Talk

Advanced search

New shape of Dairy Milk

(217 Posts)
JollyToddles Mon 07-Jan-13 20:06:07

They have ruined Dairy Milk.

Bloody Kraft. I want the square shape back.

AIBU?

PandaOnAPushBike Mon 07-Jan-13 20:13:05

Doesn't taste the same either sad

Savannahgirl Mon 07-Jan-13 20:15:50

I know someone who worked for Kraft until they bought Cadbury's, moved the offices to Middlesex, made said employee redundant and pretty much ruined their life.
Bloody Kraft.

MrsHoarder Mon 07-Jan-13 20:16:14

Most importantly, its gone from 49g to 45g. Ok so its a calorie saving but I want my extra 4g of chocolate! [stamps feet]

CloudsAndTrees Mon 07-Jan-13 20:16:53

YANBU. It's crap.

OddBoots Mon 07-Jan-13 20:17:11

I've not bought it in a while, what shape is it now?

Wommer Mon 07-Jan-13 20:17:28

What shape is it now?!confused

usualsuspect Mon 07-Jan-13 20:18:36

They changed the shape so they could use less chocolate, sneaky fuckers.

Sokmonsta Mon 07-Jan-13 20:19:49

It's not the same. Thankfully the chocolate in Heroes hasn't been messed with yet. It's still cubes.

JollyToddles Mon 07-Jan-13 20:20:42

It's round. Each of the squares is now rounded. I would have been happier if they'd removed a square.

The lady in morrisons was laughing at me having a rant at the chocolate shelf.

PrincessOfChina Mon 07-Jan-13 20:20:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JollyToddles Mon 07-Jan-13 20:21:50

swns.com/wp-content/themes/wp-clear/scripts/timthumb.php?src=http://swns.com/wp-content/uploads/SWNS_LESS_CHOC_09.jpg&w=600&h=400&zc=1

New bars

ControlGeek Mon 07-Jan-13 20:22:04

I don't eat chocolate very much, I don't have much of a sweet tooth, but when I do, a bar of dairy milk is such a treat. It's one of those heinz (or is it hellmans blush ?) advert type things - it has to be rectangular, and it has to have corners that hurt the roof of your mouth until you've sucked them smooth. Saw the revised bar in work's vending machine the other day and nearly cried.

ResolutelyCheeky Mon 07-Jan-13 20:22:41

They have messed with the taste of caramels in heroes though, they taste plasticy

5dcsinneedofacleaner Mon 07-Jan-13 20:23:58

Thats just wrong! dairy milks are not ROUNDDD.

bureni Mon 07-Jan-13 20:26:10

buy the Caburys from Lidls, it is still the same since its made in Ireland.

kaiserfootmuff Mon 07-Jan-13 20:27:54

that looks crap, my older ds will moan, it's the only chocolate he eats

OddBoots Mon 07-Jan-13 20:27:59

Ugg, yuck! I hope the bigger bars are the right shape.

Purple2012 Mon 07-Jan-13 20:35:13

Well that's just great, i have a cake mold that is the shape of a large bar of cadburys and now it's all wrong!

QuickLookBusy Mon 07-Jan-13 20:39:23

How very dare they!

Why fiddle with it? It was perfectly fine before.

Fakebook Mon 07-Jan-13 20:39:23

Ugh. They look like little constipated turds now. It's supposed to be a BAR of chocolate. Idiots.

pictish Mon 07-Jan-13 20:41:00

That's outrageous!!!
If it's not broken, don't fix it!! FFS!

Rectangles rule, oblongs drool.

Lets complain en masse! Bitterly!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shock

ICanTuckMyBoobsInMyPockets Mon 07-Jan-13 20:41:37

Aero has changed aswell. It's all roundy.
I liked to bit the solid bit off the edges then eat the bubbly bit. Now it's ruined hmm

JollyToddles Mon 07-Jan-13 20:42:43

I'm so glad I'm not the only irrational one person who is upset about this.

CaroleService Mon 07-Jan-13 20:42:56

That is just cultural vandalism.

JollyToddles Mon 07-Jan-13 20:43:30

Wikipedia says it has been the same shape since 1905.

cinnamonnut Mon 07-Jan-13 20:45:20

Each segment looks like a little brown slug sad

nickelbabylyinginamanger Mon 07-Jan-13 20:45:42

fucking hell.
I'm shocked.
i thought they understood not to diss about.
twats¡¡

hatgirl Mon 07-Jan-13 20:46:06

in my local fuel station the cadburys always has a layer of dust on it, I swear I'm the only person that must buy it. I think I have an untapped supply for a while....

nickelbabylyinginamanger Mon 07-Jan-13 20:46:25

diss?
i meant piss about

Dinnerdinnerdinnerbatman Mon 07-Jan-13 20:46:27

Bloody hell. Why couldn't they leave it alone??

First Kitkats (buggering the wrapper up) and now this.

I am in a huff now.

Foggles Mon 07-Jan-13 20:46:38

Probably Elf & Safety lot said they had to get rid of the corners in case they had somebody's eye out.

SoleSource Mon 07-Jan-13 20:47:03

The chocolate does NOT taste the same. It tastes of steralised milk.

SoleSource Mon 07-Jan-13 20:47:52

Foggles grin

Foggles Mon 07-Jan-13 20:48:01

Ooh no. Sterilised milk. My mum still has that - it's vile.

Fakebook Mon 07-Jan-13 20:48:28

I haven't eaten dairy milk for years tbh. It tastes chalky. I'm sure they meddled with the ingredients a few years ago. I'm a galaxy fan myself, but I'm still VERY ANGRY about the change of shape. <crosses arms>

OddBoots Mon 07-Jan-13 20:48:31

Literally cutting corners!

GwendolineMaryLacey Mon 07-Jan-13 20:48:33

What the actual fuckety fuck is that supposed to be? This has not improved my crap day one iota angry

JollyToddles Mon 07-Jan-13 20:49:39

Sorry Gwendoline.

Maybe if MN complain en masse (Cadbury Dairy Milk have a facebook page) then we could achieve something?

bureni Mon 07-Jan-13 20:52:16

Not sure what the fuss is about, its not even real chocolate no matter what shape it is.

BigStickBIWI Mon 07-Jan-13 20:52:27

I'm amazed that they have done that. I did a lot of research for Cadbury, years ago now, and one of the key things about Dairy Milk is the feel of the square in the mouth, and how it makes the chocolate melt.

pictish Mon 07-Jan-13 20:55:13

If you need to be snooty bureni go and find somewhere else to do it.

We hold our Cadbury Dairy Milk very dear, whether it is 'real' chocolate or not.

Hmmmph.

Pickles101 Mon 07-Jan-13 20:58:32

It's horrible, all smooth and ugh sad and it doesn't taste the same, it's all sickly and weird and awful sad what deliciousness will get me through period cramps now sad retreats into bedroom sobbing heavily

Foggles Mon 07-Jan-13 20:58:49

If we want round chocolate, we can have buttons. Unless they're going to make those into triangles.

bureni Mon 07-Jan-13 20:59:11

Snooty lol, you should try some real chocolate and get a buzz.

JumpingJackSprat Mon 07-Jan-13 21:00:16

i was really annoyed when i saw the new shape of caramels the other day... its obviously to use less chocolate (i doubt the price is coming down though!) oh well i used to find them irrisistable but now im being conned ill find it much easier to not buy them! wink

2kidsintow Mon 07-Jan-13 21:01:25

I like cadbury, but am not impressed by the new shape either. I like my chocolate to be uniform in thickness.

Tabliope Mon 07-Jan-13 21:02:59

I'm really annoyed too. It definitely tastes different - sweeter and more sickly. I was recently in Dublin airport and in the newsagents there they had the original shape and it tasted like it used to. They also had Cadbury's Tiffin - anyone remember that? Also, a mint crisp cadbury's and a few other old flavours that I can't seem to get in the UK. I'm not buying it anymore. The taste is horrible now and I don't think I'm imagining it.

JollyToddles Mon 07-Jan-13 21:04:14

I haven't bought one of the new bars. I can't bring myself to do so. They are not right sad

Charliefox Mon 07-Jan-13 21:06:58

The taste is definitely different and not as nice. Which is good news for me, as it means I'm eating less of the fat-and-zit-inducing stuff.

GwendolineMaryLacey Mon 07-Jan-13 21:08:08

Don't get me started on Irish chocolate. The last time this came up I had to beg an Irish MNetter to send me some. And she did. I got a jiffy bag stuffed with Moros and Caramellos. Yum yum yum <happy sigh>

Love MN I do.

bureni Mon 07-Jan-13 21:10:51

Gwen, it is different from the dairy milk made in Poland. Lidls generally stock the Irish dairy milk here in N.I but not sure about Lidls stores in Britain.

PiccadillyCervix Mon 07-Jan-13 21:25:24

looks a bit like a poo now

JollyToddles Mon 07-Jan-13 21:29:28

It does sad

PiccadillyCervix Mon 07-Jan-13 21:35:45

So it's not all bad then really. All the better to let loose in a public pool!

AlexReidsLonelyBraincell Mon 07-Jan-13 21:54:57

angry Now my chocolate doesn't match my mug. (I still have one of those mugs in the shape of a chunk of Dairy Milk and you can't drink from it without spillage, but that's not the point).
I'm very annoyed about this, still, I am cutting out chocolate for a while anyway so Cadbury's is a good start.
Incidentally I tasted Roses at Christmas, they were rank! Putting soya into them has ruined them and they're all soft and bleurgh.

AlexReidsLonelyBraincell Mon 07-Jan-13 21:57:00

Yy to Irish Cadbury's, so much nicer, our local Irish centre sell it so we can stock up when the need takes us.

SPBInDisguise Mon 07-Jan-13 22:00:09

But surely if you buy the bigger bars they're still chunks? I should know

FamiliesShareGerms Mon 07-Jan-13 22:01:36

YANBU

JollyToddles Mon 07-Jan-13 22:02:11

Yes. But they are square rather than rectangular.

We usually have a 400g bar in the cupboard. Apparently they are reducing the size of these to 360g though.

MagicHouse Mon 07-Jan-13 22:03:36

Can't believe I'm alone in thinking they look just the right shape for stuffing several delicious ROUND pieces in all in one go grin YUM!

ArbitraryUsername Mon 07-Jan-13 22:04:32

They've done the same to caramels. It ruins the filling to chocolate ratio, in addition to giving you less. Bad on all possible fronts.

It might also be that the chocolate is not as good any more too, but I refuse to buy another one after I was disappointed on the train in December.

SPBInDisguise Mon 07-Jan-13 22:05:55

Caramels haven't been the same since they lost their foil wrapper

threepiecesuite Mon 07-Jan-13 22:06:34

I HATE rounded corners. You can't get a decent enough grip to snap off the piece when it's been in the fridge. What the 'eck are they playing at?

God job I don't buy it anymore since it started tasting absolutely rank. Chalky someone said, that's right, it IS chalky.

Galaxy, however......... <yum>

FierySmaug Mon 07-Jan-13 22:06:34

Yanbu about the rubbish new shape.
However, I did buy several one of the large sized Dairy Milk recently, and the chunks were the original chunky shape. Maybe it's just the smaller bars they've ruined? Big one tasted the same as usual too.

pumpkinsweetieMasPudding Mon 07-Jan-13 22:12:28

Looks horrid & tastes cheap and nasty!

PippinWoo Mon 07-Jan-13 22:24:26

This is outrageous. sad

MunchMunch Mon 07-Jan-13 22:25:06

There's just some things in life that's not meant to be messed with and dairy milk is one of them!

Imo it started when they took the foil away and put them in the sealed packets they are in now - crap! Then the changed the shape from big chunks to a more molded flatter shape And now they have the nerve to make them smaller and rounded ffs!

If they change the recipe I will NOT be happy.

I have a bar downstairs that I specifically sent ds1 to the shops for with my nightly cuppa so it better be good or there'll be he'll on. <and breathe...>

MrsEdinburgh Mon 07-Jan-13 22:35:42

The chocolate does not taste the same now that Cadburys have changed the shape of Dairy Milk, Whole Nut etc. It tastes cheap & feels cloggy in your mouth & claggy in your throat.

I refuse to buy/eat Whole Nut now (was my fave chocolate).

OhMerGerd Mon 07-Jan-13 23:08:33

It is awful, and surely they must be losing money. I've not bought any cadbury's chocolate over this christmas for stockings or gifts. It tastes. Rank ....

MimsyBorogroves Mon 07-Jan-13 23:38:50

Yes, I thought the taste had changed but wasn't sure if it was just me.

Sickly and artificial, and it doesn't melt right.

Fuckers.

thinkfast Mon 07-Jan-13 23:55:22

I'm with you. Lets start a campaign. Til they put it back the way it was I'm opting for green and blacks

Darkesteyes Tue 08-Jan-13 00:10:37

My mum opened a box of Roses when we were round there at Christmas. I had one out of it. the Hazlenut Whirl. Was not nice. I got a tin of Quality Street from my nephew and his girlfriend for Christmas and i never thought id say this but i now prefer them out of the two. I knew Kraft would do this.

FarelyKnuts Tue 08-Jan-13 00:15:43

So glad I live in Ireland where they don't mess with our chocolate grin
Still prefer galaxy though!

OscarPistoriusBitontheside Tue 08-Jan-13 00:18:13

They've been at the fingers too! Less chocolate and they tasted different. Fuck off Kraft!

aamia Tue 08-Jan-13 00:23:55

Yanbu it tastes awful now. I only buy mars now and will not eat cadburys.

JollyToddles Tue 08-Jan-13 07:02:23

My son is never going to know real Dairy Milks. What sort of world have I brought him into???

AndABigBirdInaPearTree Tue 08-Jan-13 07:07:30

Oh god, yet another British thing gone all newfangled and trendy.

Somebody link Kraft to this thread?

AndABigBirdInaPearTree Tue 08-Jan-13 07:08:04

I'm still pissy about Smarties not being in a tube.

I'm going to be cross about this for a long time.

crockydoodle Tue 08-Jan-13 07:14:35

Agree with Quality Street now better than Roses. Luckily I am close enough to The Republic of Ireland to source proper chocolate easily.

RuleBritannia Tue 08-Jan-13 07:15:06

Yes, Kraft is certainly spoiling things British. Don't buy Dairy Milk any more and they might go back to the original - OUR original.

RuleBritannia Tue 08-Jan-13 07:16:17

Americans have to have everything American, don't they? Don't they realise that there are other cultures out there? Come on Richard Branson!

Isildur Tue 08-Jan-13 07:19:20

I used to like those paper thin bars of dairy milk (marketed at very small children, I think blush) but they are definitely not the same without the lovely foil wrapper.

Irish Dairy Milk is nice, but is it just me, or is the price relatively high? Even buying a small bar in Ireland, I definitely notice the price difference between that and the UK ones.

The varients are nice too, Tiffin, Golden Crisp, the turkish delight type one..

MadameCastafiore Tue 08-Jan-13 07:22:01

Well that's it for me, I'll stick to maltesers! They can't fuck with those can they. The ritual of eating the chocolate off then sucking the honeycomb will go on. They've messed up my kit Kat ritual and Aero, now bloody dairy milk!

Revolt I say!!!!!!

peanutMD Tue 08-Jan-13 07:22:23

Erm... This happened months ago, there was a big uproar about it.

Last summer I think, it was in the news and everything!

They said it was to 'update' the old but everyone was saying no its to up your profits because they put the price up by 1p and shaved a few grams of the bar by removing the corners.

MadameCastafiore Tue 08-Jan-13 07:24:44

Sorry, where has the smarties tube gone? How do they sell them now? Packets, pick and mix??????

JollyToddles Tue 08-Jan-13 07:34:38

Peanut... Google tells me the decision was taken in September. However my local shop has only just started selling them. So because I don't read the national papers cover to cover I hadn't spotted it until it started to make a difference to me.

peanutMD Tue 08-Jan-13 07:39:08

Jolly don't get your knickers in a twist I was just pointing out it happened a while ago.

I only saw it because I was visiting my dairy milk addict Gran when it was on and, oh the drama grin

theplodder Tue 08-Jan-13 07:39:52

Everything will be tasting like Hershey bars soon.... that spoilt milk / sick taste in your mouse. Bloody Kraft!

theplodder Tue 08-Jan-13 07:42:48

in your mouth, even.

JollyToddles Tue 08-Jan-13 08:31:09

Sorry peanut, I'm just so pissed off!

Dairy milk is the only chocolate I really eat so they've ruined chocolate for me sad

GwendolineMaryLacey Tue 08-Jan-13 09:23:47

Multipack of four bars are still chunks ... £1 in Tesco express

[diet starts here emoticon]

HollySheet Tue 08-Jan-13 09:36:05

theplodder, leave my mouse out of this, he's done nowt wrong! grin

I haven't eaten Dairy Milk in years, when I was at school the only chocolate bars they would sell/allow was cadburys because they boycotted Nestle!

Stinkyminkymoo Tue 08-Jan-13 09:47:36

I'm sorry but Cadburys hasn't been right for a while now hmm. I have to confess to having to defected to Galaxy counters. Like Minstrels but naked. Mmmmmmm

MackerelOfFact Tue 08-Jan-13 10:11:45

Nooo! This is the main reason I prefer Dairy Milk over Galaxy - the chocolate just melts all wrong when it's not in a nice rectangle.

At least they can't possibly do that to the larger bars. Can they?

Fakebook Tue 08-Jan-13 10:18:34

Cadburys don't make adverts like this anymore either. sad.

Ephiny Tue 08-Jan-13 10:27:33

I knew they'd made the bars smaller as well as changing the shape angry. Haven't made them any cheaper though...

nickelbabylyinginamanger Tue 08-Jan-13 10:28:33

i've tweeted them :

@dairymilk if anyone wants to start a campaign.

Psammead Tue 08-Jan-13 10:28:51

I...

<whispers>

like the new shape.

It looks as though it would fit just nicey into the roof of your mouth.

However, I would kill most of you and walk over your bodies just to get hold of even the tiniest bit of cadburys, no matter how rank. I've had it with this super swanky Swiss chocolate. Gimme Cadbury's nooooow!

LittleMissSnowShine Tue 08-Jan-13 10:34:02

New bar = travesty!! Also live in Ireland (tho am a northsider!) but have access to both non-messed with Cadburys delicious goodness and this new Frankenstein stuff. New stuff def doesn't taste as good sad ;(

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »