Talk

Advanced search

To think that dd1's broken netbook should be replaced or repaired asap at no cost to dd1?

(101 Posts)
D0oinMeCleanin Tue 01-Jan-13 20:53:38

Dd1 rarely uses it. DH is always on it. He always leaves it rested on the sofa, he never puts it away. Dd2 also likes to use it and leaves it rested on the sofa.

On the rare occasions I have seen dd1 with it she puts it back in the netbook bag I bought her or puts it on top of my xbox under the TV. I have never seen dd1 leave it on the sofa. I have known for her to hide it from DH and dd2, but generally only in places I myself would keep it.

It has been dropped, the hinge and power button have broken. It will turn on but frequently switches itself off. No one is taking responsibility for it. Dd1 is a bad liar. I firmly believe her when she tells me she knew nothing about it being broken until this evening and that it was working fine when she used it last week. DH and dd2 are better liars and both insistent that it was working yesterday, when they used it. I saw it working yesterday when dd2 was last on it. I also saw dd2 close it and put it down, still working. Somewhere between that afternoon and the evening it has been broken. I did not see anyone using it after dd2, when it was still working but I went out to work. It must have happened while I was at work. No one is admitting to using it in this time.

I think it should be repaired or replaced asap because it was dd1's birthday gift last year and she should not have to suffer because other people cannot look after things they borrow. DH is denying any responsibility and saying she should not have a new one if this one cannot be repaired cheaply.

OnlyWantsOne Tue 01-Jan-13 20:55:35

Ask / tell DP to get it replaced.

SminkoPinko Tue 01-Jan-13 20:55:56

Do you think your husband broke it and is lying to you?

PomBearWithAnOFRS Tue 01-Jan-13 20:57:42

Get her a new one and tell her to carry it about with her, or leave it with you, or buy her a "lockbox" or safe of some kind to keep it in. Tell your DH and DD2 that since they have both denied using it, they won't mind not using it anymore, and if they want one they can save up and buy one of their own, as DD was so upset that "something" happened to hers when she wasn't even using it and they are both so fucking childish determined to deny all knowledge of what happened.
Why should DD1 suffer because her parent and sibling are arses?

D0oinMeCleanin Tue 01-Jan-13 20:58:02

It was him or dd2. I know when dd1 is lying. DH and DD2 are both excellent liars. DD1 is a terrible liar.

Neither DH nor Dd2 will own up to even using it last night.

TheHoneyDragonsDrunkInTheIvy Tue 01-Jan-13 21:00:21

Can you check the search history to work out who used it last?

ihearsounds Tue 01-Jan-13 21:00:27

It should be replaced/repaired at no expense to your dd1.

Does she get to use their presents as and when she feels like it, and take no care in how its used?

OddBoots Tue 01-Jan-13 21:01:07

This isn't something I would normally suggest but could you check the history for last night?

ratbagcatbag Tue 01-Jan-13 21:01:27

Agree with Pom bears, get her a new one and password protect it and put it in a lock box, how sad. Is DH likely to lie though? If I broke something I'd DSS I'd apologise and repair or replace it, when I was younger if I damaged something of dbro then I'd swear on everything possible I'd not touched it.

D0oinMeCleanin Tue 01-Jan-13 21:02:11

It only shows up the last sites used. They don't often search things. They always use the same sites and they just show up in google window when they open Chrome.

It runs Windows 7 and Google Chrome. I don't know if there is a way to check the last site it was used on.

CloudsAndTrees Tue 01-Jan-13 21:02:21

Yes it should be repaired or replaced if you sure that someone other than the person that owns it broke it.

Where do you want the money to come from to make that happen?

Would your DH really lie about something like this? I could understand the lie from a child that is trying to avoid a punishment, but an adult would have no excuse, especially if his daughter was being accused.

nickelbabylyinginamanger Tue 01-Jan-13 21:02:34

dh should buy dd1 a new one that noone is allowed to use.

why should she suffer when she's obviously taken care of it and it's been used by the others?

TheHoneyDragonsDrunkInTheIvy Tue 01-Jan-13 21:05:58

It will still show where they've been

BluelightsAndSirens Tue 01-Jan-13 21:06:07

You need to ask DP if it was him, he shouldn't lie about it and she be replacing it.

Bad enough for DC to not admit it but a grown adult?

D0oinMeCleanin Tue 01-Jan-13 21:06:44

Yes I believe DH would lie, to avoid the cost of replacing one. If it was dd1 that broke it then it shouldn't be replaced. I think the money for a new one or a repair should come from our family savings account out of the holiday money and DD2 and DH should 'lose' half each from their holiday spending money.

A new, refurbished one of similar quality would cost £170, the netbook itself cost me £160, second hand. I don't know how much a repair would be.

TheHoneyDragonsDrunkInTheIvy Tue 01-Jan-13 21:06:47

Go into the tools icon, and it will show all the history

PersonalClown Tue 01-Jan-13 21:06:59

IN Chrome, ctrl + h will bring up the history and show you Time and date of all history (if it has not been wiped) and website/page name.
Ie mine shows this thread at 9:02pm

Should give you a start in who had it last.

RandomMess Tue 01-Jan-13 21:07:02

So he has form for lying about things then (as he's so good at it?)

CatPussRoastingOnAnOpenFire Tue 01-Jan-13 21:07:42

Repair it, and then password protect it, with only you and DD knowing the password.

Greythorne Tue 01-Jan-13 21:09:03

Is it normal for family members to lie to one another? If so, you have bigger problems than a broken computer.

CloudsAndTrees Tue 01-Jan-13 21:13:47

Does your DH acknowledge that dd1 didn't break it?

ProphetOfDoom Tue 01-Jan-13 21:14:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

D0oinMeCleanin Tue 01-Jan-13 21:14:19

Thank you PersonalClown.

The only sites visited since I know for certain it was last working were DH's sites. I can also see that he logged into my Facebook account and my Amazon account angry

It is being repaired or replaced tomorrow out of DH's holiday spending money.

Bubblegum78 Tue 01-Jan-13 21:14:48

Can you claim it on the home contents insurance and just pay the excess?

If it's not damaged enough then drop it or stamp on it, dropping and treading on laptops/ipads is a really common accident.

I would sit your DH down and tell him straight, she WILL be getting a new one come hook or by crook and DH and DS will NOT be using the new one.

You can also look on ebay, maybe you could get her a tablet instead? You can pick them up for £80-£100 2nd hand, it's a shame, I knew someone who was selling a Samsung Tablet for £100 but it's been sold :-(

I would seriously be telling my DH off for such shitty behaviour towards his own child.

QOD Tue 01-Jan-13 21:16:18

Oooooooooh he's been snooping!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now