Advanced search

To not understand why some people write 'kin' instead of 'can', 'wan' instead of 'one' etc?

(99 Posts)
FiveSugarsPlease Fri 04-Jan-13 19:07:21

Not sure if it's just a Scottish thing (since i don't know many people who aren't Scottish), but why on earth wouldn't you just write the correct spelling when it has the same amount of letters as the wrong spelling?

I'm Scottish too, but i don't thing i've ever wrote in 'Scots' before. Lately, I've noticed a lot of my friends texting me in this way, or people's comments on FB.

Here's an excerpt of the latest convo on my newsfeed between my friend and someone he knows:

Yae doin anyhin tonight babez?
Naw, nuhin dawl. U uptae anyhin?
Naw kin a jist cum roon tae yours en?
Aye nae bother. Pm me.

WHY? I realise this is a very trivial thing, but i just don't get it. Surely it would be quicker to write 'No' than 'Naw'?

LindyHemming Fri 04-Jan-13 19:08:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LindyHemming Fri 04-Jan-13 19:10:00

CheCazzo Fri 04-Jan-13 19:10:23

Would drive me garretty tbh. I can't even stand 'hunni' - really can't stand it - same amount of letters as 'honey' so why do it? Just why?
There will be someone along shortly who'll say all this doesn't matter and that language evolves blah blah blah grin

MissAnnersley Fri 04-Jan-13 19:11:21

I love Gary, Tank Commander. grin

SauvignonBlanche Fri 04-Jan-13 19:11:21

Because they want to?

MrsKeithRichards Fri 04-Jan-13 19:12:46

Ach wind yer neck in ye crabbit besom

vacuuming Fri 04-Jan-13 19:13:12

Irvine Welsh fans perhaps?

LindyHemming Fri 04-Jan-13 19:14:42

Salmotrutta Fri 04-Jan-13 19:14:42

Well, tbh, if that's how they would chat to each other in RL then it would look über-weird if they started texting or posting in pan-loafy style. grin

MrsKeithRichards Fri 04-Jan-13 19:15:49

Hud oan the noo, if it's guid enough fur yon grufallo, it's guid enough fur me.

squoosh Fri 04-Jan-13 19:19:05

It's the same as Scottish men being called Tam and Wullie (and spelling it like that) instead of Tom and Willy.

YeahBuddy Fri 04-Jan-13 19:19:37

It's just people typing as they talk, I don't get it myself but come across it ALL the time.
For example, local dialect where I live dictates that 'can't' is pronounced 'kent' and so a lot of my friends actually type 'kent' instead of 'can't'! Other abominations are 'music' pronounced 'moooosic', 'Tuesday' pronounced 'Toosdee'... You get the picture - makes me angryangry

LineRunner Fri 04-Jan-13 19:20:57

Euphemia, it's taken me back to the days of the Sunday Post and reading ... was it ... The Broons? I recall Oor Wullie, too.

MrsKeithRichards Fri 04-Jan-13 19:21:39

It's Scots dialect. Look on iPlayer for a programme called blethering Scots. Very interesting.

squoosh Fri 04-Jan-13 19:21:57

Talking like that is fine(ish) but actually writing like that . . . . . I'm afraid I judge and that judgement is 'they must be thick'.

LindyHemming Fri 04-Jan-13 19:22:07

LindyHemming Fri 04-Jan-13 19:24:46

Salmotrutta Fri 04-Jan-13 19:25:03

Ah yes, The Broons - poor Daphne was always unfavourably compared to Maggie and The Bairn was the apple of everyone's 'een.

werewolvesdidit Fri 04-Jan-13 19:25:10

Ach I ken - ah'm black-affronted fur ye.

When I was a wee girl, I wanted to be Oor Wullie and only wore dungarees for ages (and sat on a bucket) till my ma went mad and burnt them all sad

Salmotrutta Fri 04-Jan-13 19:26:08

Burns must have been pretty thick then squoosh ... hmm

squoosh Fri 04-Jan-13 19:27:12

Oh 'babez' is Scots is it?

stargirl1701 Fri 04-Jan-13 19:27:52

YANBU. It's irritating. I have to read it out loud to understand it.

MrsKeithRichards Fri 04-Jan-13 19:27:59

It's dialect, Scots, you can buy dictionaries for it if you're struggling to keep up. I speak Queens English when needed, which is most of the time but I will speak in my own way when I wish. It's far from thick.

BumpingFuglies Fri 04-Jan-13 19:29:44

Glad it's not just me that remembers the Broons Salmo grin

It's dialect in a written form. Meh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now