Talk

Advanced search

To not bother with a "Christmas Clean"?

(29 Posts)
JingleUpTheHighway Mon 24-Dec-12 14:38:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NotInMyDay Mon 24-Dec-12 14:40:26

I have 2 under five. One just had a birthday and in hosting dinner for 14 people tomorrow.

I'm not deep cleaning. I have wiped round the fridge, the toilets will be clean, carpets hoovered but no more. Within 5 mins of them arriving the place will be a tip.

I deep clean for New Year. grin

Tortington Mon 24-Dec-12 14:40:28

get shitholed - its xmas fuck it

magimedi88 Mon 24-Dec-12 14:40:46

Go & get beer & put feet up - NOW!

Sod the cleaning - it's Christmas now!

gobbin Mon 24-Dec-12 14:41:23

Not at all. A quick flick round with the hoover, clean sheets and bogs/floors washed is all mine gets. AND my mother is coming to stay! I gauge my house by my next door neighbour's whose is clean but unbearably messy. Mine will never be that bad, so I do what I can and sod the rest!

bunchamunchycrunchycarrots Mon 24-Dec-12 14:41:27

YANBU. I'm slipping into the same, and don't have the excuse of 2v small kids to distract me. I'm just lazy grin I'm now curtailing my mega clean up to hiding as much crap as possible in my bedroom, to sort out over the next 2 weeks I'm off work.

Parasaurolophus Mon 24-Dec-12 14:41:42

No, no, no. Relax and play with the kids. Drink beer

(i am two glasses of wine into the day)

TheGirlOnTheLanding Mon 24-Dec-12 14:42:52

YADNBU

I have had a week off work and I am shattered with the preChristmas running around - you must be exhausted.

We have guests over Christmas so am in the middle of the tidying/cleaning, but know that by the time they arrive on Christmas morning the house will be two feet deep in ripped up wrapping paper and it will look exactly as if I hadn't bothered. Christmas housework is a special kind of pointless and soul destroying.

Have your beer and watch some nonsense on the telly, and have a happy relaxing Christmas Eve!

RobinsBaubleSparkles Mon 24-Dec-12 14:43:23

Feck it! Go and get that beer!

wine Cheers, Merry Christmas!

TartyMcTart Mon 24-Dec-12 14:46:02

Hmmm, I just wouldn't be able to sit and chill until I'd cleaned the house. I've done my Christmas clean this morning, OH on his way home from work and kids watching Polae Express. I can now really get into the Christmas spirit smile

KellyEllyChristmasBelly Mon 24-Dec-12 14:49:36

I haven't bothered with cleaning my bathroom just hoovered and polished so it will look clean in the photos of present opening tomorrow smile

noisytoys Mon 24-Dec-12 14:50:07

I've done the Christmas clean. I can't relax in a mess. Mess is stress!! smile

JingleUpTheHighway Mon 24-Dec-12 14:52:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Salmotrutta Mon 24-Dec-12 14:52:41

I've done a normal sort of clean with bit extra on top IYSWIM?

So a bit of tidying, clearing surfaces, Hoover, dust, bathroom a once over then it's peeling spuds, washing salad and stuff.

In fact, I've paced myself not too badly this year so I was doing the above over the course of yesterday and today - but then I have been off work earlier than you.

Have a beer!

lovelyladuree Mon 24-Dec-12 15:13:57

I gave DD a mop and wet wipes. The floors are shiny now. I could kiss the man who invented wet wipes for polishing, cleaning, window wiping, etc.

Jingleallthejay Mon 24-Dec-12 15:18:50

if my mother wasn' visiting for all of half an hour tomorrow i wouldnt bother but she just screws her face up at an un plumpt cushion she is really arsey about cleaning and it isnt worth the screwy up face

SnowProbs Mon 24-Dec-12 15:20:53

Downstairs is passable here...upstairs is a tip. Fuck it! I clean in the new year...plus you have a newborn so double fuck it. Sit D"down now!

PinkFairyTaleOfNewYork Mon 24-Dec-12 15:34:45

Don't do it! I have been dong it for 4 hours I wish I had relaxed and played with DS instead grin

Ephiny Mon 24-Dec-12 15:40:02

I'd never heard of the tradition of a 'Christmas clean' until people started mentioning it on MN in the last few days. I've never done it confused. How do people know they're supposed to be doing these things? (ignorance is bliss IMO).

Though our cleaner came today, as usual for Mondays. Maybe that counts...

McChristmasPants2012 Mon 24-Dec-12 15:46:14

I would do the bare minimum

susanann Mon 24-Dec-12 17:32:44

Did mine earlier and gave DP a duster and said "can you do the dusting please" hes going to hoover "soon". lol. but ive no young kids or mega big dinner to get. Hurrah! Enjoy your beer.

dreamingofsun Mon 24-Dec-12 18:03:43

you need to be imaginative. do you have a garge or spare room you can just gather all the junk into and close the door? then make sure the key things - eg toilet, table in dining room, where people are going - are clean.

spray some cleaning spray around - gives the impression. and don't turn the lights up high.

AnyFuckerForAMincePie Mon 24-Dec-12 18:07:46

it's all going to get even more messy over xmas...so why bother ?

my kitchen floor is a bit sticky...but tomorrow it will get stickier, so fuck it < pours vodka >

freddiefrog Mon 24-Dec-12 18:10:23

I've been meaning to do it all week and successfully avoided it.

Downstairs is pretty respectable and the downstairs loo is sparkling.

usualsuspect3 Mon 24-Dec-12 18:13:14

Dp has been scurrying about hoovering and mopping. It made me knackered just watching him.

wine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now