Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think this is just typical?!

(11 Posts)
MummyPig24 Fri 11-Jan-13 10:34:20

Ds (5) complained of a headache yesterday evening, had calpol, dinner etc and was fine. He woke at 3.50am with a temp of 38.5 saying his head hurt. After an hour or so of comforting I took him downstairs and gave him calpol and a drink and the wee lamb lay on the sofa watching cartoons till about 7.

Obviously I phoned school to say he won't be in, he has made a miraculous recovery, is leaping around annoying the hell out of his sister.

Why do children always do that? It's like when you take them to the dr and they suddenly perk up and make you look totally neurotic!

Still, I'm sure nobody would appreciate him spreading his germs at school and crying with tiredness by lunchtime. And I'm obviously glad that he feels a bit better.

The calpol is probably keeping his symptoms at bay. My DS is like this, he usually starts to flag early evening. Just keep an eye on him as his temp may well come back later.

MummyPig24 Fri 11-Jan-13 11:14:32

I thought that might be the case. It's been 6 hours since he had calpol but I suspect he will need some more this evening.

Theas18 Fri 11-Jan-13 11:15:48

You can always take him in to school if he eats lunch and still looks well.

Maybe not at age 5, but from junior age I'd also suggest if they are ill enough to stay off school they stay quiet and read/do puzzles not watch TV or play consoles etc..

Yeah, don't give him any more calpol and see if his temp goes up. He may be ok now but he may have ear/throat infection or something....my DS gets loads of them and first warning sign always his high temp.

Hope he is ok smile

sweetestB Fri 11-Jan-13 11:37:36

Did he have a temperature or not? I would have done things differently tough, calpol in the middle of the night than bed and sleep again...can't believe you let him watch TV from 3.30 til 7 am., but that is just me.....he would probably be well enough to go to school if he had his sleep and you can always go and collect if he gets worse can't you?

Sweetest - OP said he had a temp of 38.5!

MummyPig24 Fri 11-Jan-13 11:44:37

I tried to get him back to sleep but he was just tossing and turning. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, I should have put him back in his own bed instead of mine and he might have gone back to sleep. We went downstairs about 5 and turned the tv on about half an hour after that.

He is currently playing with Lego. Seeing him now he seems fine but he was so hot and restless, he must be harbouring something and I don't want to spread it around. If it is anything it will have come out by monday or not in time for school

sweetestB Fri 11-Jan-13 11:47:13

Well, when my had hurts, the last thing I need is t.v...it doesn't help does it.? I still think he should have gone back to bed. If no headache nor temperature this morning than school. Obviously no school after spending the night watching cartoons however he doesn't seem tired anyway.....

sweetestB Fri 11-Jan-13 11:49:53

I don't mean to create an upset op, just said what I would have done. Good Luck.

MummyPig24 Fri 11-Jan-13 11:56:11

No upset caused, everyone is bound to have different ways of dealing with things.

He woke at nearly 4, went down at 5, had 1.5hrs of tv at his request. I tried to get him back to sleep but he was too restless hence why we went downstairs rather than disturbing dd and dp.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now