Talk

Advanced search

To wonder whether people on here know that teething powders are homeopathy?

(178 Posts)
ArfAPandaTreacle Fri 28-Dec-12 09:09:42

Whenever the word 'homeopathy' is mentioned on here, you instantly get people saying that it's woo. Water doesnt have a memory etc.

But when someone posts asking why Ashton and Parsons is no longer on the shelf, you get a lot of replies saying how good it is, where you can get it, that Nelsons also do some (disclaimer - Ashton and Parskns and Nelsons and Boots own teething powder are all identical).

So out of interest, why when someone posts about teething powder do you never get anyone saying 'homeopathy is woo! Water has no memory.'

And why, when you have a 'homeopathy is woo' thread do you never get all those teething powder loving mums saying 'Actually, teething powder works really well for my baby.'

Please take this as the light hearted, inquistive thread that I intend it to be. smile

Megatron Fri 28-Dec-12 09:11:40

I don't really know what you're on about but Ashton and Parsons always worked well for mine. grin grin

AntsMarching Fri 28-Dec-12 09:13:03

I've just given dd2 teething powder and it worked a treat. I'm not against homeopathic treatment. I just don't know enough about it to know what it is.

Completely pointless post from me but I think YANBU smile

mellen Fri 28-Dec-12 09:13:20

The manufacturer describes them as being herbal rather than homeopathic.

Lilithmoon Fri 28-Dec-12 09:14:28

Because teething powders are a natural remedy, they contain camomile but not at a homeopathic dose.

AreYouADurtBirdOrALadyBird Fri 28-Dec-12 09:14:28

Woo.I love it.

Nixea Fri 28-Dec-12 09:14:53

I think you might've mixed homeopathy with herbalism tbh. Not sure about specific brands but the one I used many moons ago contained the whole, ground herb and not just a flower essence.

bamboobutton Fri 28-Dec-12 09:14:57

I did wonder how these powders worked but as i was so desperate with ds i gave them a try.

They did nothing so i am unsurprised they are woo powders afterall.

BoysAreLikeDogs Fri 28-Dec-12 09:17:51

A and P herbal, Nelsons homeopathic, IIRC

ArfAPandaTreacle Fri 28-Dec-12 09:18:50

hmm camomila in a sugary powder is homeopathy. Plain and simple.

BoysAreLikeDogs Fri 28-Dec-12 09:19:02

x posts with heaps of folk, sorry

Theicingontop Fri 28-Dec-12 09:19:10

Not homeopathy...

ArfAPandaTreacle Fri 28-Dec-12 09:19:51

A and P and Nelsons are 100% identical. Both are camomilla in a sugary powder.

They are both homeopathy.

BoysAreLikeDogs Fri 28-Dec-12 09:20:08

mmmk then

Nixea Fri 28-Dec-12 09:22:09

Just checked and A&P contain chamomile tincture, making them herbal and not homeopathic. Tinctures are a very different beast to essences used in homeopathy and actually do contain the active constituents rather than the "spirit" of the plant wink

HollyBerryBush Fri 28-Dec-12 09:22:27

you lost me on the 'water has no memory'

Theicingontop Fri 28-Dec-12 09:22:31

It depends on what you believe is relieving the symptoms. I reckon the sugar's doing a better job than the camomile.

ArfAPandaTreacle Fri 28-Dec-12 09:22:51

Links to show Im wrong? Im open minded and quite happy to put my hands up if Im totally barking up the wrong tree. smile

GalaxyDisaStar Fri 28-Dec-12 09:22:55

Are they? Nelsons are homeopathic. A&P describe themselves as herbal.

If it actually contains camomile, it's herbal, not homeopathic.

Never tried either though.

Panzee Fri 28-Dec-12 09:23:04

It'll be the sugar then. No wonder my boy loved it! grin

ArfAPandaTreacle Fri 28-Dec-12 09:25:42

I have no idea what 'water has no memory' means. Ive just read it on here as an argument that homeopathy is rubbish.

I did not know that Aand P was a tincture!

I was wrong then, thank God I name changed. I did wonder if this might happen.

grin

GalaxyDisaStar Fri 28-Dec-12 09:26:15

Here says it has an active ingredient. No idea whether it an effective herbal remedy, but that makes it herbal, not homeopathic.

bruffin Fri 28-Dec-12 09:26:31

Herbal remedies do work. There are certain herbs that have been demonstrated to work ie St Johns Wort, but most herbs that do work have side effects.

Homeopathy is something completely different and has not been proved to work any better than a placebo.

mellen Fri 28-Dec-12 09:26:32

OP- Do you know what homeopathy means?

2rebecca Fri 28-Dec-12 09:27:47

Chamomile is only a homeopathic medicine if no chamomile is actually in it ie the sachet had 1 drop of chamomile per litre or something similar. If you use chamomile in a decent quantity like chamomile tea then its use is as a herbal medicine not homeopathic. Also in homeopathic doctrine very dilute amounts of stuff is supposed to have an opposite effect so I presume homeopathic chamomile would be a stimulant!
These powders sound as though they are being used in a herbal way.
I just used paracetamol for teething pain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now