Talk

Advanced search

£300 for a sitter to watch ds over night?

(86 Posts)
Spuddybean Mon 24-Dec-12 16:40:12

DP and i are getting married in beginning Jan. We would like DS to be watched overnight in the hotel so we can have a shag drink.

The hotel room for a sitter costs £130, which is fine. I contacted an agency who have said the sitter charges £9 per hour, also fine. But then the agency have said they charge £50 fee on top, erm not so fine and that we have to pay 'expenses' - and i'm not really sure what that entails. Room service for dinner i suppose, which is fine. But what else? taxis to and from the hotel?

Anyway, this then means it will cost more than £300 shock Does this seem reasonable?

BOFingSanta Mon 24-Dec-12 16:46:41

It depends how good your new husband is in the sack, I suppose grin

£300? Blimey.

FellatioNelson Mon 24-Dec-12 16:48:01

That all seems a bit excessive. Can your DS not stay with the GPs? confused

ImperialBlether Mon 24-Dec-12 16:48:33

Is that the Sitters agency? I'm registered with them (to work) and didn't realise they charged anything more than the fee per hour. Whereabouts are you, OP? How old is your child?

soontobeburns Mon 24-Dec-12 16:48:33

Wow I should go into the babysitting business. That's a lot of money.

Can family not babysit for the one night? I'm sure someone would go without a drink for you. It could be their wedding present to you and your DH?

BigShinyBaubles Mon 24-Dec-12 16:48:47

Can a friend or relative have him for you?

LesbianMummy1 Mon 24-Dec-12 16:49:08

Could you find a nearby childminder it would be at least a third of that price? I don't do overnight care due to limited space in my house but my friend who is also a childminder only charges £20 a night for 7pm - 7am

RosemaryandThyme Mon 24-Dec-12 16:49:20

If other wedding guests are staying at the hotel could you put one of them in charge ? a teenager would probably do it for £100.

HarlettHoHoHoScara Mon 24-Dec-12 16:49:49

How much is a room in the hotel for the night?

When my cousin got married they brought their own babysitter and booked her a room for the night.

Bossybritches22 Mon 24-Dec-12 16:50:00

Where are you getting married? I'll do it for £100- CRB checked etc!

madwomanintheattic Mon 24-Dec-12 16:51:38

It's about standard for a hotel sitter here. We had different rates written into our (live out) nanny contract for overnights, but hotel sitting services are always expensive. Have you not got parents that could do the later shift, and have him in their hotel room, so you just ay for an evening rate instead of an overnight? The sitter could use their hotel room for the evening shift, and they could pay and dismiss the sitter when they got back to the room - midnight ish? Depends what sort of party ya got goin'!

Fairylea Mon 24-Dec-12 16:51:50

How old is your ds ? Would he not feel quite unsettled in a strange room with a stranger?

When dh and I got married my mum took dd aged 8 home with her and she stayed there overnight. Would that sort of thing be an option ?

ImperialBlether Mon 24-Dec-12 16:52:10

The room costs £130, the OP says. It's all very well offering to do it for £100 but if it costs a fortune to get there, it won't be worth it!

madwomanintheattic Mon 24-Dec-12 16:52:46

(My assumption is that you want him at the party for a bit?)

Spuddybean Mon 24-Dec-12 16:53:15

haha! soontobeburns - you haven't met my family!

There isn't a hope in hell my parents wouldn't get shitfaced and dp's parents aren't coming. Sis and her brood are staying at m&d's in west london. There is no room for ds with all of them and they would be at the 'do' till midnight anyway.

The agency is LikeMinders.

The wedding is in Westminster and the hotel is St Johns Wood.

SantaIAmSoFuckingRock Mon 24-Dec-12 16:53:21

that is an insane amount for 1 night!

i agree with others, ask friends and family who are already staying over at the hotel or pay for someone you trust to stay.

lisad123 Mon 24-Dec-12 16:56:43

Haven't you got a friend with a nanny or childminder you could ask? Or a friends teenager, especially if your in the same hotel

Spuddybean Mon 24-Dec-12 16:57:14

DS will be 4 months old. No one else is staying at the hotel, everyone is traveling by tubes across london.

Spuddybean Mon 24-Dec-12 16:59:07

The only friends and family we have will be at the wedding. Don't know anyone with children or teenagers (wouldn't leave ds with a teen tbh)

everlong Mon 24-Dec-12 16:59:55

I wouldn't leave a baby of 4 months with a stranger I'm sorry I just wouldn't.

Spuddybean Mon 24-Dec-12 17:00:40

We are having a rushed budget wedding in a london boozer. It's not the kind where everyone stays at a hotel.

CheeseStrawWars Mon 24-Dec-12 17:01:06

It's not £300 for the babysitter, it's £300 for a babysitter + a hotel room. Two costs there. If she was babysitting in your house you wouldn't have the hotel cost to content with, I presume?

£9 per hour for a babysitter in St Johns Wood isn't that much if you take into account that London living wage is £8.55 an hour.

worsestershiresauce Mon 24-Dec-12 17:03:00

That's St Johns Wood for you. I used to live there, and every single quote we got for everything from cleaning to building work had what I called the 'St Johns Wood' premium attached. General view seems to be that if you can afford to live there/get married there, you are fair game.

Ask a friend. I'd mind a friend's child so they could have a 'drink' on their wedding night without question.

crashdoll Mon 24-Dec-12 17:04:18

I live near there. I'll do it. Seriously! Experienced with babies, qualified, CRB checked and I can get references. Message me if you want.

Spuddybean Mon 24-Dec-12 17:05:09

Everlong, i think lots of people have to. if i was going back to work we would have to. He will be sleeping and we will be in the same hotel/just next door, the agency staff are all professionals so i'd rather that than a friends teen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now