Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To serve BBQ Ribs instead of Turkey for dinner tomorrow...

(26 Posts)
SickOfBeingSoScared Mon 24-Dec-12 12:26:22

and there will not be a sprout in sight!

We will have roast pots & parsnips, mashed carrots & swede, yorkshires & gravy on one side of the plate and baby sweetcorn, asparagus, sugarsnap peas, and roasted butternut squash on the other. I am a vege and the others were not excited about turkey at all so I decided to go with what meat and veg they would enjoy! Normally the turkey is mainly binned anyway.

There will be no christmas pud either, we have a red velvet cake with vanilla frosting!

DH has said that it won't be the same hmm.

AnneNonimousLetterToSanta Mon 24-Dec-12 12:30:29

I don't see the point of a traditional Christmas dinner if you don't really like it! I think cooking all your favourite food is a better idea and it is what I will do once I am in charge. Enjoy!

bradywasmyfavouritewiseman Mon 24-Dec-12 12:40:16

Yanbu.

We are having a Greek meze. No turkey, stuffing etc.

All tradition Greek food and a fee other favourites.

FeelingFestiveCheerMum Mon 24-Dec-12 12:41:50

We have only one Christmas tradition and that is that Christmas dinner is your favourite meal. Do this year Dh is having steak and mash, I'm having chicken and bacon pizza and dd is having chicken and bacon with cheese sauce and pasta.

It's probably as much work as a big roast but very yummy.

Pudding will be left over birthday cake as today is dh's birthday.

Enjoy your meal!

ChocolateCoins Mon 24-Dec-12 12:47:51

Can I come to your house tomorrow? That sounds lovely. grin

Theicingontop Mon 24-Dec-12 12:48:49

Ooh red velvet cake, my favourite.

I'm cooking duck and a nut roast for me and DS. It's gonna be laaaahvly.

YouOldTinsellySlag Mon 24-Dec-12 12:57:02

YANBU to have whatever you like for Christmas dinner. If your DH doesn't like it, tell him to cook a bit of meat for himself like a chicken breast or a steak. All those veggies sound delicious!

Rhubarbgarden Mon 24-Dec-12 13:00:21

We are having scallops, crab and scallops.. <shrugs>

carabos Mon 24-Dec-12 13:00:39

feelingfestive that's a great idea <gets notebook out>.

FeelingFestiveCheerMum Mon 24-Dec-12 13:04:04

In fact, dd couldn't decide what meat she liked the best so is actually having;

Lunch - pork loin and lamb steak ( just a plate of meat!)
Dinner - chicken wrapped in bacon with cheese sauce and pasta

I do a roast for Boxing Day ( lamb this year)

whois Mon 24-Dec-12 13:25:42

Sounds lush :-)

pointysettia Mon 24-Dec-12 16:57:44

Sounds good to me - we like turkey (we get one of those expensive organic free range jobbies and it's delish) but we have whatever we want with it, and no Chrsitmas Pud because no-one likes it - SIL is bringing an apple pie and a pumpkin pie instead.

If Christmas dinner is a chore then you're doing it wrong, it's about family and what you all want it to be!

TapirAroundTheChristmasTree Mon 24-Dec-12 17:00:07

Yum!

We're having duck; turkey doesn't step across the threshold as nobody here likes it.

I would suggest that if your dh doesn't think it would be the same, then he could take over the cooking?

crashdoll Mon 24-Dec-12 17:00:25

Sounds lovely! Can I come? We're having roast chicken and no bloody Xmas pud 'coz we all hate it!

NettoHoHoHoSuperstar Mon 24-Dec-12 17:01:57

We're having a duck crown but DD would have had fried chicken if it was up to her.
I'm doing that on NYE instead.

starsandunicorns Mon 24-Dec-12 17:03:21

Op yours sound fab having chicken here dp plate will roast potatoes chicken and homemade yorkshires i got whats on his and four sprouts and tinned garden peas and we are have a bottle of wine each smile

worsestershiresauce Mon 24-Dec-12 17:06:30

Wouldn't be my choice - that's a lot of starchy veg for one meal, but I'm not eating it. It makes sense to cook what you enjoy eating!

Badgersnatch Mon 24-Dec-12 17:16:12

We're having normal salami, venison salami, ham, a cheeseboard (have some blue buffalo milk cheese to try), olives, slow-roast tomatoes, grilled artichokes, grilled asparagus with truffle oil, rocket and bread. DS1 wants pasta too. I can't wait grin

NettoHoHoHoSuperstar Mon 24-Dec-12 17:17:59

We have all that type of stuff for between Christmas and New Year Badger I love cooking, but like to be a lazy mare for a week.

Badgersnatch Mon 24-Dec-12 17:56:45

Netto I'm doing it for the same lazy mare reason. Would far rather have time to play with my kids on Christmas day than be in the kitchen for five hours so they remember playing with toys rather than sweaty mum crying into the gravy grin

Snowkey Mon 24-Dec-12 18:00:05

We have something different every year - this year we're having turkey, first time ever....I think your rack of ribs sound much tastier, but the dcs were insistent that we'd do a normal dinner for a change.

Glossynotflossy Mon 24-Dec-12 19:12:52

I'd rather have BBQ ribs as they are one of my favourute foods. Enjoy. Your lunch sounds lovely

mamij Mon 24-Dec-12 19:15:48

Going to my parents and think we are having roast duck and roast pork belly! No point doing turkey if it's not enjoyed by everyone for traditions sake.

issey6cats Mon 24-Dec-12 19:31:21

we are having honey roast gammon (havent done turkey for about 30 yrs) spring greens, roasted parsnips and roast potatoes with fresh cream strawberry gateuax or chocolate eclairs for afters

ouryve Mon 24-Dec-12 19:41:01

YANBU.

I love turkey and I will buy one on Boxing day, but for Christmas day I'm serving salmon because that's something that all 4 of us actually like.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now