!

shrimponastick Mon 21-Jan-13 14:56:55

It isn't discrimination. However, is isn't fair if it affects you.

Just wait until the DC are grown up and then you can holiday on the cheap in June and September etc. My DPs are always gloating about how little they paid for a week in X when we had been in the school hols and paid at least twice more.

juneau Mon 21-Jan-13 14:57:09

A holiday isn't a human right? Well it bloody well should be! grin

And yes, teachers are discriminated against too.

complexnumber Mon 21-Jan-13 15:01:40

So have you ever tried to find the cheapest price for a flight? Does that discriminate?

If a restaurant offers cheaper meals if you sit before 7:00, does that discriminate?

If a taxi hikes its prices after 10pm, is that discriminating?

A large pack of soap powder works out cheaper per gram than a small pack. Is that discriminating?

Think it through.

weegiemum Mon 21-Jan-13 15:02:05

I think there are more things to be "basic human rights" other than holidays!

Food? Water? Freedom from political oppression? Freedom of speech and assembly?

I'm not sure holidays are part of the UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights. I suspect not, nor of the Rights of The Child.

expatinscotland Mon 21-Jan-13 15:07:23

Newsflash: Life isn't fair! Stop press!

VoiceofUnreason Mon 21-Jan-13 15:11:18

I'm single. I have to pay single supplements. Just as discriminatory. Get over it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now