Talk

Advanced search

To have cleared the credit card off?

(69 Posts)
fber Fri 28-Dec-12 23:22:45

I was on online banking, dh has several accounts and I keep an eye on the business account and the house account. Last night I noticed that the credit card was looking quite maxed out (2k) and had had some late payments and was incuring about £25+ in interest the occasional £12 handling fee.

I saw that one of the other accounts was over 2k and so I swapped the money and cleared the card. Told DH. He went mental.

He said that that was his money he was saving (we are usually very casual, share everything etc)

He said what I'd done was out of order and he demanded an apology, I refused, saying that what I did was just common sense.

He says that he doesn't have 2k now, he'd been saving it. aibu?

FreshLeticia Fri 28-Dec-12 23:25:37

My DH would do exactly the same. The interest rates on savings are so low now that the best use of savings is to clear debts. Anyway, it wasn't 2k of savings if it was outbalanced by 2k of debts was it? At least you are quids in now and can save afresh.

PopMusicShoobyDoobyDoA Fri 28-Dec-12 23:25:59

YANBU for clearing cc debt as interest paid is much higher than interest received in bank account. YABU for not discussing it with DH first.

verytellytubby Fri 28-Dec-12 23:27:45

What popmusic said.

yohohoho Fri 28-Dec-12 23:27:46

Yanbu for wanting to do it.

Yabu for doing without a discussion.

HeadfirstForAMistletoeKiss Fri 28-Dec-12 23:30:33

YANBU to do it, it's common sense. Start saving the costs and interest you were incurring, it will soon add up.

CoolaYuleA Fri 28-Dec-12 23:32:16

YANBU to do it - YABU to tell him AFTER you did it.

larks35 Fri 28-Dec-12 23:36:35

Agree with others that it should be done after discussion. YADNU to have wanted it paid off though.

notnagging Fri 28-Dec-12 23:37:36

Yanbu & that will leave a late payment mark on his credit file which may also effect you if you need to get credit. Tell him to grow up. Why's he being so weird about it?

HeadfirstForAMistletoeKiss Fri 28-Dec-12 23:43:06

The money is still there, it's just in a different account, saving them the interest they were paying on the credit card. It didn't even need a discussion. It's not like she invested it into the retired reindeer fund.

WorraLorraTurkey Fri 28-Dec-12 23:45:48

YABU for not discussing it.

SantasHoHoHo Fri 28-Dec-12 23:46:30

He was saving it without the OP's permission or knowledge. Has he explained why or what for?

AnyFuckerForAMincePie Fri 28-Dec-12 23:49:15

bollocks to "you should have told him first"

what about the money he was "saving" (whilst idiotically accruing interest and late payment penalties)...he didn't "tell" her about that, did he ?

upstart68 Fri 28-Dec-12 23:50:25

Depends what account you used to clear it. E.g. was it the business one (e.g. corporation tax, creditors may have to come out of it), was it one he was using to pay his tax bill after self declaration?

What you've done is effectively lost the liquidity of it.

A lot depends on the circumstances. But as others have said, maybe discussing it before you did it would have been wiser.

yohohoho Fri 28-Dec-12 23:51:00

anyfucker she clearly says she watches the accounts. If she has access and watches the accounts why would he update her on what is in there. She can see for herself.

Where does it say he hid it?

MrsLyman Fri 28-Dec-12 23:52:03

Agree that YABU for not discussing with him first, whilst on the surface it makes financial sense the money could well have been ear marked for something equally sensible.

AnyFuckerForAMincePie Fri 28-Dec-12 23:52:43

he didn't "hide" it any more than she "hid" what she did

or they both did

which is my point

which one of them was making the stupid decisions though ?

polkadotsrock Fri 28-Dec-12 23:54:48

Gosh don't want to be mean but perhaps you need to keep a better eye on them, thus not putting you in this position again. Seems a logical thing to do though but next time just let him know what you're planning.

yohohoho Fri 28-Dec-12 23:55:44

it wasn't hidden it was sat in account.

no one is saying she hid it.

There is money in an account that everyone can see. The thing that partners do is discuss decisions. He didn't need to discuss it. She could see it.

Unless you, anyfucker, know the reason he wanted it in cash, you don't know who is making stupid decisions.

yohohoho Fri 28-Dec-12 23:56:25

Or rather if anyone is making stupid decisions.

MrsLyman Fri 28-Dec-12 23:56:25

We don't know why he was saving, there could be a big bill coming up, car starting to play up, boiler being a bit iffy, or he may suspect one of his clients is struggling financially which could lead to problems down the line.

You could say both equally stupid for not discussing before acting.

AnyFuckerForAMincePie Fri 28-Dec-12 23:59:26

yo ...you think that accruing late penalty payments is "not stupid" when the cash is sitting elsewhere ?

get yourself over to Martin Lewis's site, sounds like you need it

SantasENormaSnob Sat 29-Dec-12 00:01:42

Yabu

I would be furious is dh started fucking about with my accounts.

We have seperate money though.

Morloth Sat 29-Dec-12 00:02:47

It is pretty stupid to be throwing away money on interest payments unnecessarily.

However, I would mention moving 2k to DH before moving it just to see if there was a reason he had it set up that way.

yohohoho Sat 29-Dec-12 00:04:36

anyfucker is there a reason you are being rude?

If the cash was to pay his tax bill (not payable by credit card) he is screwed. Regardless of late payment fees. So paying the card off would be stupid.

Its all relative. I don't need moneysaving.com thanks nor any of their suposed superior twonks to k or good money sense.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now