Talk

Advanced search

To wonder if its so unusual not to have a tv?

(43 Posts)
ScariestFairyByFar Sat 05-Jan-13 18:21:41

I haven't had a tv for six months and every person that comes into my living room goes on and on about it! I watch tv but on the computer and dd watches cbbeies on it too.

MrsKeithRichards Sat 05-Jan-13 18:22:24

Meh

ohchristmastree Sat 05-Jan-13 18:24:41

What does all your furniture point at? grin

(Friends reference, I'm not being rude!)

CaptChaos Sat 05-Jan-13 18:25:17

We didn't have a TV in the sitting room for about 5 years. DS had a TV/video combi job in his room to watch Thomas on, but other than that we watched no TV. Still had to have a bloody licence though!

People do treat you like you're some kind of utter freak if you don't have a TV, but we never watched it, so it gathered dust, so I got rid. We only have one now because, when I met my DH he had one and brought it along with him. It's rarely on unless DS is home from school.

FreyaFridays Sat 05-Jan-13 18:25:29

I think it's becoming more "normal" with the advent of more and more media devices. I wouldn't have a TV if it weren't for DP wanting his one in the living room. I watch what I want on the laptop/tablet when I fancy watching it. I like not having to stick to the TV schedule, and the fact that I can carry the programme round the house wherever I want to watch it. The only thing I watch on the TV is Downton Abbey!

CreamOfTomatoSoup Sat 05-Jan-13 18:27:01

I don't have a TV but we do live in the 1950s.

porridgewithalmondmilk Sat 05-Jan-13 18:27:40

I didn't have one until recently (got it in the NY sale at Tesco) and regret it! It's cost a fortune! grin

usualsuspect Sat 05-Jan-13 18:27:41

I don't know anyone that hasn't got a TV, so I would think it pretty unusual, yes.

everlong Sat 05-Jan-13 18:28:09

If I lived alone I wouldn't have one. Never have it on in the day.

TooMuchRain Sat 05-Jan-13 18:29:02

We have one but no licence as we only watch DVDs, I don't think it's odd.

FreyaFridays Sat 05-Jan-13 18:30:01

Be careful, TooMuchRain, I think you're still supposed to have a license in that circumstance.

ahusband Sat 05-Jan-13 18:30:04

YANBU. We have a TV but haven't used it for years. Use iMac or iPad.

InNeedOfBrandy Sat 05-Jan-13 18:31:50

Im thinking about moving tv into my bedroom, dc already have a tv and DVD player in their room and when we watch tv it's usually a film which we could do on my bed and I want to snuggle up in bed on a nighttime instead of being in living room.

But then couldn't have movie nights with friends and things like boxing day where family came over and we all watched the brave and pirates adventure with scientists and surprisingly had a great time slobbing after Christmas. I wouldn't want random aunties and uncles sitting on my bed.

Ephiny Sat 05-Jan-13 18:34:57

I didn't have one for years (and never missed it). I don't think it's odd at all. There are so many other forms of entertainment these days.

Tbh we pretty much never watch broadcast/live TV now, only movies and series on DVD, which you could just as well watch on a computer if you have a good screen.

Weissdorn Sat 05-Jan-13 18:37:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lueji Sat 05-Jan-13 18:39:38

Yes, you need a TV licence, regardless of what you do with the tv.

We got a licence reminder on the post when we bought a DVD player.

Not odd. I can live without a tv and have spent many happy holidays without one, but as it's here it's well used.

Back2Two Sat 05-Jan-13 18:39:53

We haven't got one. Haven't had one since before we had children.
Actually have never had one as a couple. But we do watch stuff on the computer. And I'd like a film projector for movie nights!

inadreamworld Sat 05-Jan-13 18:40:58

We don't have one either. Watch stuff on the computer sometimes. Don't miss TV. Only a few people have said anything. Maybe when DD older we will get one just for DVDs.

HarrietSchulenberg Sat 05-Jan-13 18:42:21

You don't need a TV license if you don't watch programmes on live TV. See here.

OnceUponAThyme Sat 05-Jan-13 18:43:32

it's not that unusual, especially with computers now. a few of my friends don't have a tv.
I'd be lost without mine though, what would I stare at while ignoring my inlaws? grin

InNeedOfBrandy Sat 05-Jan-13 18:43:33

I thought it was just live tv you need a license for.

pickledparsnip Sat 05-Jan-13 18:48:17

I don't have a tv. Well I do, but only to watch dvds on as my laptop's disk drive is buggered.

Has been years now & I don't miss it.

Rattitude Sat 05-Jan-13 18:49:02

You are correct, Brandy: TV licence rules.

Eskarina Sat 05-Jan-13 19:09:25

We've never had one. Not for any real reason, just inaction on our part, it's never seemed important enough to go to the effort of having a tv aerial installed! We do get lots of comments along the "but what do you do in the evenings?!" lines...mostly as we have a baby dd we eat and sleep whilst we can!

3smellysocks Sat 05-Jan-13 19:49:25

We don't have one and about 4 of our friends don't either. We do watch iplayer though sometimes. We got rid of our TV because there was rarely anything of interest on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now