Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Really need some advice quickly - PLEASE help

(18 Posts)
kitsilano Thu 17-Jan-13 20:44:01

One of my good friend's children is very, very ill with cancer. He is currently in hospital and I was planning to visit her tomorrow to keep her company.

She has just texted me to say he's been diagnosed with Norovirus. This is obviously very bad news in terms of his health and a cause for concern.

She said she will understand if I dont want to visit but I feel incredibly guilty while at the same time not wanting to catch it and pass it on to my 2 kids.

What should I do?! Please help me decide.

marriedinwhite Thu 17-Jan-13 20:46:56

The hospital may not allow you to visit if they have been struck down with norovirus.

I think I would say that you have a cold and don't want him to get that as well and make another date for next week. I know it's a white lie but actually, I don't think visitors should be encouraged at this time.

If he takes a turn for the worse and you go down with it in the meantime, you will be not use to your friend if she ends up needing you more.

EmmaBemma Thu 17-Jan-13 20:47:09

Just make sure you wash your hands thoroughly after leaving the ward he's on. Best method of infection control.

BluelightsAndSirens Thu 17-Jan-13 20:48:44

Sorry to hear about your friends child sad I would still go. Very very ill says to me that the child will be in bed sleeping/medicated which means you won't need to have much contact if any with the patient so you can still be there for your friend.

There is obviously still a risk but your friend may well need you.

Veritate Thu 17-Jan-13 20:49:18

Couldn't you borrow a mask and keep reasonably well away from him? Also make sure that you use the alcohol hand gel that they have all over the place in hospitals.

missorinoco Thu 17-Jan-13 20:51:10

Tricky.

The question for me would be if I don't go will it be one of those things I look back and regret.

If you do decide to go, don't use the loo and be scrupulous about hand washing.

OpheliasWeepingWillow Thu 17-Jan-13 20:53:49

I would not go just in case you are coming down with anything yourself you are not aware of? He does not need any more illnesses right now. Can you help in a practical way? Does she need any shopping? Does her family need anything? Nono virus is grim - poor baby sad

lovethesun1 Thu 17-Jan-13 20:54:02

I would double check whether you are allowed in,but tbh in this situation I'd prob still go. Follow the usual precautions with handwashing (maybe change clothes after leaving or is that v daft) etc. What an awful situation,I'm so sorry.

PersonalClown Thu 17-Jan-13 21:05:29

Unlikely the hospital will allow you to visit.
My mum works at our local one and 3 wards were locked down over Christmas with Noro. Immediate family only allowed to visit patients and strict washing rules.

Maybe see if there if any practical help she needs?

BlueGoddess Thu 17-Jan-13 21:05:52

If they are throwing up and dashing to the loo they're not going to want to be visited are they?

CloudsAndTrees Thu 17-Jan-13 21:09:35

Our local hospital is trying hard to contain norovirus so isn't allowing visitors to certain wards.

Personally, I wouldn't go, but I don't think you definitely shouldn't go if everyone you live with is fully healthy and the hospital allow it. But if you do, you have to be scrupulous with hygiene.

RuleBritannia Thu 17-Jan-13 21:11:39

I'm reading this differently. Are you suggesting that you visit your friend at her home and not at the hospital? I would visit her at home but not at the hospital. You have nothing wrong with you so just make sure that you have bathed washed and are clean when you visit her. It's up to her to use the hospital's antibacterial plunge bottles (can't remmebr what they're called).

We all wish her DS well.

featherbag Thu 17-Jan-13 21:13:50

A word of advice if you do go, and apologies if you already know this - alcohol gel WILL NOT KILL Norovirus, only thorough washing with soap and hot water will get rid of it. What an awful situation, I feel for you.

kitsilano Thu 17-Jan-13 21:16:18

It's in hospital. As far as I know the ward isn't closed to visitors. I have decided to go and be careful. She is living a parent's nightmare. Her need for support is greater than my need to avoid a virus I think.

Thanks for helping me make the decision. I just needed some perspective.

KatyTheCleaningLady Thu 17-Jan-13 21:19:03

I think if you know ahead of time, you can visit and take precautions. If you wash your hands, don't touch a lot of stuff, and don't touch your eyes/mouth/face until you've washed your hands, you will probably be OK.

I'm glad you're going. It's good to support your friend at a time like this.

xoxo

HeadfirstForHalos Thu 17-Jan-13 21:19:11

I'm glad you're going, it's the right thing. I know it's an awful way to think but if anything happened to him and you hadn't gone you would regret it.

jjuice Thu 17-Jan-13 21:20:54

"If he takes a turn for the worse and you go down with it in the meantime, you will be not use to your friend if she ends up needing you more."

this.

hrrumph Thu 17-Jan-13 21:26:21

For me I'd probably go in and make sure I used the alcohol gel going in and coming out. Also be wary about keeping my hands away from my mouth. Then as soon as I got in the door at home, put my clothes on a hot wash and change into something else.

I worked for many years with infectious patients on hospital wards. I never caught anything following these rules.

If they won't allow non family visitors how about meeting her in the cafe for lunch or something?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now