Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to be upset about my gifts

(22 Posts)
mamamibbo Wed 26-Dec-12 10:38:41

all the inlaws,my grandma,my great grandma and my cousin gave me wine for christmas

im tee total and i have been for 5 years, there were 8 bottles of wine!

absolutely no thought has gone into my presents this year, (although dh gave me an iou for a massive gift for my birthday in 3 weeks)

so i got a dressing gown for christmas

n the plus side, school will be !ok on their next raffle collection

fatlazymummy Wed 26-Dec-12 10:55:35

YANBU. Your family members should know if you drink or not. Being teetotal is a big deal to some people [it is to me] and I would be upset if my family members ignored that.
Hope you get a lovely birthday pressie from your husband!

HeathRobinson Wed 26-Dec-12 10:57:15

Why don't you give it back?

ZebraInHiding Wed 26-Dec-12 11:01:07

Wow. That seems odd if they know you are teetotal. sad I think I would be upset s well

BigShinyBaubles Wed 26-Dec-12 11:01:36

YANBU.. very thoughtless of them.
My Dad is teetotal because of medical reasons, he always used to have the teeny bottles of port before for Christmas. But now none of us would dream of getting him any alcohol!
Very insensitive IMO.
BTW the school always gets my unopened boxes of chocolates!!

WipsGlitter Wed 26-Dec-12 11:03:18

Are you teetotal or an alcoholic? It's just if its the former they may think its only a phase, or that you occasionally have a glass or unless you've made a hoo-haa they might not realise you've stopped drinking. Do you see them often?

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Wed 26-Dec-12 11:14:49

That was thoughtless and horrible. I would be dreadfully upset, too.

TidyDancer Wed 26-Dec-12 11:16:19

Probably a redundant question, but they do know you're teetotal, don't they? Ie these are not people you only see once in a blue moon and therefore they haven't realised?

peaceandlovebunny Wed 26-Dec-12 12:09:06

presents don't matter. they are things you don't want from people you don't bother much with. as you say, wine will make excellent raffle prizes. don't give it a second thought.

YABU- at least you got presents. I got sweet F A

BeckAndCallWithBoughsOfHolly Wed 26-Dec-12 12:18:20

I'd not worry about the cousin, who your probably don't see much, your great gran is too old to be expected to remember but the others just haven't given it any thought,I'd say. I'd be surprised if my in laws did something like that - but if you only see them just a couple of times a year,they may not have noticed?

Longdistance Wed 26-Dec-12 12:19:44

Yanbu. When it's their birthday next year, give it back to them as a present grin

I only got Gok Wan's cookbook for Xmas, but that's all I asked for from dh, and got a beauty voucher from sil which was fab.

My birthday's end of Jan, and I'm struggling with ideas for that.

Jinsei Wed 26-Dec-12 12:20:17

YANBU to be annoyed about the alcohol - a bit thoughtless, obviously. But I never get gifts that I really want. Maybe I'm just hard to buy for. confused

I deal with this by just not thinking about what I have received - I get all my pleasure at Christmas from the giving. smile

Ephiny Wed 26-Dec-12 12:25:06

It is a bit thoughtless, people have bought us wine/champagne in the past which has just sat there for years until it went off. DH doesn't drink, and I only have the occasional drink so there'd be no point me opening a bottle of wine just for me.

I wouldn't be upset by it though. It's their problem if they want to waste their money. You can always give it away (if you're more organised than me).

BunFagFreddie Wed 26-Dec-12 14:24:16

Does anyone really get really decent pressies that they really want once they are an adult?

The last really nice lot of Xmas gifts I recieved was in my mid 20's. A long time ago!

dreamingbohemian Wed 26-Dec-12 14:31:27

I'd be more upset about the IOU from DH tbh. What's that about???

At least you can recycle the wine as gifts, bring them to dinners, etc.

TheHoneyDragonsDrunkInTheIvy Wed 26-Dec-12 14:33:06

I received a bottle of bannoffee liqueur from a close family friend, who I see at least once a week.

Two well known facts about me

I don't drink
I don't like bananas

grin

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Wed 26-Dec-12 14:36:44

Oh HoneyDragon! two for two, then... what a faux pas! grin

I'm teetotal too, my husband isn't, so the dozens of wine bottles I receive go to a good home.

inkonapin Wed 26-Dec-12 14:38:55

Yanbu

MrsFlibble Wed 26-Dec-12 14:45:52

I got a new laptop, as i really really need a new pc, since i do OU.

greenbananas Wed 26-Dec-12 14:52:03

Last year, my dad bought us a Christmas hamper full of nuts, chocolate, Christmas pudding, speciality coffee containing hazelnuts etc. It was lovely, except that DS is severely allergic to dairy and nuts and a load of other stuff as well, and I am avoiding all those foods because of breastfeeding him. It was a huge hamper, but all we could actually use was the fruit teabags. We never told him, we just gave it all to our neighbours.

This year he has bought us a highly useful kitchen gadget, which I love. Sometimes people get so busy with their Christmas shopping that they just don't think things through.

AmberLeaf Wed 26-Dec-12 15:34:48

It is odd if they know you are tee total.

I too would be more upset at the IOU from DH than anything else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now