Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to be really insulted by my grandmother giving me

(24 Posts)
smilingthroughgrittedteeth Tue 25-Dec-12 21:04:50

A cardigan that's a size 24 angry

Yes I've put on a little weight in the last few months but im nowhere near a bloody size 24 I'm a 16 on top big boobs and a 14 bottom.

She's not a doddery old lady who may have got confused by the way, its her way of saying I've put on weight.

It is a lovely cardigan and I will take it back to the shop and see if they will change it for a smaller size, but she's taken the tags off so doubt they will change it, she's lost the reciept.

I'm not being ungrateful but I do feel highly insulted sad

Bessie123 Tue 25-Dec-12 21:05:34

Hehe. Did she warn you not to 'let yourself go' as well? Mental.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrr Tue 25-Dec-12 21:12:03

yanbu, although better than the knitted ones my gran used to knit where the neck was too small to get my head through and the arms were far too big.

LaLaGabby Tue 25-Dec-12 21:12:27

Offtopic but why is a `doddery old lady' something we refer to people as?

smilingthroughgrittedteeth Tue 25-Dec-12 21:14:49

About 2mths ago she told me I had better join a gym because I was getting a fat face shock

For what its worth I've put on weight because I'm ill not because I've been eating loads, I'm in the process of being diagnosed with possible endometriosis and have been pretty ill and exhausted for the past year, she knows how unwell I've been

smilingthroughgrittedteeth Tue 25-Dec-12 21:16:53

I used the term doddery old lady just to explain that she is very active and in no way easily confused, I didn't mean to offend anyone.

ByGrabtharsHammer Tue 25-Dec-12 21:20:10

Might she have intended to buy a size 14 but misread the label? I heard a woman the other day say she was taking some pyjamas back to the shop in town because she'd bought a size 18 instead of 10 and her daughter would have been mortified had the mistake not been noticed and she'd opened the present on Christmas Day.

StuntGirl Tue 25-Dec-12 21:21:02

Old people have a habit of being brutal blunt. Ignore her, and just see if you can swap it.

KittyFane1 Tue 25-Dec-12 21:22:35

Is she a size 24? Did she buy it for herself but then decide to give it to you?
I wouldn't be offended. Is it current range (in the shops now? Odd it has no tags or receipt)

kennyp Tue 25-Dec-12 21:22:38

Looking on the barbie brightside ..... It will remind you of what a slim jim you are.

sarahtigh Tue 25-Dec-12 21:25:14

my MIL has given DD ( her GD) a pair of teal magic gloves in size 6-7 she is 3, not wrapped up price label still on reduced from 79p to 59p, that was it the present, I would not mind if she was on bread line but she is no where near it not massively wealthy but very comfy!, I got 3 refresher balls for my fridge and DH got 2 yes 2 not 1 bags of maltesers

CaliforniaSucksSnowballs Tue 25-Dec-12 21:26:11

Why would she remove the tags? what a waste if they won't exchange for a smaller size.
Dd got two faux fur sleeveless gillet things, from my SIL they are so cute but too small and won't zip, so I was going to exchange for the next size up, and bugger me SIL pulled the tags off, but not on the shirt so I'll take all three back and hope for the best. Funnily enough I was looking at them and said to Dh that is like something that his sister would get for Dd and she did grin

JustFabulous Tue 25-Dec-12 21:26:19

Maybe she looked at it and thought it was the right size rather than reading 24 and thinking that was what you were.

bamboostalks Tue 25-Dec-12 21:29:17

Perhaps she though it was a 14 rather than 24.

smilingthroughgrittedteeth Tue 25-Dec-12 21:29:51

kenny I wish I was a slim jim grin I'm the first to admit I've put on weight but NOT 6 dress sizes!

I considered that she had maybe brought it for herself but its not her style.

TheMonster Tue 25-Dec-12 21:32:16

I wonder if she got it from a charity shop, hence no tags.

smilingthroughgrittedteeth Tue 25-Dec-12 21:39:13

She won't go in charity shops as she has a thing about germs and second hand things so it definatly was new from asda.

TheMonster Tue 25-Dec-12 22:05:07

Asda are pretty good though and may exchange.

ToffeeCaramel Tue 25-Dec-12 22:14:30

Does it look like a 24? Just wondering if she saw it on the hanger and didn't look at the label and thought it looked about right as it looks smaller than a 24? Or does she have form at making digs like this?

smilingthroughgrittedteeth Tue 25-Dec-12 22:58:44

It looks huge so no way she could have mistaken the size.

She is known for constantly putting me, my mum and my aunt down, its either our weight, hair, how tired we look or what we are wearing, she's never gone as far as this before though

I would turn it back on her and suggest she gets her eyes checked because she seemed to have misread the label.

smilingthroughgrittedteeth Tue 25-Dec-12 23:30:24

DP just told me he didn't tell me earlier because I was quite cross that when she rang this morning whilst I was out with the dog, it wasn't to say happy christmas and thank you for her gifts like he said, she actually rang to say she didn't like the chocolates and why did I buy her the book that she bloody asked for because she doesn't have time to read!!!!!

I had calmed down and decided it wasn't worth getting annoyed over but now I've decided to give her the cardigan back so she can try and return it and get her money back.

A few years ago she went on and on for months about wanting a tradional looking teddy bear to sit on her bed, it had to be brown with a tartan ribbon round its neck, I spent weeks searching for one and spent £45 on a teddy, rang her on christmas day to thank her for my presents and she asked why I'd brought her a teddy shock apparantly I had ruined christmas by not putting any thought into a gift.

CaliforniaSucksSnowballs Tue 25-Dec-12 23:42:12

Well after that update I think she's just plain batshit crazy then.

breatheslowly Tue 25-Dec-12 23:42:13

She sounds like she is trying to wind you up and you will irritate her more by not rising to it. I really don't understand why anyone would criticise someone for looking tired, only sympathy is really appropriate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now