Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Wibu to put socks on my ds's hands.

(30 Posts)
Fakebook Fri 18-Jan-13 14:09:04

He has no gloves/mittens. Can't find any of Dd's old ones. About to venture out with him in the sling (which he's outgrown!) and his little hands will get freezing. Normally he's warm in his pushchair and hands in footmuff.

So should I put a few pairs of socks on his hands?

redexpat Fri 18-Jan-13 14:11:27

Absolutely fine. Have done it before.

Fakebook Fri 18-Jan-13 14:12:27

Ok, good! It's like a military operation gearing up to walk out there!

McNewPants2013 Fri 18-Jan-13 14:13:10

Warm hands is the most important things, DC will be wearing odd gloves. Something is better than nothing

Dawndonna Fri 18-Jan-13 14:13:20

We do that loads. Just raid the odd socks bag. Two socks each hand and spares in pockets. peasy!

IceCubes Fri 18-Jan-13 14:14:42

I've done this lots of times, don't worry about it!

ThedementedPenguin Fri 18-Jan-13 14:15:45

I forgot my ds gloves one day so he wore his cousins pink socks on his hands. He's 18 weeks

bigbluebus Fri 18-Jan-13 14:16:44

My DS spent a large part of the 1st 12 months of his life wearing socks on his hands. He had severe eczema and would pull gloves/mitts off and scratch, so we put long socks on him which were harder to get off.
I've even got a photo of him sitting naked in the paddling pool in the back garden wearing only socks on his hands!

MousyMouse Fri 18-Jan-13 14:17:03

yanbu very sensible!

valiumredhead Fri 18-Jan-13 14:17:29

I thought everyone did this? grin

Fakebook Fri 18-Jan-13 14:19:45

I'm glad I'm normal and think like everyone else!

WillYouDoTheFandango Fri 18-Jan-13 14:33:22

Yep it's fine.

Whenever the weather is like this my mum tells me how they only had one pair of socks each when they were little. She had 7 brothers so whoever got up first would steal the others' socks and wear them as gloves leaving the first person to trek to school without any socks!

MurderOfGoths Fri 18-Jan-13 14:34:54

It's a really good idea!

CrazyOldCatLady Fri 18-Jan-13 14:43:06

Definitely.

I got given out to by DD (2.6!) for putting tights on DS (11 months) this morning but it didn't stop me. And it's not even snowing here yet...

Zavi Fri 18-Jan-13 14:46:45

Personally, I wouldn't. Not when temperatures are below freezing.

Not unless you have socks AND an outer windproof layer. A baby in a sling is essentially immobile and very vulnerable to the elements.

Do you HAVE to go out?

ItsOkayItsJustMyBreath Fri 18-Jan-13 14:50:18

yadnbu

it's the only way I can get ds to have anything on his hands as he refuses to wear gloves.

PurplePidjin Fri 18-Jan-13 14:57:04

A baby in a sling is essentially immobile and very vulnerable to the elements.

Bollocks. A baby in a sling is right next to the carer, who will emit heat. A baby in a buggy is far more vulnerable, being exposed on all sides with no adult protection. In a sling, you want as few layers as possible between baby and carer, with a windproof coat round both. Ds came out of his this morning toasty warm having worn vest, babygrow, fluffy bootees and woolly hat; I then had dp's big snowboarding coat over both of us.

Zavi Fri 18-Jan-13 15:18:25

A baby in a sling will benefit from shared bodily warmth at the point of contact (i.e. chest-chest) Its extremities will not be afforded such protection though, as they stick out, and will remain very vulnerable.

How long do you think it would take your hands to feel cold if you stood still, in temperatures below freezing, with/without falling snow, with your hands sticking out and covered in socks? Five minutes, 10?

Especially if those socks were cotton because once they get wet (through falling snow for e.g.), they will become very cold and baby will end up with very cold hands quite quickly.

A wind proof layer would make all the difference. But OP didn't mention having one...

Fakebook Fri 18-Jan-13 15:31:43

Zavi, yes it was essential I went out. I don't think school would have allowed dd to stay in the classroom alone for the weekend wink.

He was fine. His hands were really warm when we got back so lesson of the day: two layers of socks are just as good as mittens!

Willyoudothefandango: ONE pair of socks each? shock
CrazyOldCatLady: yep, I put DS in tights too. It has to be done in the winter.

Fakebook Fri 18-Jan-13 15:35:48

I didn't have a wind proof layer but had my rather large scarf at the front where he snuggled his hands. I had him under my coat close to my body. He had a waterproof snowsuit and boots on.

smegley Fri 18-Jan-13 15:35:50

Socks are better than mittens for a young baby IMO. Have done it with all 3 of mine.
Harder to pull off!

Crinkle77 Fri 18-Jan-13 15:37:00

YANBU. Those little mitts that they have for babies to stop them scratching themselves are just like little mini pairs of socks

Zavi Fri 18-Jan-13 15:37:27

Just the one lesson of the day then? wink

(Glad to hear DS hands were warm.)

Fakebook Fri 18-Jan-13 15:40:13

Yes. I have a very boring life. One lesson a day for me grin.

TomDudgeon Fri 18-Jan-13 15:44:56

Sod's law
Rooting around to find gloves for everyone I found at least three pairs of baby's mittens. I don't have a baby anymore

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now