Talk

Advanced search

To leave my dog

(33 Posts)
Paddlinglikeaswan Fri 04-Jan-13 21:59:55

From 8 til 12 then 1 til 3'its not ideal it's mon to thur only and fri morn only.he is 6 months old and my circumstances have changed I feel so bad leaving him.he is cage trained and stays in his big cage with food water toys and bed.gets half hr walk am and lunch and hour evening.

Paddlinglikeaswan Fri 04-Jan-13 22:09:05

This is causing me major stress I love him sooooo much,I thought I had a family helper in my dad but his cancer has deteriorated making it un realistic for him to help

For how long?

I wouldn't do this long term - 7 hours in the day in a crate plus 8 hours at night I assume? Too much.

EauRouge Fri 04-Jan-13 22:11:26

Is there no doggy day care near you?

Boomerwang Fri 04-Jan-13 22:14:43

Be realistic. That's too long to spend in a crate. Crates aren't meant to be locked, they're just a secure area to retire to with the door left open.

If this is going to happen long term, please look into rehoming the dog while it's still young.

Just imagine it was you in there all day. You couldn't live with it.

Paddlinglikeaswan Fri 04-Jan-13 22:16:20

No doggy day care we r very rural it is 6 hrs with 1 hr break in between n lots of walks stays in our room at night

Paddlinglikeaswan Fri 04-Jan-13 22:17:01

In total it's 28 hrs a week

Any way you could pay for someone to come in and walk him in the morning? Or take him to work? It is a long time if it's going to be long term.

Paddlinglikeaswan Fri 04-Jan-13 22:18:36

Also if not acceptable what are my options I really would prefer to keep him.he is a total love

SauvignonBlanche Fri 04-Jan-13 22:18:46

Why does he need to be in a crate?

JustAHolyFool Fri 04-Jan-13 22:18:56

Is there someone else that could come out and give him a walk/some company? A friend/neighbour/family member? Or could you put an advert up for someone?

Butterycrumble Fri 04-Jan-13 22:20:39

Yes you can. Your dog is walked, loved, crated whilst you are out only and you are aware your times are a maximum.

Don't even think of rehoming, and I volunteer within rescue.

ScarlettInSpace Fri 04-Jan-13 22:22:39

Does he have to be in a crate?

We leave our dog in the Kitchen 2 days a week with a baby gate in the doorway so the cats can get through, I feel better that he has the run of the room, would feel dreadful locking him in a crate all day..,

RyleDup Fri 04-Jan-13 22:22:44

Does he need to be in a crate? I wouldn't think twice if he had a bit more house freedom, but that time in the crate is not a great idea.

LadySybilPussPolham Fri 04-Jan-13 22:23:48

10 years ago I was single, working long hours and had a (beloved) Labrador who had the run of the house while I was at work. Not ideal but circumstances had changed and I had little choice. Had never heard of dog crates and still don't really understand why you would put a pet in a cage? Genuinely puzzled

TwoFacedCows Fri 04-Jan-13 22:33:42

i have 2 dogs, they used to do 6 - 10 hrs a day, most days. The were fine, but I always walked them for around an hour before I left them.

Perhaps you could take him for a run or out for a run while you cycle? give him the most exercise you can before you leave him? I also wouldn't crate him, my boys had the run of the house.

Get some kongs and fill with good stuff and then freeze them, give him one a day to keep him a bit entertained. I also left the radio on for my boys.

Jajas Fri 04-Jan-13 22:37:03

Do you not have a friend or someone who could come in even if just for company? He is very young to be left although they do still sleep a lot at that age.

So sorry about your Dad xx

Damash12 Fri 04-Jan-13 22:37:49

I used to leaves dog from 9 til 5pm and he was fine but he did have the run of the house. I wouldn't put on a crate for that length of time.

CheshireDing Fri 04-Jan-13 22:39:02

As others have said why does he need to be in a crate? He is 6 months old now. Our dog was never ever crated (there is no house crate big enough).

He gets walked in the morning then after work, then if he wants a quick nip to the corner for a bedtime wee. Weekends are different because we have more time.

He and the cat have the run of ground and middle floor of the house when we are not in (just not top floor of bedrooms as they would be slobbing out in the beds!) grin

We have even left them in the house if we have stayed out for 1 night and we get the pet company to come in and feed and take them out, just leave Smooth FM on.

CheshireDing Fri 04-Jan-13 22:39:28

Filled Kongs are a very good idea too as somebody said.

AnameIcouldnotthinkof Fri 04-Jan-13 22:39:32

I used to leave my dog for a similar time a few years ago.
He was fine. Used to walk him for an hour before and an hour at the end of the day.
I didn't have a dog crate though I just used to lock him in the kitchen during the day.
Just get some godd treats and toys to keep him happy and I am sure it will be okay. smile

ScarlettInSpace Fri 04-Jan-13 22:41:49

Lol at smooth fm our pupster gets radio 1 all day and lumps it grin

saintmerryweather Fri 04-Jan-13 22:41:51

do not give your six month old puppy as much exercise as you can, his joints are still developing and he shouldnt be overexercised, definately dont take him running while you cycle. you shouldnt do that sort of exercise till the dog is at least 12 months old

whathasthecatdonenow Fri 04-Jan-13 22:42:05

When I got my rescue dog from the RSPCA I could only have him if I signed a piece of paper to say he wouldn't be left for more than four hours at a time. You would be within this limit.

If you can leave him out of the crate but with access to it that would be better, I think.

I always walk my dog well before I go out, he's 13 now so 45 minutes tires him right out for at least 2 hours. I also leave the radio on. I close the blinds so that he can't see any cats running across the garden as that upsets him.

He won't eat treats/play with kongs etc unless someone is in the house, but he does seem to enjoy his freedom and knock all the cushions on the floor. In fact just this morning he obviously thought I'd already gone and when I went into the sitting room to say goodbye I found him sat on the floor on a pile of cushions with a busted expression on his face!

ScarlettInSpace Fri 04-Jan-13 22:43:17

Although he has stopped chewing the skirting since fern cotton went on maternity hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now