Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To be really, really angry at wives being called "prized possessions"

(12 Posts)
Sallyingforth Fri 18-Jan-13 12:19:30

How can anyone seriously say that women should be treated like this?
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=af7_1358312668

<caveat>
I suppose this will be taken as an anti-religious rant. It really isn't as I hope will be clear from my postings in other threads. But I can't let this sort of thing go without comment.

Sallyingforth Fri 18-Jan-13 12:20:25

www.liveleak.com/view?i=af7_1358312668

CaptChaos Fri 18-Jan-13 12:30:21

In Islam a man is allowed to beat his wife, because she is his inferior. Women are held to be somewhere between a slave and a free man, so although a husband doesn't technically 'own' his wife, he might as well. To call them 'prized possessions' seems fairly tame in comparison, but when that expression is used to make women wear the hijab is more than a bit out of order.

Sallyingforth Fri 18-Jan-13 20:31:19

Well judging from the lack of response I must BU.
I'll have to ask DP if I can be his prized possession.

northcountrygirl Fri 18-Jan-13 20:34:40

YANBU Absolutely disgusting!

slhilly Fri 18-Jan-13 20:36:28

Oh for heaven's sake. Of course it's obnoxious. There are lots of obnoxious people saying vile misogynist things out there, and some of them are Muslims. Some of them aren't, as well. Eg various ex-US Senators who said vile things about abortion.

HollyBerryBush Fri 18-Jan-13 20:38:02

I've heard women use that phrase about children and husbands.

Fianccetto Fri 18-Jan-13 20:40:23

Terrible, on several levels. YANBU.

Lovelygoldboots Fri 18-Jan-13 22:07:50

shilly makes a good point. Denying women choices about how to live their lives exists everywhere, whether its how to dress and access to birth control and the right to have an abortion. All of these attitudes reduce women to mere possessions, so YANBU. But I think you are being a little u to point the finger at muslims. Many catholic countries deny women access to birth control, denying them the right to plan their families. I am a catholic, I like to attend Mass when I can but I find this issue extremely difficult to deal with.

MsVestibule Fri 18-Jan-13 22:14:08

Well judging from the lack of response I must BU.

That's right, Sallying. Women didn't bother to respond because they do believe they're prized possessions of their husbands hmm.

Softlysoftly Fri 18-Jan-13 22:41:58

<<Glares at Muslim husband for signs of imminent beating>>

Seriously though YAnBU to think prize possession is a terrible thing to call your wife.

YABU to use a link with such a bigoted intro line.

Sallyingforth Fri 18-Jan-13 23:28:02

softly I tried hard NOT to have a bigoted intro line.

What do you think is wrong with it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now