Talk

Advanced search

Does John Lewis still have a haberdashery?

(23 Posts)
Vagaceratops Fri 18-Jan-13 12:56:50

I want to get DD some ribbon for her hair.

Vagaceratops Fri 18-Jan-13 12:57:04

Oh crap, I thought this was chat.

WildRumpus Fri 18-Jan-13 13:00:25

YABVVU to doubt John Lewis' commitment to haberdashery! Of course they still have a haberdashery. And they even keep expanding their ribbon selection. Just the other day I was lusting after a gorgeous selection of outrageously priced VV Rouleaux ribbons.

CoffeeBucks Fri 18-Jan-13 13:00:26

The JLs in Glasgow and Edinburgh have haberdashery depts, yes.

MamaMumra Fri 18-Jan-13 13:04:28

Yes for ribbons but no patterns etc. at least in our nearest one ...

drjohnsonscat Fri 18-Jan-13 13:05:08

hardly, tbh. They do have haberdashery (hard to say) in Oxford St but it's not what it once was in the good old days. They actually sent me to an actual haberdashers off Oxford St the other day - MacCulloch and Wallis on Dering St for a proper selection.

press red for more moaning about how JL has stopped selling useful things and only sells designer rubbish these days

FryOneFatManic Fri 18-Jan-13 13:05:48

We're a small town, so no JL here, but we have Boyes and they do haberdashery. I've had some good stuff from there.

CastingNasturtiums Fri 18-Jan-13 13:07:19

Ribbon Heaven!

YANBU btw.

OhTheConfusion Fri 18-Jan-13 13:17:25

JL in Glasgow have the bast placed haberdashery ever... you have to go through it to get to the cafe... win/win!

CommanderShepard Fri 18-Jan-13 13:20:11

High Wycombe doesn't, weirdly; just upholstery stuff.

mazzi2fly Fri 18-Jan-13 13:21:09

Hobbycraft also does ribbon, which you can buy by the metre or a whole roll of it.

DameMargotFountain Fri 18-Jan-13 13:24:57

we've just got a new haberdashers on the market - i squealed with delight when i saw it blush

but yes, JL does still have some, your profile reads East Mids, Vaga - JL at Highcross is lovely

ILikeBirds Fri 18-Jan-13 13:32:59

I love Boyes, sells all sorts of weird and wonderful stuff.

JL Nottingham has a reasonable haberdashery section

CaptChaos Fri 18-Jan-13 13:49:57

JL Kingston still has a haberdashery, not been in a few years, so not sure what they have now, but they always had ribbons, fabric, lovely patterns and other gorgeousness!

CastingNasturtiums Fri 18-Jan-13 14:11:50

Hmm, if it wasn't for ProvincialLady's gym scales result of 9% I would have said it sounds like the scales you can buy or use at the gym hugely overestimate your body fat.

CastingNasturtiums Fri 18-Jan-13 14:12:26

Haha, massively wrong thread, sorry smile

Startail Fri 18-Jan-13 15:09:36

Cribbs JL has a bit, nothing like the amazing Sheffield haberdashery of my childhood.

Markets are the place for things like hair ribbon, way cheaper than anywhere else.

Our cake decorating shop also has an amazingly good choice of ribbon.

Fecklessdizzy Fri 18-Jan-13 15:21:56

Cambridge JL does, definitely! I was in there last week and YABVVU to question it's existance ... More crafty-type shit than you can shake a stick at! grin

AnneNonimous Fri 18-Jan-13 15:27:42

I love the word haberdashery

Molehillmountain Fri 18-Jan-13 20:24:26

Yes, but mostly you have to buy a whole roll of the ribbon.

pixwix Fri 18-Jan-13 20:40:26

Yabvvvvu! angry

Yes grin it does still have a haberdashery. I could spent all day in there actually - it is very hypnotic - all the different colours, textures, and the way things are arranged - I go into a kind of trance - but I do that at my local 'fashion 'n' fabrics' haberdashery too - I buy lots of wool for knitting.

Haberdashery is a great word though innit! - in fact after someone pointed it out, I had to look it up.... blush It's just one of those odd words that is a part of my volcabulary, that conjures up very comforting images... but almost sounds quite racey!

The word appears in Chaucer's Canterbury Tales. Haberdashers were initially peddlers, sellers of small items such as needles and buttons. The word could derive from an Old Norse word akin to the Icelandic haprtask, which means peddlers' wares or the sack in which the peddler carried them. If this is the case, a haberdasher (in its Scandinavian meaning) would be very close to a mercer (French). Perhaps more likely, since the word has no recorded use in Scandinavia, it is from Anglo-Norman hapertas, meaning small ware. A haberdasher would retail small wares, the goods of the peddler, while a mercer would specialize in "linens, silks, fustian, worsted piece-goods and bedding".

Saint Louis IX, the King of France 1226–70, is the patron saint of haberdashers in France. In Belgium and other places in Continental Europe, it is Saint Nicholas, while in the City of London the Worshipful Company of Haberdashers adopted Saint Catherine as the patron saint of the guild. (wikipedia)

There you go blush

BMW6 Fri 18-Jan-13 20:42:48

Southampton one does, sells everything haberdasheryish!

CraftyDad Thu 02-May-13 23:10:29

The one in Peter Jones seems to more focused on sewing these days. Yarn section is untidy and poorly stocked. The yarn I was after was labelled but an empty shelf awaited me. The assistant was clueless on restocking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now