Advanced search

To wish the head would decide tonight?!

(182 Posts)
PenguinBear Sun 20-Jan-13 19:11:06

Our head doesn't like to close (fair enough) so staff are
expected to be in as normal unless he has a change of heart in the morning. All the other local schools are shut. 2 of us live in the same village so we are travelling in together at 7am as we think it could take a long time to get there, even though we've been told by colleagues in the place where we work that roads are dreadful!

So the DC will also be in, although would rather not put them in the car if we could avoid!

It has snowed continually throughout the day and there are no signs of it stoping any time soon. AIBU To want the head to decide tonight rather than wait till 7am?

DizzyHoneyBee Sun 20-Jan-13 19:52:16

Local authorities should issue all school staff with a photo ID pass (and agencies should do the same for supply teachers) and then staff that are CRB checked by county could go to work in their local school and have their ID verified.
I stopped somebody the other day, complete stranger walking through the school without a visitor badge on; it turned out that they were a supply teacher and were offended that I asked but I didn't know them from Adam.

Bogeyface Sun 20-Jan-13 19:54:23

I should add that I handed in my notice a couple of months later due to PND and work stress and she offered me a huge payrise to stay! I didnt wink

Bogeyface Sun 20-Jan-13 19:56:28

Just asked DD and she said that they were all hanging around for first afternoon lesson at 1:10 ish when they were told that they were going home, so I doubt it was sent earlier. There is form from this shool, such as the snotty reminder letter about ParentPay being sent out because they hadnt received reply slps back. 2 days later the reply slips and info was sent out! This was only a couple of weeks ago!

RustyBear Sun 20-Jan-13 20:04:24

But presumably you wouldn't be best pleased if they did decide tonight to close and then it wasn't necessary - and nor would your boss.

Bogeyface Sun 20-Jan-13 20:08:07

Personally Rusty I would rather it was that way around as it is easier to cancel babysitters and tell the boss you can make it in after all (assuming that you are not in a job that needs cover arranging), than to tell the boss you cant make it in half an hour before your shift starts!

Bogeyface Sun 20-Jan-13 20:13:14

Something I have just noticed about school closures.

On our local radio closures page there was one school in the next town to us that announced it would be closed tomorrow. Half an hour later and all but 2 have announced the same.

Am I being cynical to think that all the heads were waiting for one of the others to make a move in case they ended up as the only school in the town to close? hmm

RustyBear Sun 20-Jan-13 20:14:25

I don't mean that - if a message goes out that school is closed on Sunday night, the staff won't come in on Monday, so it's unlikely to be reversed. I mean all the threads that get started moaning about schools that close just because of a threat of snow....

blackeyedsusan Sun 20-Jan-13 20:15:05

34 city schools closed... 3 of which I drive past to get to our school. <sigh>

if I could get off the grounds of the flats and the first part of the road I may be ok as it is mainly main roads. there are several steep hills though.

hypermobile dd and asd ds do not make walking easy. the buses may not run. I have nowhere to leave the car if I can't get back up the hills. it is all innercity ringroads and double yellows around here. the bottom of the hills where there is parking are too far away to walk from with children with difficulties. she fell several times across the carrpark ..

SparklyAntlersInMyDecorating Sun 20-Jan-13 20:17:13

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

RustyBear Sun 20-Jan-13 20:18:16

Bogeyface - that's more likely to be the local radio website working their way through the list of closures. It takes a while.

I have just spent 1.5 hours trying to get the news that we will be open tomorrow onto our website - endlessly getting internal server and timeout errors from our website provider's server.

RustyBear Sun 20-Jan-13 20:20:45

Apart from anything else, if teachers just turned up at their local school, how would that school know how many they were going to get - they still couldn't rely on having enough to open. All it would do is pacify parents who think teachers shouldn't have a 'day off'

Pandemoniaa Sun 20-Jan-13 20:21:04

Local authorities should issue all school staff with a photo ID pass (and agencies should do the same for supply teachers) and then staff that are CRB checked by county could go to work in their local school and have their ID verified.

In ours and the neighbouring county, instructions used to be that teachers should report to the schools nearest their home and work there instead. In truth, it was an idea that was rarely, if ever taken up. Filling schools with an unknown number of random teachers wasn't actually a sensible way to keep them open. Same rule used to apply for more senior local government officers. That wasn't a practical solution either.

Bogeyface Sun 20-Jan-13 20:21:42

I see what you mean Rusty I would still rather work on certainties than maybe's.

RustyBear Sun 20-Jan-13 20:24:12

The other thing you need to remember is that if the SMT live outside the town , they won't know what local conditions are like - whether the school site is safe etc. We're lucky as our caretaker lives on site, but not many do.

scrablet Sun 20-Jan-13 20:25:14

Couple of years ago, I was supply, but on a ST contract so turned up at my local school as could not get into school I was employed at.
Poor HT did not know quite what to do with me! However, I did get another ST contract out of that one too. grin

RustyBear Sun 20-Jan-13 20:25:29

So would we, Bogeyface, so would we.....

Arisbottle Sun 20-Jan-13 20:29:12

I would imagine that most schools would have at least a few members of staff who live locally. I am our resident snow checker!

I live almost next door to a primary school and a short cycle ride away from my secondary. The primary feeds into my secondary and I am a familiar face in that school, because I do outreach work there. I cannot see why I and the other secondary teachers who live locally to the primary school cannot be registered to work in the primary school in the case of snow. Most children walk to our primary. This means that most of the children who need childcare could go to school so their parents could go to work. This happens most years now, they need to do something.

Arisbottle Sun 20-Jan-13 20:31:42

To be fair teachers should only have a day off if they are severely ill, contagious or there is no way they can possibly get to work. I can't see why they would object to reporting to their closest school, if one is within walking distance.

RustyBear Sun 20-Jan-13 20:41:52

They won't exactly be having a 'day off' though, they just won't be working in school. When we closed at 12 on Friday, all the teachers took loads of work home for the afternoon and in case we were shut tomorrow. Though most of them took so long to get home, they probably didn't get much done on Friday.

JakeBullet Sun 20-Jan-13 20:44:40

Our school is opening but just a bit later than about to break the news to DSgrin...predicting protest.

SuffolkNWhat Sun 20-Jan-13 20:46:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Arisbottle Sun 20-Jan-13 20:47:11

Yes I know, I took work home myself for the snow day. However I should normally have been teaching so I was gaining from the extra time that I would not normally have. Therefore it would not be unreasonable for me to not take that extra time and report to a school.

I was being told yesterday on a thread that teachers are almost universally loathed and blamed for societies ills. Not something I have experienced myself, but if that is the case perhaps this is something we could do to repair that image.

lisad123everybodydancenow Sun 20-Jan-13 20:47:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SparklyAntlersInMyDecorating Sun 20-Jan-13 20:48:11

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

ninah Sun 20-Jan-13 20:50:16

my school is shut my dc's - undecided.
I spent all weekend planning, as usual, so I have nothing left to do. If dcs's school opens I will volunteer. If not, I will do what I used to do on weekends before I became a teacher - spend time with my family!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: