Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think its not fair my best friend can take her Kindle Fire to school (on behalf of dd)

(22 Posts)
Picturesinthefirelight Wed 16-Jan-13 19:29:03

Kindles are allowed to be taken to school instead if reading books. Children have had Kindle fires for Christmas and can take them in but it does the sane stuff as an iPad which are not allowed. You can read books go on the Internet & play games/apps

I can sort of see her point (but regardless of the school rules I wouldn't be allowing her to take an iPad in anyway. )

Dd is insistent they do the same things (is that true?) so why is one allowed & not the other?

Because its a discrepancy.

Kindle fires have only been out a year, school policies take longer to catch up.

HoneyDragon Wed 16-Jan-13 19:31:40

No idea. Logically if the can only use the reading app than they should be allowed to take in any ereader or tablet.

Is the school literacy department sponsored by Amazon?

NatashaBee Wed 16-Jan-13 19:31:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CloudsAndTrees Wed 16-Jan-13 19:35:17

Your dd has a point.

MrsReiver Wed 16-Jan-13 19:38:06

OP's DD, YANBU. Speak to your head about it, or write a letter explaining your point.

Dozer Wed 16-Jan-13 19:38:55

Yanbu OP's DD!

Picturesinthefirelight Wed 16-Jan-13 19:40:28

She always have a blinking point!!! She wants to be a politician or actress when she is older.

Picturesinthefirelight Wed 16-Jan-13 19:42:43

Can't see what's wrong with normal books myself

I do think its a bit off for the school residential. It's a week when electronics are banned. Children can take a cuddly toy and books (or a kindle)

maddening Wed 16-Jan-13 19:46:33

Could it be that the school doesn't want to be liable for missing or broken ipads which are more expensive?

TheDailyWail Wed 16-Jan-13 19:50:41

I have problems monitoring the use of technology where I am based. People are expected to be quiet but are not allowed to listen to music on earphones. They are allowed to use tablets but not their phones to look at reference documents.

It is very confusing for both pupils and staff. No one is BU IMO but I think they need to rethink the iPad rule.

TheDailyWail Wed 16-Jan-13 19:53:32

shock at being allowed them in exams NatashaBee

Picturesinthefirelight Wed 16-Jan-13 19:54:46

Makes a mockery of needing a clean unannotated copy

Itsaboatjack Wed 16-Jan-13 19:57:00

On the KF under parental controls you can turn off all the other features and just leave the books. Are the school asking parents to make sure this is happening, or checking them at all themselves?

Picturesinthefirelight Wed 16-Jan-13 19:59:15

No, they are not being checked at all.

JenaiMorris Wed 16-Jan-13 20:12:55

My guess is that iPads are massively more expensive, possibly more easily broken and that school policy hasn't caught up with Kindle Fires.

They're allowed to bring in whatever they want at ds's school, but it's made very clear that if your gadget gets broken or lost, tough. Or rather, they won't be liable (which is fair enough).

determinedma Wed 16-Jan-13 21:16:15

Wow. Nothing like that allowed in Dcs school. Am really surprised to read this.

halcyondays Wed 16-Jan-13 22:39:52

I'm surprised te school lets them bring in Kindles or anything expensive. Too much risk of tem getting lot/stolen/broken and then parents one in and complain to the school.

HollyBerryBush Wed 16-Jan-13 22:47:28

100 years ago they used slate and chalk

then there were quills and ink

then there were biros

then there were key boards

and so forth ..... ditto with books, parchment and scribed books, and then typeset books, now it's ebooks. Really people have to move with technology.

I like paper books but Im aware thats just my age. Our school have given each child a kindle after establishing 28/30 children had one at home, therefore it is now the preferred way of reading - the 2/30 will have to conform.

wannabedreams Wed 16-Jan-13 22:49:03

Is this senior or primary?
I am thinking the school are thinking 'kindle' and not knowing what a 'kindle fire' can do....

Picturesinthefirelight Wed 16-Jan-13 22:54:35

It's primary. Dd and her friend are bookworms. Her bag is always laden with books. She says her friends find their kindles much lighter. She's still not having one and eight her track record (lost iPod at dance) there is no way shed be taking it into school anyway but at least at the moment I can blame school.

The boy who sits next to her dies key her use his dictionary app

Loveweekends10 Thu 17-Jan-13 04:58:37

What's wrong with sticking to bloody books. Our college decided it was going to buy lots of iPads for the students to use cos that's the latest thing you know.

So what do the students think of the iPads - they hate them. Very hard to actually do anything constructive on e.g. Word, excel etc. so they just want to play games on them.( but they can't as all that stuff is blocked).

Basically I'm saying sometimes schools introduce technology without thinking through its application.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now