Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Sick familly, aibu to take dd to visit?

(16 Posts)
GotMyGoat Mon 24-Dec-12 09:53:26

Just had a call from my (lovely) MIL to say that since we visited on saturday, along with some distant cousins, everyone else has fallen ill. We all shared a chinese, so some are wondering if its food poisoning, but could be norovirus or other sickness bug.

We were all invited to xmas at theirs tomorrow, there would be 10 adults in total, and of those 10 I think 7 are currently unwell.

Despite this, everyone is still planning to go tomorrow - but me, dh and dd (17 months) are all healthy and not unwell (yet) so i'm just wondering if aibu to take her along? Everyone is really excited about seeing her, and it's a big family do - but it means we are bound to fall ill soon afterwards, and will mess up plans to see my family after christmas (elderly relatives, little babies etc.)

Of course we don't have anything here lined up for xmas, could brave tesco - or is that a bit pfb?

decktheballs Mon 24-Dec-12 09:56:09

I wouldn't be going....
Of course they'll be disappointed but should understand

littlewhitebag Mon 24-Dec-12 09:57:17

If it is food poisoning they will not be infectious. I would probably just go tbh and take the chance. I am going to my sil tomorrow an I have a virus and my mum has a cold. The others just accept they might catch it. This time of year there is a lot going around and it is a chance you take. Hopefully your family will all be feeling much better tomorrow.

DrGoogleWillSeeYouNow Mon 24-Dec-12 09:57:18

You should stay away until 48 hours after the last episode of sickness. I wouldn't be going.

GotMyGoat Mon 24-Dec-12 10:09:10

sad I know we should stay away, apparently pil's have just been feeling queasy, so will see how people are this evening.

ImperialBlether Mon 24-Dec-12 10:39:16

Don't go. It's highly unlikely only certain people had food poisoning out of a large party. Don't take chances now - get to Tesco!

ChaoticforlifenotjustChristmas Mon 24-Dec-12 10:42:13

If it was food poisoning I would have thought that you and your DH, and DD if she also ate the chinese, would be ill as well.

ProudAS Mon 24-Dec-12 11:01:22

Is there a common denominator e.g. those who fell ill all ate the same?

How likely is it that they could all have become ill at once if it was anything other than food poisoning?

What if you do get sick - could you see elderly relatives another time and is there someone else to keep them company in short term?

How practical would it be for PILs to see dd later in the holiday period or by skype?

If it were my DPs I'd take the risk (minimising it by preparing food myself etc) so long as elderly relative visits later in week weren't critical.

GotMyGoat Mon 24-Dec-12 11:08:00

we only live 15 mins away from pils, so it's not the hugest deal in the world! And we did all meet up with ils at the weekend.

And yes, other relatives are a only 20min train ride away, and my mum will be able to see them, and we see them fairly frequently - it's just we all like big family meet ups for christmas!

Need to find out how sick they all are though, surely they don't want to 'do christmas' if they are all on the toilet/being sick all day? some of the family may be prone to melodrama.

polkadotsrock Mon 24-Dec-12 11:11:53

I feel like you obv want to go and so you should. Do all you can to keep DD from catching anything but enjoy time with your family if that's what you want to do

ProudAS Mon 24-Dec-12 11:16:07

Get some food in just in case.

halcyondays Mon 24-Dec-12 11:19:13

I'd be staying well away.

GotMyGoat Mon 24-Dec-12 11:27:06

Oh no, they reckon it is noro - and have just heard two others have got flu. So I'm starting to think we really should stay away. I might suggest we reschedule it...

Am a bit annoyed now, as dd gave up breastfeeding a couple of weeks ago, wouldn't have worried so much if she was still feeding, as she's never been ill before.

Grrr! I don't even like turkey. Am sure I can find a gammon, or maybe go the carvery for xmas... mmmmm.

Thanks guys, luckily dd is too young to know it's christmas, so has no expectations of us.

polkadotsrock Mon 24-Dec-12 11:42:26

Oh we'll, that's that then. Have a lovely day with some naice ham instead

PuppyMonkey Mon 24-Dec-12 11:47:15

This reminds me of Christmas 2007, everyone was supposed to come to me - but my lot were all sick, so 24 hours before I called round and cancelled. All v understanding.

As it turned out, we all felt much better on Christmas Day and had a smashing time on our own. Best Christmas for agesgrin

GotMyGoat Mon 24-Dec-12 12:18:47

Puppymonkey - I'm glad it was a happy ending, Just getting ready to brave the shops ... Hopefully everybody else finished their shopping over the weekend.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now