Talk

Advanced search

to have a really sweet kind MIL. Seems rare on here.

(49 Posts)
Garnier Wed 26-Dec-12 12:50:11

She is just lovely. I don't understand why everyone has such awful MIL's. We will most probably all be MIL one day, if not already, I would hate for any prospective son/daughters in laws to hate me.

emsyj Wed 26-Dec-12 12:51:48

biscuit

Garnier Wed 26-Dec-12 12:52:29

pmsl grin

ImperialBlether Wed 26-Dec-12 12:52:39

You are lucky, OP! Some sound truly awful. I can't believe a normal nice person turns into a vile MIL though, can you?

bedmonster Wed 26-Dec-12 12:53:45

I love mine too!! She is amazing and so kind and welcoming. She has a huge family which she will be having round to dinner today and I can't wait as she is also a bloody fabulous cook!
wine here's to lovely MILs!!

Garnier Wed 26-Dec-12 12:54:38

Well no, I agree, but there seem to be some absolute corkers on here! I don't think I would have marrried dh if the MIL was that awful, or certainly not invited them over at christmas.

Garnier Wed 26-Dec-12 12:55:14

wine flowers to the few

BigShinyBaubles Wed 26-Dec-12 12:55:53

I like mine..mainly because I never have to see her grin

WorraLorraTurkey Wed 26-Dec-12 12:56:20

My MIL is really lovely and so is my ex MIL.

EverythingsDozy Wed 26-Dec-12 12:58:21

I don't mind mine, she's alright. I mean, she's not my mum (who obviously is the best mum in the world) but she isn't a horrible person (and she consistently tells me im the favourite DIL which sure as hell helps!!)

However, my BILs girlfriend hates her. I mean, they started an argument on Christmas day, that is how uncivil they are to each other, they just don't get on at all.

I think it depends on both people. You can have chalk and cheese or chalk and chalk...

Missjinglebells Wed 26-Dec-12 12:58:52

My MIL passed away this year and we have missed having her with us but we got all the old photos out last night and remembered all the good times we shared together. X

EverythingsDozy Wed 26-Dec-12 12:58:52

Consistently?? Constantly.

scaevola Wed 26-Dec-12 12:59:54

There was a thread (in 'chat' so will go pfft) a couple of days ago about lovely MILs and it didn't get many posts. Which is a pity, as MIL-dom is what lies in the future for many of us.

Mine is lovely!

Jinsei Wed 26-Dec-12 13:05:21

Mine is lovely. It probably helps that she lives several thousand miles away. grin

KindleMum Wed 26-Dec-12 13:06:47

I wonder how many are nice MILs to their sons-in-law and only awful to the DIL? I see this with my own family. My gran was a wonderful grandmother, a pleasant MIL to her daughters' husbands and an absolute witch to her only DIL. The DIL was a perfectly pleasant woman who did plenty of things for her, her only crime was being the woman who'd married gran's only son... It's a pattern I've seen in my family a lot - is it just us?

Oh, and my MIL wonders aloud often why none of her kids live near her..... there's a reason for that!

Lueji Wed 26-Dec-12 13:07:50

My ex MIL was ok.
I wouldn't say lovely, and she was a bit full on and talked for England.
But we got on and she made me feel welcome at her home.
And she didn't meddle with DS.

In some ways, better to deal with than my mum.

Salbertina Wed 26-Dec-12 13:08:23

Mine is lovely too, thank goodness! An energy ball, eccentric and kind. We always fall out after a couple of days but make up, love her to bits and am v grateful for her esp as have v difficult dm.

Lueji Wed 26-Dec-12 13:09:45

I'm going to be a very demanding MIL, of course.

Any prospective DIL will be met mostly with suspicion and criticised at every opportunity.
Who could possibly be good enough for my perfect DS???
wink

peaceandlovebunny Wed 26-Dec-12 13:11:18

i had a mother in law for a while. didn't like her then, don't like her now.

NinthWavingAtTheSnowman Wed 26-Dec-12 13:11:46

Mine is amazing. She is currently plying me with chocolate and booze while I watch crap films. She also gave me awesome Xmas pressies: Viktor & Rolf perfume and some JL vouchers grin

WhereMyMilk Wed 26-Dec-12 13:12:11

My MIL is bloody wonderful, and we all adore her.

Can't wait until they move nearer us!

Garnier Wed 26-Dec-12 13:13:40

scaevola - I didn't see the thread in chat, otherwise I would have joined in there, so pfft to you too! With bells on grin

ratbagcatbag Wed 26-Dec-12 13:13:44

My mil is lovely, really nice and helpful and appreciates when we can help out at all smile

susanann Wed 26-Dec-12 13:15:31

my ex MIL was lovely too. I still see her even though me and EXH have been divorced for 8 yrs. My MIL to be is lovely too. Im obviously very lucky! Some of the stories on here make your hair curl!

ReindeerHooves Wed 26-Dec-12 13:19:05

I think that there are plenty of lovely MIL's out there, mine is great if a little dull and my sister loves hers to bits (well she's not married and is still v young but has been with her boyfriend for years).

I think that people like to let off steam on here about crappy relationships - your relationship with your inlaws is not one you choose (eg partner, friends) or one you grow up with (family) so is somewhat forced on you whether you like that person or not. It's bound to cause conflict in a lot of cases. What I don't understand is why MIL's get all the flack, I'm sure that FIL's can be just as awful. My FIL is also lovely, but a million times more annoying than MIL.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now