Talk

Advanced search

to be in no hurry for my baby to grow up?

(11 Posts)
PaellaUmbrella Sun 20-Jan-13 23:51:02

DD is 22 months, and I'm beginning to feel a bit wobbly that she's not as "grown up" as her peers.

Several friends with babies the same age have already started potty training and have moved them from their cots to beds. I don't feel that DD is anywhere near ready for either of those things yet, but as she's my first, am I just being totally clueless and babying her too much?

WorraLiberty Sun 20-Jan-13 23:53:03

They move at their own pace

I've got 3 and none of them did the same things at the same time

The very best thing you can do for her imo, is to let her guide you and it sounds as though that's exactly what you're doing.

BettySuarez Sun 20-Jan-13 23:56:05

Your not worrying too much, no.

Your her mother, you know her better than any other human being on the planet smile

Childhood isn't a race. Perhaps some of your friends felt pressurised to make decisions before they were ready?

TheSamling Mon 21-Jan-13 00:00:23

paella, I'd advise you to stop worrying about what everyone else is doing with their kids and just go with your instincts...trying to monitor her peers and make sure she is 'keeping up' is a natural part of motherhood, but it tends to tie you in knots and make you a stress head in the end. If she is happy and healthy then just keep on as you are...she'll let you know when she's ready for each step.
Fwiw with our first we waited til she was 3 and asked to be potty trained and the same for moving into her own bed and she potty trained in days and has never had an accident at night...same with going into her own bed and she is now a champion sleeper...we are doing the same with ds. We find it stress free to take a child led approach, because that's what feels right to us as a family. Whatever feels right to you as a mum is generally spot on!

CoolaSchmoola Mon 21-Jan-13 00:07:20

She'll do things when she's ready to do them. She won't be going to school in a nappy and she won't be sleeping in a cot when she's ten.

Follow your instincts and you won't go wrong.

primigravida Mon 21-Jan-13 00:07:31

DD who is 21 months is only being potty trained because she was showing all signs of readiness (she has grasped the concept much faster than her brother did) but is still in a cot and will be until she figures out how to climb out or turns three. DS wasn't potty trained until nearly three and moved out of a cot around the same time so he could go toilet by himself at night.

As others have said do what feels right for your child.

PaellaUmbrella Mon 21-Jan-13 00:19:33

Thanks all. I'm usually pretty confident in trusting my instincts with her, just a little wobble recently.

TheDarkSideOfTheSpoon Mon 21-Jan-13 00:24:22

My dd1 is 2.4 and we've only just started potty training despite many close friends starting their similar aged DCs a lot earlier. I did feel a bit of pressure to start with then dh & I went through all our reasons for not doing it yet and decided to trust my own instinct and wait. She's taken to it really well now and I'm sure it would have been much harder to do 6 months ago with all the rest.

She's also still in a cot, and will be until she starts to try climbing out or asks for the sides off.

They grow up so quickly, you're in no way BU not to want to hurry the process up.

firawla Mon 21-Jan-13 00:31:57

22 months is still very little, definitely wouldnt worry about having her still in a cot and in nappies - whats the rush

ismaithliom Mon 21-Jan-13 00:58:12

Keep her in the cot as long as you can! I don't understand why some parents are in a rush to hurry to the next stage?

It will come!

I kept mine for as long as I could in the cot, helps cut down on the midnight visits!

Elderflowergranita Mon 21-Jan-13 01:02:42

Good grief, I wouldn't even have thought of potty training/moving from cot at that age.

All mine were three before they were ready to train and move into a bed.

Your instincts are right - just ride out the wobble smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now