Talk

Advanced search

to think this is an atrocious thing to say and not funny in anyway

(104 Posts)
uiler Tue 01-Jan-13 20:02:28

We were at a New Years Eve Party last night at my mum and her partners. I went to the toilet and asked my brother to watch my bag for me. About 20 minutes later I needed to get some money from my purse that I owed someelse there. I couldn't find it in my bag (I'd left it in the car). When I realised where it was I joked with me brother about my relief that he hadn't stolen it. My mums partner then interjected and said " (my brothers name) wouldn't have taken it, could you imagine if he got done for stealing and sent to prison he'd be tossed about in the showers like a dog toy" shock . Some of his friends then burst into hysterics at this and mum said "you are one you aren't you".

When I told DH about this he said its not funny but after a few drinks some people say things they shouldn't. My brother is only 14 and I think no matter what saying such a thing about your partner's son is totally unacceptable.

JumpingJackSprat Tue 01-Jan-13 20:04:25

its not funny and is inappropriate but i agree with your DH. not something to get majorly worked up about.

curiousuze Tue 01-Jan-13 20:04:30

YANBU - I hate all rape jokes

sherazade Tue 01-Jan-13 20:04:33

yanbu. what a disgusting thing to say about anyone let alone someone who is still a child.

M25Meltdown Tue 01-Jan-13 20:05:53

Not sure I understand your post, but you asked someone to watch your bag... Do you move in some very dodgy circles....?

squeakytoy Tue 01-Jan-13 20:05:55

just sounds like a typical drunk blokish comment... hardly atrocious or shocking...

financialwizard Tue 01-Jan-13 20:06:00

How inappropriate judgey pants hoiked up

uiler Tue 01-Jan-13 20:07:44

M25Meltdown- Not really but I would never leave my bag unattended.

CloudsAndTrees Tue 01-Jan-13 20:09:04

It was inappropriate because it was about a child. If it was aimed at an adult I wouldn't have thought it was funny, it's not remotely funny, but I would struggle to be offended at it. I think you are being a little over sensitive.

StanleyLambchop Tue 01-Jan-13 20:09:05

I thought you were overreacting a bit until I saw your DBro is only 14. I don't think that is acceptable to say to a child, even in a jokey way. YANBU.

CloudsAndTrees Tue 01-Jan-13 20:11:24

O second thoughts, are you annoyed because it was a dig at your little brother from his step Dad rather than because it was about rape?

I wouldn't appreciate a comment like that from a step parent about their step son, and thinking about it that way, it is out of order.

NewYearNewNagoo Tue 01-Jan-13 20:12:03

It's not funny and it is inappropriate but I'm not really shocked tbh. There is a huge wide of society who would laugh at that kind of shit, and you will look humourless and uptight if you made a big deal of it.

Hassled Tue 01-Jan-13 20:12:42

Yeah, that's pretty awful.

RevoltingPeasant Tue 01-Jan-13 20:13:12

Erm I am not easily offended or one to shout 'PEEEDO' at the first opportunity but that is actually really unpleasant.

I mean, 'tossed about in the showers' - to a 14yo - who is your stepson? Jeez. At best it's incredibly vulgar and at worst pervy. Ick.

Chottie Tue 01-Jan-13 20:15:05

I think it is a disgusting thing to say and I would have pulled her up over it.

TerraNotSoFirma Tue 01-Jan-13 20:15:11

Would they think it as funny if said about a 14yo girl.
Jokes about children being raped= not funny
People who laugh at them=wankers

uiler Tue 01-Jan-13 20:17:22

Cloudsandtrees- Thats exactly it

fourfingerkitkat Tue 01-Jan-13 20:17:30

Definitely not being unreasonable...I'm amazed at the comments some people will make especially with reference to male rape....

soulresolution Tue 01-Jan-13 20:18:51

Creepy thing to say.

Viviennemary Tue 01-Jan-13 20:19:02

It doesn't sound very pleasant. If you were at your family's why on earth did your brother have to watch your bag. And I think you were being a bit insensitive making a joke about being glad your brother hadn't stolen it. Which is probably why the other person made the next joke. All in all I'd forget the whole thing if I were you.

JustFabulous Tue 01-Jan-13 20:20:03

Why would you joke about your brother nicking your bag? confused.

Feelingood Tue 01-Jan-13 20:22:36

Omg didn't realise it meant that when I read it. For some reasons I read it as he would be tossed out, as in kicked out if became a thief.

It wasn't until I read first post....it is disgusting utterly, and you are right to feel defensive (?) for your brother.

I wondered why you had to get someone to watch your post if you were at their house or have I assumed that wrongly?

uiler Tue 01-Jan-13 20:23:10

VivienneMary- I was at my mums and I didn't know everyone there and I'm a bit overprotective I accept so I got him to watch it.

JustFabulous- It was just an off the cuff remark

SledYuleCated Tue 01-Jan-13 20:23:59

A rape joke about a child from a step-parent? Nasty, and quite sad for the child too to have something like that said about them.

digerd Tue 01-Jan-13 20:24:28

So long as your 14 year-old DB laughed as well, and didn't bother him, just forget it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now