Talk

Advanced search

To not take the baby out for a walk in the snow?

(13 Posts)
gail734 Mon 14-Jan-13 14:13:44

I'm in Scotland and it's snowing. I'm on maternity leave and I always make sure that the pair of us (DD is six mo) get out of the house. Sometimes it takes me until lunchtime and sometimes it's just a slightly unneccessary supermarket visit, but we always leave the house. Today I can't seem to get us out into the snow. It's cosy in here, and out there looks freezing. Probably only two hours of daylight left - will I regret it/get cabin fever if I just stay in? Do you think that a day on which you never don shoes is unforgivably slobby? Does the baby need fresh air? WWYD?

wibblyjelly Mon 14-Jan-13 14:16:25

I'm staying in with 3 and a half month old ds. Normally I get out once a day, but its warm inside, and he is being very snuggly. We will go out tomorrow, can't see the harm in staying in for one day.

StitchAteMySleep Mon 14-Jan-13 14:19:36

One day won't do any harm, when they get a bit older it is worth going out in just for the look on their faces, but at six months toasty warm house would win out for me smile

floatyjosmum Mon 14-Jan-13 14:21:56

The other thing is prams aren't easy to push in snow so you might not get far!

EarnestDullard Mon 14-Jan-13 14:25:28

YANBU, it's entirely up to you. I can sort of see the benefits of a bracing walk if you're both suitably and cosily attired (baby especially), but then I can also see the draw of staying in your cosy house.

I've been out this morning with toddler and 3mo, but only because we had a class and a GP appointment. I'd probably have stayed indoors otherwise. And I'm in London; still snowy, but possibly a bit warmer than Scotland.

FlatFacedArmy Mon 14-Jan-13 14:33:01

Well, our snow here in London seems to have turned to freezing rain... But that's still enough for 3mo DS and me to stay indoors. He's all snug and happy making friends with the baby in the mirror this afternoon. grin A quick root around in the freezer for tonight's dinner is about as much cold as I want to deal with today!

gail734 Mon 14-Jan-13 15:16:17

I'm still really torn - but it's actually snowing! If I didn't have DD, I mean if it was just me at home with a day off, I'd go out. I just can't be bothered man-handling her into all the gear. I'll do some invigorating housework instead, get off the computer.

Pigsmummy Mon 14-Jan-13 15:37:40

We were due to stay in but I needed an essential and went out but had we have had a nice day in, I normally take her out every day, with the odd day in planned, weather wet and cold, we didn't get the snow that was forecast and was the reason I was planning on staying in. My DD is 12 weeks. Do whatever makes you happy, baby won't mind!

mrsjay Mon 14-Jan-13 15:40:57

I wouldnt trudge out in the snow just to get out it is fine to stay in stay warm

curiousuze Mon 14-Jan-13 15:57:57

I just went out with my new baby in the snow - it turned to sleet, then rain, and I am utterly soaked. The baby was so covered up he might as well have been inside, so I say - stay in and snuggle up!

stormforce10 Mon 14-Jan-13 16:37:43

Hope you stayed in. I had to go out with 5 month old ds to get dd from school or I'd have happily stayed in all day. We're in the West Midlands and the snow stopped hours ago but we still have freezing rain so its pretty miserable out

stormforce10 Mon 14-Jan-13 16:41:17

Hope you stayed in. I had to go out with 5 month old ds to get dd from school or I'd have happily stayed in all day. We're in the West Midlands and the snow stopped hours ago but we still have freezing rain so its pretty miserable out

A day? I havent been out of the house since thursday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now