Talk

Advanced search

to wonder if it can be safe to drive like this?

(6 Posts)
PurpleTinsel Wed 02-Jan-13 20:09:24

DH, DS & I went to a cafe yesterday. We waited outside in the car park for a bit for the PILs, as we'd come separately.

While we were waiting, a couple with 3 dogs, which looked a bit like half grown labradors, went back to their car. The dogs got in the front of the car as well. After a few minutes, they drove off - I had a good view through the windscreen as they drove off - and 2 dogs were sitting on the passengers knee, and the third dog on the drivers knee.

I've seen car passengers holding dogs before, but I've never seen a driver do this. I'm not a dog owner, so possibly might be a bit overcautious here, but it looked a bit unsafe to me for the driver to be driving with the dog on his knee.

AIBU?

diddiehunter Wed 02-Jan-13 20:40:34

YANBU! im a dog owner and she goes in the boot! thats really unsafe! clearly that dog could prevent the driver from steering,seeing and cause alsorts of damage! god some people are so inconsiderate! if there was achild running out onto the road and you dont see because you are a thick git and had a huge dog on your knee........try telling that to the kids parents!angry

Booboostoo Wed 02-Jan-13 21:16:33

Very dangerous for everyone involved. The loose dogs may distract the driver causing an accident and unrestrained dogs will fly out of the car. No excuse really as there are plenty of solutions, e.g. crates, boot grates, doggie seat belts.

anykey Wed 02-Jan-13 22:03:48

I agree! Very dangerous. Esp not being fully grown. Older dogs tend to stay still more!

But there's nothing funnier then a dog with its head out the car window! Gets me every time grin

GaryBuseysTeeth Wed 02-Jan-13 22:06:35

Yanbu.

Insecure load, if they did it around here they'd probably get a ticket & a very boring lecture.
Dogs going through the windscreen when they crash, even worse when you see people doing it with kids.

MousyMouse Wed 02-Jan-13 22:07:47

not safe at all. dogs should always be in the back, ideally buckled in (you can get special harnesses) or in the boot separated by a mesh.
they are invalidating their insurance driving like this!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now