Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To feel a bit hmmm about this....

(36 Posts)
Shesparkles Fri 04-Jan-13 16:34:18

It's nothing earth shattering in the scheme of things!
I'm pretty open minded about most things, but a couple I know have just posted a load of photos on FB of something they did over the holidays, and I really don't know what I think or feel-not that it's any of my business-but it's just not sitting right with me.
The photos are of an outing with friends to a Rocky Horror Show, where they did the full on dressing up thing.
Don't get me wrong, I've been to rocky horror a few times and done the dressing up, and it's been brilliant fun, but I'm seeing photos of them, the guy in particular, fully dressed in stockings etc, along with their 17 year old daughter who has the stockings/basque/sexy thing going on too.
I know as far as anyone can ever know that it's been done only in the spirit of the Rocky Horror thing, but can't help feeling really uncomfortable at seeing kind of provocative photos of father and daughter together like this.

I need to get a map to the grip shop don't I ....

TheSkiingGardener Fri 04-Jan-13 16:36:37

Yes

Booyhoo Fri 04-Jan-13 16:36:45

yes. grip needed. they dressed up for a show. this has been going on for years it's what people do when they go to teh rocky horror show. would you have rather the DD didn't go or that she didn't dress up or that she didn't stand near her dad?

sue52 Fri 04-Jan-13 16:38:05

It's a bit of fun and nice to see a middle aged man put in a bit of effort. It really depends if he has the legs for it though. Oh and get a grip too.

Schlock Fri 04-Jan-13 16:38:52

A grip is definitely in order. Do you have teenagers? grin

I do, I wouldn't dress up to go to rocky horror with them but that's only because:

a) I don't like rocky horror

and

b) They won't be seen out in public with me right now. Perhaps that will change in a year when she turns 17.

There's nothing very sexy about rocky horror is there?

kotinka Fri 04-Jan-13 16:39:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

catgirl1976geesealaying Fri 04-Jan-13 16:39:15

Yup you really do need a grip, sorry sad

Shesparkles Fri 04-Jan-13 16:40:29

Yes I have a teenager, and no she'd not be seen dead with me in anything lie that grin

I'm sending out for a grip now! grin

Provocative photos of father and daughter? Really

mcmooncup Fri 04-Jan-13 16:40:46

Dunno, I'm sort of with you OP confused

MrsMelons Fri 04-Jan-13 16:41:42

YABU, I think I was 14 or 15 when I first went with my parents and their friends. Its the Rocky Horror Show and 2/3 of the audience do it.

Its just bit of fun!

Delayingtactic Fri 04-Jan-13 16:42:05

Yes you do. I would want to crawl into a hole and disappear rather than do that with my straight laced dad but I think it's nice that they are having fun.

I'm actually cringing at the very idea of my dad dressed up Rocky Horror style.

Jins Fri 04-Jan-13 16:43:26

Yeah - you need a grip

Have you seen Rocky Horror? Been to a show? There's absolutely nothing provocative about the audience smile

CoolaYuleA Fri 04-Jan-13 16:44:13

I was younger than that when I first went to Rocky Horror smile

KenLeeeeeee Fri 04-Jan-13 16:45:15

Yep, extra grippy grip required I'm afraid.

Rocky Horror isn't vaguely sexy. It's absurd, tongue-in-cheek, funny and silly. I've been to the live show 4 times, always dressed up & never encountered anyone appearing genuinely sexually appealing in all their get-up.

BTW, I was 14 the first time I went.

nickelbabylyinginamanger Fri 04-Jan-13 16:45:43

yup, YABU and grip firmly needed.

nkf Fri 04-Jan-13 16:48:26

I thought only men on student rag weeks dressed like this. Probably a grip needed though I kind of think it's a mixture of odd, daft, naff and embarrassing.

Ragwort Fri 04-Jan-13 16:48:49

I would find it slightly odd too but I am sure that is because it is the sort of thing I would never, ever have done with my dad (certainly wouldn't now as he is in his 80s and I am in my 50s grin) so I guess part of how you feel about something like that is imagining yourself doing it IYSWIM - probably not explained that very well.

Equally I couldn't imagine doing that with my son either grin.

rechargemybatteries Fri 04-Jan-13 16:49:16

It's Rocky Horror it's what you do. My kids wouldn't go with me though

YABU

nickelbabylyinginamanger Fri 04-Jan-13 16:51:43

nkf - you have obviously never been to the show then!

about 5 people in the audience don't dress up.

nkf Fri 04-Jan-13 16:54:35

I've been to the film about 200 times and nobody dressed up. They did light their lighters though and I think there might have been a bit of dancing.

Shesparkles Fri 04-Jan-13 16:54:51

Ragwort, that's exactly it! Maybe it's even a bit of weird envy on my part.....

Like I said, I've been to rocky horror when i was a student and done the dressing up and it as great fun. I KNOW it's not vaguely sexy as a show, it's just seeing the photos has thrown me a bit, and I'm struggling to work out why!

Do Aldi sell good grips?

nickelbabylyinginamanger Fri 04-Jan-13 16:55:33

how weird.

MrsMelons Fri 04-Jan-13 16:57:04

nkf At the theatre pretty much everyone dresses up. Everyone stares at those who don't!

ChippingInLovesChristmasLights Fri 04-Jan-13 17:00:36

Maybe it was seeing the photos on facebook rather than seeing them 'in context' at Rocky Horror. I mean - if you'd left the Rocky Horror bit out of your OP and just said they'd posted photos of christmas and they were dressed like 'x' the replies would have been vastly different grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now