Talk

Advanced search

Help should I do something? What can I do?

(11 Posts)
AmandaCooper Mon 07-Jan-13 13:25:01

Just in town have just witnessed a guy with a little girl aged about 3 on reins, she was screaming he was dragging her along. When she fell, he dragged her along the ground by her reins for a few feet. It was awful. When he got her up still screaming he then hit her really hard, so much so that I went straight up to him and said "what's going on? You seem very agitated" he calmed down a bit at this and said he was fine and he seemed to quieten down. Another woman and I looked about for a police officer or council warden but there was no one about. Have seen people whack their kids in public before but deliberately dragging a 3 yo child face down across concrete is in a different league it was definitely assault. Should I call the Police now or is it too late?

Boggler Mon 07-Jan-13 13:26:34

You've probably lost the opportunity to get help by writing tis post - of course you should ring for the police - now

BonaDea Mon 07-Jan-13 13:27:00

I would still call the police if I were you. If it was in town, no doubt it is on CCTV and they may be able to track the guy down. He sounded deranged and just because you (bravely) approached him and calmed him down, it doesn't mean the child isn't at home being beaten right now. Call the police.

gimmecakeandcandy Mon 07-Jan-13 13:27:38

Oh my goodness that is shocking! Not sure how you can find who he is? Maybe CCTV cameras can identify him? Phone the non emergency police line for advice?

BabeRuthless Mon 07-Jan-13 13:27:59

Ring the non emergency number. If it was a town centre then there will have been CCTV which may have caught what happened.

AmandaCooper Mon 07-Jan-13 13:42:42

Thanks sorry for the late reply was on the phone to the Police. Have made a report.

AmandaCooper Mon 07-Jan-13 13:44:56

Feel a bit bad about reporting it for some mad reason.

WaspFactory Mon 07-Jan-13 13:45:26

Jesus, good on you for approaching him, not sure I'd have the courage.

WaspFactory Mon 07-Jan-13 13:46:20

Don't feel bad, you did the right thing.

AmandaCooper Mon 07-Jan-13 13:47:30

wasp it was really out of character for me, I didn't even think about it I just went straight over.

BabeRuthless Mon 07-Jan-13 14:02:13

I reported a guy a few months back because I thought he was under the influence while driving. Had a bit of a wobble after making the call but people on here assured me I did the right thing. You did too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now