Talk

Advanced search

to be churlishly grumping about ds1's science homework?

(39 Posts)
Greensleeves Thu 10-Jan-13 14:46:33

On one hand I can see it's a great idea and it has had exactly the positive effect on ds1 that his - excellent and lovely - science teacher intended

but on the other hand it has left me with a tired-out discombobulated 10yo Aspie whose behaviour this week has gone predictably to rat shit

the homework is to watch the "stargazing" programmes that are on this week, we have really enjoyed them and ds1 (science geek extraordinaire) is really fired up about it

but the late bedtimes have had a serious impact, he has been edgy and volatile and difficult and it is wearing me out - I know 9.30 isn't a very late night for a 10yo but he just doesn't cope well with it

and we can't just watch them on iplayer later (which is what we would have done if he hadn't had it as homework) because they are discussing them in the lessons the following day

Not much point in this post really, I am just sounding off. blush

Greensleeves Thu 10-Jan-13 15:08:21

nobody likes a moaner grin

GoldPlatedNineDoors Thu 10-Jan-13 15:09:43

What if some parents dobt want their dc staying up that late? Do they start or finish at 9.30?

9.30 is too late to be in bed every night for a week for a ten yo imo.

Greensleeves Thu 10-Jan-13 15:12:55

They finish at 9.30. But by the time ds1 has finished gabbling/bobbing up and down/pretending to brush his teeth/generally faffing about, it's more like 9.45, and he's too discombobulated to go straight to sleep

I am torn, because I do think the programmes are great and the teacher is a really enthusiastic and inspiring person who makes a real effort to bring science to life for the children

But it's no good if he comes home twitching and jerking having gained a detention for losing his cool with a dinner lady because tiredness has reduced him to a four year old!

IncognitoIsMyFavouriteWord Thu 10-Jan-13 15:13:43

you could have watched them in iplayer the following morning

Seeline Thu 10-Jan-13 15:14:07

9.30 is too late for a 10 yo on a school night one more than one night. It would've turned my DS into a grumpy, bad tempered whatnot too grin

Greensleeves Thu 10-Jan-13 15:15:56

We don't have anywhere near enough time in the morning to watch 90 minutes of telly Incognito. Busy hectic household. Even without the Aspie faffing.

HoratiaWinwood Thu 10-Jan-13 15:16:44

I don't think it's appropriate to insist on an entire Y6 class staying up until at least 9.30 for a whole week.

kim147 Thu 10-Jan-13 15:16:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GoldPlatedNineDoors Thu 10-Jan-13 15:17:09

What about hoseholds without a TV? Imo they should show the programme in class, discuss it there, and send home.non-time specific.homework.

Picturesinthefirelight Thu 10-Jan-13 15:18:48

That's far too late.

11 year old year 6 dd us in bed by 8pm. 8.30 pm at the very latest.

A whole week of late nights would mean shed end up ill. She flaked over Xmas after a week of 9pm ish bedtimes.

Greensleeves Thu 10-Jan-13 15:18:52

He's in Y5

even if we did have time to watch it all in the morning, there is no WAY ds1 would be able to cope with not "doing his homework" at 8pm when the programme starts. The consequences for all of us would be dire grin

Interesting that others also feel it is too late. I thought I was just being a miserable git.

amistillsexy Thu 10-Jan-13 15:19:52

If your ds with asd watching on iPlayer before school would be even worse....disruption to morning routine is a total no-no.

I feel your pain, op. I'd be torn just as you are, and I know how hyper ds would be after the programme, which is why I always have to turn off any of the Victorian/Edwardian Farm/Pharmacy living history programmes that are aired at a similar time. One whiff of that before bedtime and all hell's let lose!

Is Friday the last night? Will you at least be able to get back on track over the weekend?

Badvoc Thu 10-Jan-13 15:21:15

There is no way my year 5 ds could stay up that late greensleeves so no Yanbu.

Greensleeves Thu 10-Jan-13 15:22:21

Yes I think they are only on this week

As an amusing corollary, we will probably end up watching the damn things AGAIN on iplayer over the weekend. Once he has had the chance to Google a few niggles he has found during the first showing. Oh, and the entire day's worth of programmes about the London Underground he has found about about, which are on for the 150yr anniversary <sigh>

Picturesinthefirelight Thu 10-Jan-13 15:24:08

Besides after 8pm in our house the tv is MINE- all MINE!

I'd have missed Lewis, Murder in Paradise & Holby if the dc were watching at that time.

nickelbabe Thu 10-Jan-13 15:24:10

what about recording it and watching it the next evening as soon as it's dark?

if he doesn't have to have seen it by the following day it should work.

BonaDea Thu 10-Jan-13 15:25:20

I bet the science teacher is male and childless and so it simply hasn't occured to him that 9.30 is a late night for 10 year olds.

I would suggest dropping him a note. You can be very positive in it, and say how much DS has enjoyed it, that you thought it was a great idea and are so pleased about how engaged DS is in the project but plead that next time they discuss the programme a day later, so that you can choose to watch it at an earlier time on iplayer instead.

I bet it just didn't occur to the teacher. As long as the note is a polite 'just for next time please' type missive surely he won't be offended?

Picturesinthefirelight Thu 10-Jan-13 15:26:19

Op has said they discuss thatceceningsnprogrammecrhe next day in class.

Besides that assumes recording facilities. Since we switched from video to DVD we have no method of recording programmes. Who's to say the op has a DVD recorder?

LadyMargolotta Thu 10-Jan-13 15:28:44

It's too late, and watching a TV programme is not appropriate homework anyway. What about the children who have activities on that night?

nickelbabe Thu 10-Jan-13 15:29:21

thanks, Pictures - i read that post about 6 times and couldn't see it - i had skipped the bit in the same sentence as the iplayer statement. blush

nickelbabe Thu 10-Jan-13 15:29:50

blimey, i was thinking video recorder!

valiumredhead Thu 10-Jan-13 15:30:48

That is far too late for a school night for my 11 yr old and unless it is a one off!

valiumredhead Thu 10-Jan-13 15:31:01

and

Greensleeves Thu 10-Jan-13 16:02:15

teacher is female, and has dc, but I think they are older. She is normally very sensible though, maybe she thought on balance it was worth it for the value in the programmes? I just feel like I am walking on eggshells this week, ds1 could set himself back months with one big meltdown at school or afterschool club.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now