Talk

Advanced search

AIBU Tradesmen quotes for bathroom - bit boring!

(8 Posts)
Haggisfish Wed 16-Jan-13 21:05:50

Hello everyone,
my OH and I are in a quandry:
we are replacing our bathroom and boiler and have had two tradesmen out to quote for it. one quoted significantly higher than the other, despite you having a gut feeling that he'd do a better job, so you tell the other guy he's got the job, only for the first guy to e-mail you apologising for sending you the wrong quote and offering you a still better deal. Do we burn the guy who we've already told (by email) has the job? Conflicted, need help!

FreePeaceSweet Wed 16-Jan-13 21:10:02

You need MyHammer. We use this for any job where a tradesman is needed. Post your job, say the amount you are prepared to pay and sit back while they fight it out amongst themselves. You won't pay anywhere near the price you say, it just comes down. We had 4 seperate quotes for our central heating ranging from £4500 - £6000. Posted on my hammer and went for a quote for £3200. The bloke was fantastic. Give it a go. smile

FreePeaceSweet Wed 16-Jan-13 21:10:48

Oops, forgot the link.http://www.myhammer.co.uk/

FreePeaceSweet Wed 16-Jan-13 21:11:19

again!

redlac Wed 16-Jan-13 21:15:17

Nope - he's obviously over priced the first quote so wouldn't trust him

LeChatRouge Wed 16-Jan-13 21:15:23

I think I would rather give the right person my money to do a good job in a bathroom I will then live with, rather than risk telling someone he is now not wanted, thus peeing him off a bit.
Email the guy you now don't want, say your circumstances have suddenly changed and you are having to postpone the work and you'll contact him again in the future if you are able to go ahead with the project.

LeChatRouge Wed 16-Jan-13 21:16:50

....although, like red, I did wonder if he dropped his price once he knew he didn't get the job.....

Haggisfish Wed 16-Jan-13 21:23:53

Thank you - we have already had people out to quote using ratedpeople, so we're not going to go through the whole rigmarole again, but will use the hammer website for future work - thank you. Both men seemed very nice and I'm sure both would do a good job - I think the second one may have over quoted to start with. Husband is dealing with it and we have gone for something like Lechat's suggestion - thanks again for replies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now