Talk

Advanced search

To exchange IL's gift to ds1 (John Lewis Cyber Beat)

(13 Posts)
lecce Thu 27-Dec-12 08:37:45

DS1 is 5 and DS2 3. ILs wanted to buy them both Innotabs but by the time they mentioned this to us in November, we had already got ds1 a Leappad. They said they would get an Innotab for ds2 and have a think about what to get for ds1. DS2 is really too young for this sort of thing, though it is nice to have for the future - if he hasn't dropped it and broken it by then.

They have got ds1 a Cyber Beat from John Lewis. It looks like a mini-mixing deck thing - 4 'drums' with various buttons, sound-effects etc. It doesn't look like he is going to get a lot from it, tbh, and, as it cost £45, that seems like a waste. They did ask dh's advice before buying it but on the phone, while they were in the queue to pay for it and dh was out with the dog confused. He didn't really get a chance to fully understand what it was, think about it etc.

We have seen an MP3 player online in John Lewis for £20 and would really like to get him some more Lego as he has really got into that over the last couple of weeks (when we had finished shopping for him) and he hasn't got a lot of it at all. The MP3 player is because it appears to be the one thing that the Innotab has that the Leappad hasn't, and we think ds would like listening to stories, in particular, on it.

Is that really cheeky? We don't want to offend them and really appreciate how generous they have been but hate to see such an expensive gift wasted. It seems more suitable for an older child who is learning to play drums, though if anyone has one and can tell me how great it is for a five year old, that would be great too smile.

merlottits Thu 27-Dec-12 08:41:15

I think it's cheeky to be honest. I think their gift sounds fine for a 5 year old boy?
I wouldn't do it.

BlackholesAndRevelations Thu 27-Dec-12 08:44:42

Dead cheeky. You have some ideas of what to get for his birthday, now. Would you envisage telling the inlaws what you'd done? Or not? Not sure what is worse tbh. YABU.

MistletoeAndMerryChristmas Thu 27-Dec-12 08:44:46

I would.

WitchOfEndor Thu 27-Dec-12 08:45:31

Change it for something he will use, no point having something sitting there unwanted. I give presents that I think people will like buy if they don't then they are more than welcome to change them. Especially if its a children's present.

SmileyPenguin Thu 27-Dec-12 08:46:18

Yanbu. Change it.

KittyFane1 Thu 27-Dec-12 08:55:36

TBH, you sound rude. Your DH agreed the present but you have (both?) now been busy finding more appropriate, worthwhile items for your DC. I feel sorry for your PIL who thought they had made the right choice. You might not like the cyber beat present but it's what was given and you sound ungrateful and dare I say it grabby.

lecce Thu 27-Dec-12 09:01:28

Well, he did agree it but based on not really knowing what it was. It was one of those phone-calls where they had clearly already made up their minds as they were queueing to pay at the time. I do think it makes sense to check before spending that amount of money on a child, if only to avoid duplicates.

It's not that I don't like it - did you read the OP? I don't think ds will get much from it - he has banged it and laughed at the silly noises it makes and I'm not sure that he will do much more than that. I find that a waste of their money, tbh. Also, it will be embarrassing if they ask ds about it/expect him to perform on it etc.

I'm not trying to be grabby, just ensure money is not wasted. I think we will speak to them and try and change it.

toomanydaisies Thu 27-Dec-12 09:02:32

I think ya probably bu. But I'm returning at least 50% of my mil's presents to our dc so I'm a bit hypocritical to say so! In my defence she's got both of them coats which they really don't need (both have several already). And she always gives me the receipt so....

KittyFane1 Thu 27-Dec-12 09:10:24

OP, a lot of toys are rather pointless and I see your point but I think you have found something you would prefer your DC to have. If your DC isn't interested in it at all (and has had the opportunity to play with it) talk to your PIL and ask if you can swop it.

naturalbaby Thu 27-Dec-12 09:17:51

I totally understand the feeling of 'waste'. My IL's have spent a lot of money at John Lewis at things my dc's don't get much use out of. I've exchanged a few bits in the past (mainly tiny baby clothes) but most of the time they had gone into the sale and it just made me feel guilty. At the end of the day they are happy, it's not causing a huge problem, we're not that pressed for space.

If you've opened it and used it I wouldn't exchange it. You have 2 dc's, I'm sure it will get some enough use over the years?

RedHelenB Thu 27-Dec-12 10:02:34

He might come back to it later & really enjoy it so personally I wouldn't swap it.

LittleMissKitschmas Thu 27-Dec-12 10:16:50

It's a moot point, you've opened it so unless it's faulty you can't return it.

If you're so desperate for your son to have music get a cheap CD player for his room.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now