Advanced search

AIBU to want...

(53 Posts)
dizzylizzi Sun 20-Jan-13 18:18:27

Some sort of child care grant to pay for 2 days nursery fees for my 2 year old DTG's whilst I try and start up my Freelance graphic design business and do Open university part time???

dizzylizzi Sun 20-Jan-13 19:06:16

greenbananas Thanks for your reply xx

ujjayi Sun 20-Jan-13 19:06:59

You can also apply for Childcare Allowance and Adult Learners Allowance via The Student Loans Co ( or whatever they are called these days) . Also Career Development Loans.....but I guess as you are more ambitious than your average dole claiming waster that you have already pursued all avenues of funding.

I understand your frustration OP but equally your situation cannot be blamed on the entire dole claiming population.

usualsuspect Sun 20-Jan-13 19:07:17

Are you doing a degree in exclamation mark usage?

KatyTheCleaningLady Sun 20-Jan-13 19:07:31


dizzylizzi Sun 20-Jan-13 19:12:17

ok I apologize for my sweeping statement, but I was just using them as an example, cause I see them so often in my home town. I've been on the dole myself. DH earns £25k a year working full time. then we get the standard £74 p/w plus £180 every 4 weeks and have 3 kids. a 3 year old who is in school part time, and I pay for him to go extra out of that money at a cost of £35 a week. But Nursery for the girls is really expensive. It would be £60 a day for the both of them. OU wont give me any child care grant casue DH earns too much, and Im not entitled to any parents learning allowance either. I got my module paid for and £950 towards any other costs, which has now all gone on bills. Im only doing 60 credits atm, casue I dont have enough time to do any more work.

sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad

ujjayi Sun 20-Jan-13 19:17:35

I do understand your frustration but at least your fees have been covered. I want to retrain but am not entitled to a student loan (already have a degree) and we don't have a spare £25,500 hanging around to pay the fees, let alone childcare costs, course materials etc.

bakingaddict Sun 20-Jan-13 19:22:27

Which you'd probably begrudge for other people once you've got your career started, people with your attitude always do......'why should my taxes be used for blah blah blah. Your entitled attitude isn't much better than those you have callously admonished in your post

IfNotNowThenWhen Sun 20-Jan-13 19:24:46

I did my masters as a single parent. I just had to work in the evenings when ds was asleep. Not easy, but entirely possible.

TurquoiseCat Sun 20-Jan-13 19:29:02

You got your module paid for? With extra money (and so much as well) given to spend on whatever you want in support of your studies? I didn't. I also get no childcare allowance and have a job to do.

Count yourself lucky that the government is subsidising your studies so you can 'better' yourself while others do not have that opportunity.

TurquoiseCat Sun 20-Jan-13 19:30:28

And you spent the extra £950(!!!!!!) on non-study related things?

Where was that money funded from, just out of interest?

badtemperedaldbitch Sun 20-Jan-13 19:33:44


Feelingood Sun 20-Jan-13 19:34:03

I fit my OU work in at weekends at evenings. YABU

However it is hard to do freelance stuff even simple phone calls YANBU to want childcare. I would say you need to wait till they qualify for assisted place and do as much OU as you can til then.

TurquoiseCat Sun 20-Jan-13 19:36:07

Badtempered, it does seems very goaty on mn tonight!

They obviously can't leave the shelter of the bridge due to the snow, so cannot go and get a more interesting life!

Feelingood Sun 20-Jan-13 19:36:12

Omg juts seen last post, you just want it all, sorry but you sound entitled. This is your choice, if you can't afford on it inc the already financial help you received then you can't do it yet

Feelingood Sun 20-Jan-13 19:37:04

Oh no is this another unfucking believable

thisthreadwilloutme Sun 20-Jan-13 19:44:51

Have a look at your local college, ours help out with. Childcare. Or go to uni and get a student loan?

dizzylizzi Sun 20-Jan-13 20:06:12

Why are Mners all so obsessed with bloody trolls?!

Tallgiraffe Sun 20-Jan-13 20:11:06

If the twins are 2, why not wait a year until they get free places and do it then?

kinkyfuckery Sun 20-Jan-13 20:30:15


dayshiftdoris Sun 20-Jan-13 23:20:15

You got your module paid for?


Oh and BTW... I live on less than what you are talking about, run a house & car and dont even qualify for JSA or IS....

Why do you need childcare to do OU? Surely thats the point of OU
(Sorry basing this on a friend with twin toddlers and 3rd child who is doing distance learning to further herself)

DeepRedBetty Sun 20-Jan-13 23:26:37

I just gave in with ddtwins and didn't even try to work or study until free baby sitting education started.

mrscumberbatch Sun 20-Jan-13 23:28:20


SoleSource Sun 20-Jan-13 23:58:13

You're loaded woman!

MichelleRooJnr Mon 21-Jan-13 00:09:24

Hey DizziLizzi!
So you had kids? Nice!
I didn't.
I looked at this country's economical situation and my personal financial situation and decided that if I REALLY want this academic course I'm doing, then I prob could'nt afford children as well.
I got one at the expense of the other.
No child tax credits here.
But I'm very happy with my decision and I'm not crying boohoo for someone else to pay or me to have both.
That would be a struggle.
If I made that decision.
But if I did - hell, I'd deal with it.

Get an evening job in a bar or work weekends so your dh can look after the children?

That way you will have the money to pay for a couple of days child care to indulge your freelance fantasy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now