Talk

Advanced search

To not let dd have the day off school today to see our rabbit off

(17 Posts)
Chopstheduck Tue 15-Jan-13 06:40:52

Our rabbit is going off for rehoming today. we lost two to a fox, and it's not fair to keep her on her own, so a friend of mine 2 hours a way who is rabbit mad is taking her for us.

dd is very upset and wants to stay home and come with me when I drop her this afternoon. I would let her but it means missing school, AND the thing is, I'm only dropping her to a different friend who is going up that way Weds and will take her up for me. So it's not like dd will actually get to see where she will be living, settle her in, etc.

Plus I think it is just going to prolong it all for dd who will prob cry all day and is better off saying goodbye this morning and then going to school and her mind off things.

She is really upset that I won't let her though, aibu?

Mosschopz Tue 15-Jan-13 06:43:18

YANBU

Mosschopz Tue 15-Jan-13 06:44:32

And I think that's a very sensible decision re the rabbit!

ToeCap Tue 15-Jan-13 06:45:17

how old is DD?

Chopstheduck Tue 15-Jan-13 06:45:38

ToeCap Tue 15-Jan-13 06:47:01

yanbu - but be prepared for some 'kevin' about it!

Chopstheduck Tue 15-Jan-13 06:59:14

thanks for the replies.

I thought it was the sensible thing, but I wanted to check I wasnt being harsh.

DD has a right face on, but at least she has stopped crying for now. I do feel sorry for her, but at least at school her mind will be off it.

And poor coco (rabbit) will get some peace. She has had more cuddles in the past 24 hours than in her whole life I think!

fiverabbits Tue 15-Jan-13 07:13:28

I have rehomed rabbits from adults in the past, after a few days I have rung
them to give them an update on how well the rabbit is settling in as they were so upset to give their rabbit up. Can you not ask the person where Coco is going to for a phone call, text or photos so that you daughter could see how the rabbit is doing. It is not easy giving up a pet especially under these circumstances, any chance of having something that lives indoors. I have two indoor rabbits as well as four outdoor rabbits and nine chickens but I know if I said yes to my daughter we would have a hamster as well and she is 34 !

Chopstheduck Tue 15-Jan-13 07:40:30

We will be getting updates. Very envious of you though!

I absolutely love rabbits, but daren't keep them outside now, because of the fox and we simply don't have the space indoors, not even for a smaller pet. We're hoping to move later this year and I've told dd maybe she could have something then. Not really keen on gerbils, hamsters etc. I'd let her have a rat which I think would be the perfect pet for her, but I don't think dh would!

Chopstheduck Tue 15-Jan-13 07:42:28

the other two died Christmas night and poor coco has been sleeping in a rabbit cage in the storeroom for night times since. sad

She has coped fairly well, but she isn't a people rabbit by a long shot and needs rabbit company.

diddl Tue 15-Jan-13 07:53:32

Aw that´s sad!

I´d be looking at getting another rabbit & keeping in the storeroom until I movedblush

fiverabbits Tue 15-Jan-13 08:00:29

CHOPSTHE DUCK
I didn't like hamsters until my DD brought one when she was 22 and since then we have had five, I would have another one but I think we have plenty of animals to cope with now. I am dreading the day when anything happens to our oldest rabbit Ozzy who is nine and is the oldest rabbit we have ever had and we have had 22 so far. Ozzy lives with his third wife Smokey who was dumped in our local park. They live indoors in the living room and are spoilt by all four of us. I hope your daughter dosen't get to upset.

Chopstheduck Tue 15-Jan-13 08:14:25

I've kept hamsters in the past and found them very bitey.

Ozzy is doing well! I've been promised Coco will get a new husbun, and I can't wait to see pics of her all loved up. She was bullied a bit by the other two, being the smallest and the odd one out a bit - the other two were sisters. I've even seen the perfect companion for her at a rescue, but I just can't take on another one! The other issue is that we rent. If we owned our house I'd build a proper fox proof wendy house home for them with a huge run sad

fiverabbits Tue 15-Jan-13 11:45:41

CHOPSTHEDUCK

We must have been lucky with our hamsters they only seem to bite my DS I think it's because he talks in a loud voice.
Our outdoor rabbits live in a double glazed home, it was a porch on a neighbours house and we recycled it. It's attached to the garage with different levels and hutches and a heater. It's good because in the nice weather we leave the door open and they run free range round the garden, but we shut them away in the night. We did used to have rabbits in the garage but they keep getting into my Dh's tools.I have a cuddle with all six rabbits this morning, my DD brought the four outdoor ones indoors to cut their nails. They all love the attention.

Chopstheduck Wed 16-Jan-13 09:13:19

Well, she's gone sad

I couldn't stop the tears, but coco was happily bouncing around the lawn of the lady who will be driving her up tomorrow. My trio had eaten our grass down to the roots, so I think Coco thought she had found heaven!

snowybrrr Wed 16-Jan-13 09:47:11

how are foxes getting at them?

Chopstheduck Wed 16-Jan-13 09:54:54

one of the children left the hutch open, I forgot to check and so they were out all night sad

We were told that the fox will come back after eating two, and even with the hutch locked, it was unlikely to stop a determined fox.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now