Talk

Advanced search

To think we are turning into a nation of wimps

(24 Posts)
grimbletart Fri 18-Jan-13 15:18:38

As an old glimmer I am jaw on the floor over the fuss made over the weather.

All this don't travel, instructions to prepare as if you are going to the north pole, closed schools and constant reporting updates from all points of the compass.

As a veteran of the 1962/63 winter when we had three months of snow and ice without stopping and the temperatures were below freezing day and night from Boxing Day until March and driving my little mini in all conditions to work and around: also as a small child the 1947 one (where Dad had to dig a tunnel through the snow to get us out of the house and where we passed a double decker bus buried in snow on our way to the open (yes open school) - a three mile walk and no central heating when we got there, I really don't know if I am being totally UR or whether we are turning into a nation of total wimps.

Am I alone in thinking our reaction to a bit of bad weather now is OTT?

<Stands back, dons coat and prepares to be flamed>

LauriesFairyonthetreeeatsCake Fri 18-Jan-13 15:20:14

There weren't any cars back in the dark ages

<runs away>. grin

grimbletart Fri 18-Jan-13 15:21:41

`heehee - our horse and cart never made a fuss grin

MrsKeithRichards Fri 18-Jan-13 15:22:15

yanbu all this hysterical wall to wall news hype is ridiculous

valiumredhead Fri 18-Jan-13 15:22:28

What lauries said! Plus it was acceptable to ring work and say you couldn't get in because of snow.

Eskino Fri 18-Jan-13 15:22:54

I was telling my ds2 (11) about walking to school in knee deep snow because there were no buses, getting chucked in 7ft drifts on the way by my brother and having to spend the day in my vest and pants while my clothes dried on the big school radiators. He was horrified!

Our kids have grown up live in far gentler times. Not sure whether that's good or bad.

sydlexic Fri 18-Jan-13 15:23:22

Thank you that is the first time I have felt young for ages.

FreePeaceSweet Fri 18-Jan-13 15:23:46

Don't flake out people. Its hardly snowmans land out there. Asledgely, weather you like the snow or not its here to sleigh. Grit your teeth and deal with it. Oh and don't be in a flurry to get home. Take it ice and freezy. Get my drift or shall I run it fall by you again? grin

specialsubject Fri 18-Jan-13 15:23:50

possibly, but there were far, far fewer cars on the road back in the time of the dinosaurs. :-) Also people were not expected to drive stupid distances to work or school.

and generally people were less mollycoddled and possibly a bit smarter.

I don't need to go anywhere today, so I haven't. One less car to break down or be crashed into.

fridayfreedom Fri 18-Jan-13 15:24:26

no , not wimps, just different circumstances.
In the 60s most people would have worked closer to home and kids went to the local schools.
I work 15 miles away along country roads, daughter is at college in the same town. Son is at a rural secondary school, no buses due to rural lanes being iced over.
If I worked three miles away I would have walked to work as it is I set off slid along the lanes and finally gave up when I took a junction sideways!! have retreated home and have been doing what work I can online and by phone,

MrsTerryPratchett Fri 18-Jan-13 15:25:02

I live in Canada and you regularly see men in shorts in the snow. Just saying.

Greenkit Fri 18-Jan-13 15:26:10

YADNBU

I agree wimps, we are all blooming wimps. I cant believe schools are closed, because teachers cant get there. I have to go to work!!! (Although its a day off for me today, I shall be back in tomorrow at 6.30am)

I popped into B&Q and there was minimal staff, I asked one lady how she got there and she had walked, taken a little longer, but she made it.

God dam this country, Man the fuck Up

BettySwollocksandaCrustyRack Fri 18-Jan-13 15:27:11

I agree in some ways but there is more traffic on the roads now, people are seeming to work further from home so circumstances really are different to years ago.

I just made a comment at work about how I would be relieved if it snows once my 10YO DS has walked home from school and got in the house safely. My colleague started on about how soft I am, how he did it in his day, blah blah blah!! I replied that I dont particularly care what happened in his (and my) day, I am just interested in the here and now.

amillionyears Fri 18-Jan-13 15:28:01

I sometimes think the media doesnt really have much real news.
24 hour news now means they keep having to report on something.

maddening Fri 18-Jan-13 15:29:04

Back in the 60's a majority of people lived a lot closer to work - now you do have a vastly greater number of people commuting much greater distances.

Greenkit Fri 18-Jan-13 15:31:34

I work about 6 miles from home, I don't have a choice I have to go to work, driving or walking it doesn't matter, I have to get there.

Other people are relying on me to take over their shift so they can go home.

XBenedict Fri 18-Jan-13 15:32:25

I agree with friday People, including teachers have much further to get to work now. There are more cars which makes the roads more dangerous in this kind of weather when the roads haven't been gritted. Children go to schools much further away.

My DCs school is 8 miles away, it wasn't so much the distance this morning that madet going to school impossible but the big hill we needed to climb. I know of at least 3 teachers that live near me so they couldn't have got in either. Our town has 4 routes out of it and 3 were blocked this morning. DH is a GP and tried 3 times to get in, he got in on the third attempt but doesn't think he'll get home.

So no I don't think it's OTT, not round here anyway smile

JakeBullet Fri 18-Jan-13 15:34:23

What XBenedict said. ..

Birdsgottafly Fri 18-Jan-13 15:34:57

Agree with allof the above, cars,close to home etc.

In the 60's there wouldn't have been working mums dropping babies off at the CMs.

When my Mum had to go to work in bad weather i was left in on my own until my Nan got there,fromabout 6 years old.

We didn't have cold weather payments, central heating, double glazing, enough to eat etc, are expectations of quality of life is higher, that is a good thing.

Our long term health is improved by the rise in our living conditions (we undo that by unhealthy living).

Birdsgottafly Fri 18-Jan-13 15:36:13

When my nan couldn't mind me there was a pool of local teenage girls who used to help out.

gazzalw Fri 18-Jan-13 15:37:06

Funnily enough this is what my FIL said too...I think in the 'olden days' people just got on with it....I can remember battling through severe snow to get to school in neighbouring town only to be sent back home again...But communication avenues then weren't what they are now so there was no option but to get on with it really!

Do think that these days people take the path of least resistance though...

And the other thing is that if it's cold week in week out you get used to it and life can't grind to a halt for nearly the entirety of a season....? It's the very cold blips which make people scurry for the duvets and a day off work/school...

Badvoc Fri 18-Jan-13 15:42:43

I remember battling through snow too to get to school back in the 1970s
But it was a local school..everyone lived within walking distance, including all the teachers.
Not many people had cars so that wasn't really an issue.
Yes the house was bloody feeezing so we all stayed in the one room with the gas fire on. Also had hotmwater bottles at night etc.
One thing I dont remember is ever going to school in the snow in wellies or well wrapped up?
Spent most the days in damp steaming uniform and damp socks.
I am glad it's not like that now tbh.

Fakebook Fri 18-Jan-13 15:42:43

Thank you that is the first time I have felt young for ages.

Ditto!

maddening Fri 18-Jan-13 15:43:49

I think once you get over 5/6 miles it becomes unwalkable - I used to work 30 miles away and df works 22 miles away - the roads are fine today - not the snow that was forecast but had it been 10-15 cms then it would have been a worry.

And his is not a "critical" job eg nurse, dr, fireman etc -- there are people who have to get to work - eg greenkit - so if conditions are ridiculous then it is sensible for non critical folk that have longer commutes to stay home where poss rather than adding to the problems on the roads that this weather can bring when it is at its' worst.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: