Talk

Advanced search

To put Pesto with Salmon?

(27 Posts)
Spice17 Thu 10-Jan-13 10:42:53

More traffic here and need some quick advice......

Am cooking DM and Stepdad a meal on Sat to thank them for the help they've given to me and DH with our 3 month old DD.

Am cooking Samon en croute (retro I know but am veggie and would be nervous about cooking meat)

Did a practice run last night and put with Green Pesto, DH said was nice but I don't eat fish and couldn't try it, so really unsure - would something else work better? Maybe even Red Pesto?

Any input appreciated, TIA!!

sooperdooper Thu 10-Jan-13 10:46:08

Yes, I put green pesto on salmon, it's lovely smile

overthemill Thu 10-Jan-13 10:46:50

pesto nice. but at weekend i did salmon on croute and sandwicjhed the salmon with cream cheese and spinach which i'd blitzed in processor (am sure you could just mix it) about 100 gram of each i think. all family loved it even spinach hating kids. it was gordon ramsey but he used rocket but i had spinach iyswim

GregBishopsBottomBitch Thu 10-Jan-13 10:47:51

YANBU, green pesto encrusted crumb on salmon, omg yumtastic.

sheeplikessleep Thu 10-Jan-13 10:49:14

Salmon and pesto lovely (sometimes I put a bit of pesto on top of salmon, then a few breadcrumbs and pop in oven).

I'd prefer red pesto, but only because I prefer the taste! I think green or red pesto would go equally well.

sheeplikessleep Thu 10-Jan-13 10:49:34

Oops cross posted gregbishops!

Spice17 Thu 10-Jan-13 10:49:48

Brilliant, thanks all and may just try the cream cheese and spinach thing overthemill cheers!

Beehatch Thu 10-Jan-13 10:51:45

Salmon with pesto one of our favourite meals hear. I usually use coriander pesto

3smellysocks Thu 10-Jan-13 12:13:57

Jamie oliver does parcels - long doubled tin foil base per portion, handful of runner beans first (I prefer mange tout or asparagus though or a mix), salmon on top, green pesto on top of that, olive oil drizzle and then squeeze half a lemon over the mound. Wrap up the portion with the tin foil and cook for 20 mins.

3smellysocks Thu 10-Jan-13 12:14:55

sorry not runner beans - french beans

AngelsWithSilverWings Thu 10-Jan-13 12:19:51

The Jamie salmon and pesto recipe is a a weekly meal in our house. It's also nice made without the beans and served with cous cous and roasted courgettes , peppers and aubergines.

MrsBethel Thu 10-Jan-13 15:30:26

Sounds nice.

Lafaminute Thu 10-Jan-13 16:06:05

Delia's recipe: squeez a lemon over salon fillets, top with a spoon of pesto and breadcrumbs mixed with parmesan and grill til salmon cooked through. Delicious!

cakeandcustard Thu 10-Jan-13 16:08:20

Try mixing the pesto with cream cheese and spread it on the top of the salmon. I wrap it in filo pastry and bake for 20 mins - yum!

Shesparkles Thu 10-Jan-13 16:09:14

I do this all the time, the kids ask for it!

rumbelina Thu 10-Jan-13 16:28:37

YANBU

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/roastsalmonwithredpe_11711

rumbelina Thu 10-Jan-13 16:28:51

www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/roastsalmonwithredpe_11711

ScaredySquirrel Thu 10-Jan-13 16:29:55

We also do the Jamie recipe regularly. The children like it.

He also has a salmon en croute recipe - he puts the salmon in the pastry with olive tapenade, sliced tomatoes, mozzerella and basil. that always goes down well too.

diddl Thu 10-Jan-13 16:32:21

Sounds really nice.

I also love salmon with a spinach & cream sauce.

attheendoftheday Thu 10-Jan-13 19:00:12

I'm veggie and I make salmon with pesto for dp. It's easy and foolproof. I wrap the salmon in tin foil parcels with a few spoons of pesto on top and it works brilliantly).

vole3 Fri 11-Jan-13 19:47:11

Thanks for the idea, simply delicious for tonight's dinner smile

GwendolineMaryLacey Fri 11-Jan-13 19:50:12

Mmmmmm, love salmon, love pesto. You could put it between two slices of mighty white and it'd be gorgeous smile

blonderthanred Fri 11-Jan-13 19:52:11

We do salmon with spaghetti & green pesto, think your idea sounds great.

Ninetyninepercent Fri 11-Jan-13 19:54:20

We had it last night - salmon, tsp of green pesto wrapped in parma ham. Very yum. Also like Delia's way too. En croute I would imagine would be equally yummy.

Spice17 Fri 11-Jan-13 20:01:10

Well, that's decided then, going to do a bit of a combo of the various suggestions.

Green beans, salmon and green pesto in shortcut pastry for the fish eaters and green beans, pesto and feta in mine! Do I need to part pre boil/steam the beans does anyone know?? Can you tell I'm no Nigella? so badly wish I was

Thank you all very much smile (feel bloody starving after reading this now!)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: