Talk

Advanced search

To find the new singers in Les Mis hard to listen to when you love the original?

(106 Posts)
kim147 Tue 01-Jan-13 17:06:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BananaBubbles Tue 01-Jan-13 17:07:36

Do you mean the film,or the 25th anniversary concert?

kim147 Tue 01-Jan-13 17:10:04

2kidsintow Tue 01-Jan-13 17:11:12

I'm a big fan of musicals, but for some reason I've never watched or listened to Les Mis.
I'm going to watch the cinema release when it's out and am starting to look forward to it after looking at some of the stuff on youtube.

I've got other soundtracks that I love and I know what you mean. I listen to one particular version of Rocky Horror and can't listen to the version my DH owns (that I mistakenly put in my car) as it just isn't right.

FestiveFiggy Tue 01-Jan-13 17:12:27

I so agree!!!!! I have watched the 10th anniversary concert for years had it on VHS then DVD watched the 25th anniversary concert once wasn't anywhere as good!!!!'

Loved Michael ball!! Wonder if he will ever play valjean??

BananaBubbles Tue 01-Jan-13 17:13:09

Colm is the definitive Valjean for me too. Alfie Boe was ok,but not as good as Colm.

I thought the 10th anniversary cast were much better than the 25th,with possibly the odd exception. Nick Jonas was particuarly dire.

I haven't seen the film yet,only trailers and clips,but I'm not impressed with what I've seen so far,and Russel Crowe is a bloody awful Javert.He can barely sing.

TessCowDirect Tue 01-Jan-13 17:14:22

YANBU.

I will go and watch the film but will do so knowing the voices will not compete with the original cast (or many subsequent theatre cast members).

I do think I will be entertained though with the good cast and stunning imagery.

I remember not wanting to see the Phantom of the Opera film but quite enjoyed that.

millie30 Tue 01-Jan-13 17:15:42

I think Anne Hathaway's version of I Dreamed A Dream is the best I've heard, not pretty musical theatre style but how it should really sound- the pain of a woman who has sold her body, her hair, her teeth for her child and yet has the sad acceptance that it will never be enough. Brought me to tears.

kim147 Tue 01-Jan-13 17:16:00

TessCowDirect Tue 01-Jan-13 17:17:22

millie Anne Hathaway is definitely one of the reasons I am going to see the film. From the clips I have seen, she is amazing.

SecretNutellaFix Tue 01-Jan-13 17:18:02

I'm going to see the film as a sung film, rather than a film version of a musical I love so much, so I hope that I can keep them separate, if that makes any sense.

I far prefer the 10th Anniversary concert over the 25th.

NettoHoHoHoSuperstar Tue 01-Jan-13 17:18:08

I watch t6he 10th anniversary all the time, and wander round the house booming out, 'My name is Jeeeaaan Vaaljeeean', much to DD's disgust.
Still can't wait to see the film though.
I will sob like a baby when Eponine dies, as usual. I love Eponine.

millie30 Tue 01-Jan-13 17:21:29

TessCow same here. I've not yet seen the film but heard her version of the song and it has made me want to go!

TessCowDirect Tue 01-Jan-13 17:22:15

There are so many songs in Les Mis. to sob to Netto. Empty chairs at empty tables is another.

I have the whole soundtrack on my ipod and have been known to shed a tear whilst on the bus journey to work blush

SecretNutellaFix Tue 01-Jan-13 17:25:38

A Little Fall of Rain is guaranteed to make me sob.

JazzAnnNonMouse Tue 01-Jan-13 18:47:38

I think I will find it hard if they mix with the tempos too much and slow things down to make them more meaningful etc.
I am really really looking forward to the film though. I've loved the musical since I was little and my grandma used to cough over the naughty bits in the kitchen grin
I think it'll be fantastic cinema but a different experience to the stage show. Much like phantom (which I now look at as two different things) I love both.

marjproops Tue 01-Jan-13 19:12:09

Theyre fine except amanda siegfired (or whatever her name is)-saw the premiere prog a while ago on itv and she sounded like a twittery bird. thought the others were ok tho. I find Michael Ball smug.

What got me tho, it was the premiere red carpet stuff, yeah, ok, but theyre promoting a story about heartache/poverty/destitution/adversity/war, dust and grime etc and all the cast are there in their designer frocks, hair perfect, jewels dripping....didnt expect them to turn up in jeans and tshirts but still.......

marjproops Tue 01-Jan-13 19:13:34

btw dont like Ann Hathaway but from the bit Ive seen, shes blown me away. so authentic.

and 'empty chairs' get me....every time. just typing its getting the lump in throat!!!

NettoHoHoHoSuperstar Tue 01-Jan-13 19:15:26

I'm going with Giraffes and DD. I'm going to insist on sitting in the middle so they can both hold my hands when Eponine dies.
A little fall of rain <wah wah wah>
Must remember to take tissues.

NettoHoHoHoSuperstar Tue 01-Jan-13 19:17:06

My kitten is called Eponine grin

kim147 Tue 01-Jan-13 19:18:22

NettoHoHoHoSuperstar Tue 01-Jan-13 19:20:51

Oh god, bring him home <sobs>
Perhaps I shouldn't go.
It'll be like when I saw Romeo and Juliet, started crying halfway through and hoped they'd change the ending so they wouldn't die blush

hattymattie Tue 01-Jan-13 19:21:02

I agree entirely - I love Hugh Jackman normally but I speaks some of the bits,on Graham Norton last night he said whimpily "I'm Jean Valjean" instead of belting it out like Colm would have. I think I'll enjoy the film but I love Michael Ball and Colm Wilkinson.

I also thought Amanda Seigfried was a bid trilly. Eddie Redmayne sounds not bad at all though.

hattymattie Tue 01-Jan-13 19:59:13

I should have said "he speaks some of the bits".

lurkedtoolong Tue 01-Jan-13 20:06:38

I don't mind Amanda Seyfried being a bit rubbish, Cosette is a bit rubbish and no decent man would ever ever EVER choose her over Eponine. I am upset that Russell Crowe is nowhere near as good as Philip Quast and no-one will ever be as good as Colm Wilkinson. Every time I see the TV advert where he says "I know who you are, you're Jean Valjean" I want to shout "No, you're Jean Valjean."

Don't even get me started on that abomination Nick Jonas

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now