Talk

Advanced search

To wonder if Amazon Prime is worth the £49 a year?

(82 Posts)
KenAdams Mon 07-Jan-13 15:25:49

I do order from them a lot but I don't know if its too much to pay for next day delivery. I'd get Amazon Family membership too, but that's only really useful if you need stuff that's on offer. Has anyone got it? Do you think it's worth it?

LovesBeingAtHomeForChristmas Mon 07-Jan-13 15:29:09

If you look in the product tests there was one on this

ChasingSquirrels Mon 07-Jan-13 15:32:52

my DP has it, I sometimes use his account to order - and it is nice to know things will come the next day - but I don't think it is worth £49 a year.

threesocksmorgan Mon 07-Jan-13 15:33:32

I pay it, but then I use it loads

Doodlekitty Mon 07-Jan-13 15:39:04

Do you have a kindle? They have just launched a kindle library for prime

BettyandDon Mon 07-Jan-13 15:40:15

I always get super saver free delivery and on many occasions my stuff arrives next day, do I would say its not worth it.

Tee2072 Mon 07-Jan-13 15:40:59

I had it for free for a month when I bought my Kindle Fire.

I didn't keep it up because I am almost never home for deliveries anyway, so next day means nothing to me! I also think the Kindle Library is kind of lame, since you can only borrow one book a month. I read about 30 books a month, and can borrow them through my library on my Kindle anyway.

TheCraicDealer Mon 07-Jan-13 15:41:31

I'm currently very annoyed at myself for forgetting to cancel the free trial (a day late- I could weep) and getting charged the £49 for a year. Only realised today, ruined my lunch.

If someone comes on and tells me that I can cancel it I will love them forever.

valiumredhead Mon 07-Jan-13 15:42:17

We signed up when it was free for 4 months - not sure we'd bother again and the kindle library only lets your borrow a book a month which is pretty poor imo.

JollyToddles Mon 07-Jan-13 15:42:40

I agree with Betty. I use amazon loads and always use Super Saver delivery. Things always arrive quickly so I don't think paying the extra would be worth it.

TraineeBabyCatcher Mon 07-Jan-13 15:45:22

My mum has it and yes its very useful. I can have everything delivered for free, to her house Mum orders loads so she probably saves herself what she pays, just in a months use, plus its next day pretty much all the time.

I guess it depends on how much you order.

KindleMum Mon 07-Jan-13 15:52:36

I've had the free trial about 3 times now - they keep giving me it whether I want it or not. I've never found it useful. I almost always use the free SuperSaver and whenever I've thought the next day delivery would be useful, it simply hasn't turned up on time. I don't know whether they use different couriers for Prime but in both London and Yorkshire for me personally Prime has actually averaged as slower than SuperSaver. Told Amazon CS that and they didn't seem at all surprised - they offered me yet another free trial!

niceupthedance Mon 07-Jan-13 16:02:56

I've got it, have used it a lot to get uni books in an emergency. However sometimes things have to be signed for which is a PITA if I happen to have popped out for half an hour and miss them.

FriedSprout Mon 07-Jan-13 16:03:03

I used to have it and it was brilliant, I used Amazon quite bit..

However, over the last year or so I have had deliveries days late, usually delivered by sub-contacted self- employed guys using their own cars. These could turn up late in the evenings which was not great either. Several times I had to chase deliveries, and was told conflicting things as to the goods whereabouts.

I finally contacted Amaon to complain because paying the extra for Prime should mean next day delivery, only to be told that " next day delivery referred to the date they send it out, not front he date of my order!!!

I cancelled Prime and was refunded the cost.

CharlotteBronteSaurus Mon 07-Jan-13 16:08:31

I'm on my second free trial
we did have an item that took several days to get here in mid-December.
I emailed, and they extended the free trial by another month
it's got me out of a few nearly-missed-birthday situations, but i think fifty quid is too much - i'd rather use the one-off express delivery as and when I need it.

Trills Mon 07-Jan-13 16:16:36

I have it.

I work from home some days so it's useful to be able to make deliveries come on the days that I am in.

cocoachannel Mon 07-Jan-13 16:18:32

I have it for the same reason as Trills. It was very useful in the run up to Christmas!

Twinklestarstwinklestars Mon 07-Jan-13 16:19:14

Ring them up my friends dh forgot to cancel and they refunded him.

Varya Mon 07-Jan-13 16:21:28

Shocked to see £49 on my Cr card bill and cancelled immediately. Not - IMO - worth it in these austere times.

fuzzpig Mon 07-Jan-13 16:24:15

I use super saver. I tend to buy things like Xmas/birthday presents well in advance anyway, so the extra couple of days really makes no difference. I have to say the free delivery is excellent and often it is despatched/arrives much sooner than expected considering it is 2nd class.

The amazon family thing didn't really interest me as my DCs are 5 and 3 so well out of the baby phase it seemed to be aiming at (I may be wrong) - and if it had been around while ours were tiny, DH worked for Boots anyway so we got brilliant discount on everything we needed.

I had thought about the library kindle thing making it possibly worth looking at but if it's only 1 book a month, no way! £49 is a lot of money for convenience.

munchkinmaster Mon 07-Jan-13 16:25:00

I am on mat leave and have it. Perfect for me as I'm in a lot and was good when baby tiny and I couldn't get to certain shops easily. Really helpful in certain situations e.g we moved and realised pram wheels would wreck hall carpet. Ordered a runner - there by lunchtime the next day. No way I could have lugged one back from the shops with the pram. Encourages extra spending though

diamondsneezer Mon 07-Jan-13 16:29:56

I love it and am on my 4th year of membership.

We use it loads though, particularly for things like presents for family in other parts of the country, children's birthday parties the DC are going to the next day and we haven't got a present, as well as for ourselves. My DSis also uses it for college textbooks and presents.

We live in the country and the cost of going into town, paying for parking and then paying full price for books, DVDs, etc. makes the membership worth it.

As we are off the beaten track the delivery drivers just leave the parcels in the porch so we don't have to sign.

Also, whenever they are late I have complained and they have given me an extra month of membership.

So yes, I love Prime!

fuzzpig Mon 07-Jan-13 16:29:58

There was also the fact that a lot of things are not eligible for prime - marketplace items mainly. We are into a lot of rare/out of production books, DVDs etc, and those have postage fees. I would really resent paying £49 but still having to pay those fees.

IShallWearMidnight Mon 07-Jan-13 16:31:45

thanks for reminding me to cancel my free trial smile. That's saved me £49.

NetworkGuy Mon 07-Jan-13 16:35:33

Apparently in N America, the payment for Amazon Prime makes you eligible for Prime Instant Movies and TV

If they did it here, I would think the additional cost was worthwhile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now