Talk

Advanced search

to be worried about DP driving in the snow?

(14 Posts)
aufaniae Fri 18-Jan-13 10:14:07

DP's planning on driving up to London and back today (from the south coast - A22, A26, M25) despite the road warnings.

MIL is arriving on a train to London this afternoon. She's got a massive trunk which she can't carry alone (and has arthritis) and so if he doesn't pick her up she'll be stuck!

I've suggested he go to get her by train as it's safer, but he says if there is snow as forecast, the trains will be less reliable than driving (yes I said, but still safer!)

DP points out he's from a country where it snows a lot and he's well used to driving on snow. It's not his driving I'm worried about, I know he's a good driver, it's the other idiots on the road who have no idea how to drive in snow as it so rarely does here!

And the local council in their wisdom don't seem to have gritted the roads.

WWYD?

aufaniae Fri 18-Jan-13 10:15:44

I now realise one plan might have been to ask MIL to bring only what she needs (the big bag includes presents for DS etc which we could get another time. SHe told me her own stuff is actually fairly minimal) so she could get a train from London, rather than DP and MIl risk the roads in the snow

To late now though as she's on her way.

Floralnomad Fri 18-Jan-13 10:17:59

There is not usually an issue on the major roads and provided your DP is sensible I wouldn't be worried. Infact if I was him I'd drive ! Your MIL can always get a cab surely

Floralnomad Fri 18-Jan-13 10:19:57

Ignore the last bit , hadn't read post properly .

aufaniae Fri 18-Jan-13 10:22:16

It's about a 100 mile round trip, including driving across London (which ground to a halt last time there was settled snow IIRC!)

aufaniae Fri 18-Jan-13 10:23:21

OK, so IABU then?

(Haven't done an AIBU before where I'm actually hoping to be told IABU grin)

redfairy Fri 18-Jan-13 10:26:17

Absolutely NBU. My DH is a HGV driver and I panic in any weather for him although he takes it all in his stride. I'm also worried for my DD who has to travel on the motorway in this weather and my DS who crosses three counties to work...in fact I worry for all my family when the weather's like this and I'm not happy until I know everyone is back home at night and safely tucked up in bed grin

janey68 Fri 18-Jan-13 10:27:21

Major roads should be ok, he's doing this during the day time I assume, not after work? Honestly, I really wouldn't worry. And although you're right, there are some idiot drivers out there, there are probably a lot fewer of them out today and the roads will be a lot emptier. Personally I find it less pressure driving in poor conditions but relatively empty roads, then ok conditions but loads of traffic.

Wolfiefan Fri 18-Jan-13 10:32:09

Check trains! Will she definitely make it to London? I'm afraid I'd cancel trip. Snow means SE generally grinds to a halt!

DeepRedBetty Fri 18-Jan-13 10:36:05

Hi yanbu to be worried, because I'd worry too, but realistically the sort of accidents that happen in this tend to be slow motion dings. I've already watched two in our street this morning. What's most likely to happen is that the journey will take a long, long time, so I hope he's got supplies etc for sitting about in queues. NE Wilts btw, and the trunk road through the town is currently only passable to HGVS (which are heavy enough to get through the fresh snow to the gritted surface beneath) and 4wds. Everything else is being helped up the long hill by people pushing and towing. Very Dunkirk spirit!

aufaniae Fri 18-Jan-13 10:39:55

She'll be on her way already. Train leaves Edinburgh at 11:30, but she will have left the house already to travel into Edinburgh.

It was a special offer £30 (first class!) ticket. It's non-changeable. She's been really looking forward to coming to see DS!

South Coast trains say two early trains on that service were delayed by 20 minutes. Nothing about here train.

Can anyone recommend a good place to look up real-time train info?

WileyRoadRunner Fri 18-Jan-13 10:41:43

YABU i may have to retract this later depending on weather conditions there doesn't seem to be masses of snow in the south at the moment.

My DH drove up to Norwich on Monday and back on Tuesday in the "white out". He said it was bad but he managed despite being an atrocious driver IMO and he was in an automatic.

aufaniae Fri 18-Jan-13 11:49:48

DP getting ready to set off now.

Just got to try not to worry I guess!

squeakytoy Fri 18-Jan-13 11:52:36

my husband is driving in central london at the moment, he says the roads are fine other than the traffic going slow..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now