Advanced search

To with hold rent to landlord..

(62 Posts)
mrsL1984 Thu 10-Jan-13 07:34:56

Because he isn't maintaing the maintenance of the property. I've got failed double glazing. Two fence panels have fallen down. And two days before Xmas two windows shattered due to age and cold weather. First to things happened early 2012. We contacted landlord again Monday he just says we will ring?? Is it now beyond a joke??

HappyNewHissy Thu 10-Jan-13 07:39:33

You could make the repairs and pay for it out of the rent? Offer that to him.

If not, tbh, look for somewhere else to live.

HappyNewHissy Thu 10-Jan-13 07:40:16

Get his permission before you get the repairs done btw.

msrisotto Thu 10-Jan-13 07:40:24

You could offer to organise the repair and get the worker to invoice him? I wouldn't withhold rent, it won't exactly put him in the mood to help in the future and you don't want to be evicted.

mrsL1984 Thu 10-Jan-13 07:42:34

We offered that all he said was he will take it off rent arrears from 4 years ago

jumpingjackhash Thu 10-Jan-13 07:46:33

Your rent is in arrears? Might explain why he's in no hurry. I take it you rent directly, rather than through an agency?

Can you just fix simple things like the fence panels if it's just a case of whacking in a few nails?

CloudsAndTrees Thu 10-Jan-13 07:51:01

I not sure I understand, what does your ll mean by 'we will ring'? And what's failed double glazing? Do you mean it's getting condensation on the inside?

Btw, withholding rent is never a good idea, especially if you are already in arrears.

maddening Thu 10-Jan-13 07:52:51

Pay your arrears and rent and give him a months notice. Vote with your feet smile

mrsL1984 Thu 10-Jan-13 07:53:02

No the fence needs new metal supports! Rent arrears fom 4 years ago. We did initially offer 50 extra to cover he said no. He only brings up arrears when we ask for maintenance to be done! Surely safety and security to property is more important than rent arrears?

maddening Thu 10-Jan-13 07:53:56

Ps why not let him take it out of your arrears - you get it fixed and it comes off money you owe?

mrsL1984 Thu 10-Jan-13 07:55:22

800 (2months) arrears but I think the double glazing will need done on whole house therefore costing more thn arrears

CloudsAndTrees Thu 10-Jan-13 07:56:48

If he only brings it up when you are having problems, then he can't be that bad. He is being quite lenient, probably because you are good tenants. It sounds like he has been flexible with you, so he expects the same in return.

But you are wrong to think that the maintenance issues you are having are more important than rent arrears. More important to you perhaps, but not necessarily to him.

When you say that he said 'we will ring', does that mean he's ringing the people he needs to to make arrangements to fix things?

mrsL1984 Thu 10-Jan-13 07:57:05

Sorry cloud didn't see questions, ll says we will rung I presume to let us know somebody needs to be in? Dale glazing has condensation inside! Two broken windows in conservatory area, really thin and were cracked when we moved in

msrisotto Thu 10-Jan-13 07:59:09

wtf? You owe rent but are bitching that he's not fixing a fence panel? Let him take it out of arrears, you owe him money!

onyx72 Thu 10-Jan-13 07:59:45

Pay your debts. The landlord might be more inclined to help you.

CloudsAndTrees Thu 10-Jan-13 08:01:25

I'd get the fences and the windows fixed yourself, get three quotes for each and get permission for whichever one you decide to go with. Then provide him with receipts and let him take it off the arrears. Then chase him about the double glazing separately. Keep bugging him until someone has been round to make an Assessment and a recommendation.

You might be able to get the people that do the windows to give you advice about the double glazing at the same time.

hazleweatherfieldgirldetective Thu 10-Jan-13 08:05:37

Actually, I think owing the landlord £800 doesn't mean the OP should live in a house with broken windows and insecure fencing. Once one panel is down, it may only be a matter of time before the rest come down, potentially onto someone causing them a nasty injury.

If she owed the landlord £1000s, I may agree, but it sounds like the work that needs doing is far more costly than £800.

mrsL1984 Thu 10-Jan-13 08:06:11

Will ask landlords again what he think! Thanks fr input

ArtVandelay Thu 10-Jan-13 08:10:44

I would say don't withhold your rent. He sounds like a laid back person - which is lucky with your arrears. Pop a letter Round to him saying what is broken (serious stuff that affects your quality of life) and ask him to get back to you with a plan within one week. He should be fixing things like windows but you also need to be constructive and fair as tennants. (I have tennants; by accident and necessity not an evil buy-to-let empire builder smile ) I don't see how he could rent it to new tennants like it is, but then you don't want the costs of a move unexpectedly. Good luck.

mrsL1984 Thu 10-Jan-13 08:17:26


CloudsAndTrees Thu 10-Jan-13 08:21:16

If the work is going to cost more than the arrears, then you will be able to prove that by getting quotes. I think you are going to have to be very pro active to get things sorted, as the LL isn't going to be inclined to be when you still owe such a substantial amount of money.

It really doesn't matter that it was four years ago that you didn't pay rent, that debt will have accumulated, and you are in arrears now. I'd check your contract to make sure he isn't going to add interest.

valiumredhead Thu 10-Jan-13 08:36:12

Personally I think you have a cheek even asking considering you owe him £800! shock

LIZS Thu 10-Jan-13 08:45:14

Withholding rent , especially given your current arrears , would not be advisable and put you at risk of eviction. It also weakens your case for any repairs such as fence which is after all not essential. If you are so unhappy with his attitude can you not move ? However you would have to pay what you owe in full.

milf90 Thu 10-Jan-13 08:48:46

Wow, why do you think you have the right to moan when you owe £800??? Yes you are bu and you need to get quotes as pp posters have said and just ask him to cover the difference if there is any! How ridiculous...

mrsL1984 Thu 10-Jan-13 08:48:55

I am aware needs paying like I said up thread we have told him what we n pay additional to our rent to clear it! He didn't accept that!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: