Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To refuse to eat meals at DH's aunts?

(10 Posts)
JoJoCK Sun 06-Jan-13 18:37:47

DH's aunt brought him up and so is basically the equivalent to my MIL. MIL passed away quite a while ago . Aunt is lovely- kind, generous, always welcoming but the worst cook I have ever met. The last meal she cooked for us had so much salt in it I could barely eat it, and I eat everything apart from liver and kidneys (it also had kidneys in it but I could deal with that!). Plus some of the ingredients and the dessert were out of date which is an issue for me atm as i am pregnant. For some reason she thinks she has to cook us a proper meal every time we visit her,but I just can't face eating there so we are refusing meal invites with excuses and she won't accept our suggestions to visit us or for us to drop in mid afternoon etc.
So, should we be honest and tell her we don't like her food...or come up with some sort of kinder reason why we cannot eat meals there. We have tried arranging to take her out for meals/bringing food over only to find a meal being cooked when we arrive which is obviously awkward.

CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 06-Jan-13 18:40:32

YANBU. Hints obviously don't work and 'you're a rubbish cook' is true but hurtful, sadly. Try 'we've already eaten' or, if she insists on putting stuff in front of you, take a polite bite but declare yourself full.

HugoDarling Sun 06-Jan-13 18:40:53

Honestly I would suffer through and laugh about it later. You can just say that you couldn't possibly eat anything just now, nauseous/ morning sickness etc.

pod3030 Sun 06-Jan-13 18:43:23

blame the pregnancy, say you can't face most food and are living on ... what ever takes your fancy. i lived on smash when i was preg, you can't go wrong with smash ;)

DozyDuck Sun 06-Jan-13 18:50:42

You're pregnant, it's easy, morning sickness excuse. When you have the baby you might have to suck it up again though

JoJoCK Sun 06-Jan-13 18:56:40

Baby is due in 3 weeks so not long until I'll have to suck it up again! I might have to be on a low salt/very restrictive diet for the next few years now! I have put on quite a bit of weight!

carabos Sun 06-Jan-13 20:02:52

Just don't eat it. If she asks why say, "I'm not hungry, thank you".

Hassled Sun 06-Jan-13 20:08:28

I had this same problem with my MIL - lovely woman, godawful cook (and I'm not a fussy eater or PG or anything - it is just inedible awfulness). We just say now that we'll be arriving at say 2pm and we'll already have eaten and we need to be away by some time well before an evening meal grin. I think she's just racked it up to "ways in which DIL is a bit odd".

Boardiegirl Sun 06-Jan-13 21:09:44

Agree with Hassled. Awkward one this! When you have the baby you will be able to say for at least a month that youre not going out much but she is welcome to visit. The older generation are used to this from the time thay felt they had to stay home with a new baby.
That gives you a months grace at least!!

pictish Sun 06-Jan-13 21:27:59

This is funny because MY dh's aunt is a much cherished woman, but also a dreadful cook!
I would describe the best meal of hers I've ever eaten as 'edible'.

Trouble is, she actually fancies herself quite the foodie. I think her tastebuds must be disfunctional.

We just choke down what we can. Sorry!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now