Talk

Advanced search

Help me find owners - dead cat

(28 Posts)
Lindsay321 Sun 23-Dec-12 18:02:30

Hi everyone,

I know this isn't really an AIBU thing but I need the traffic.

I found a dead cat today and I'd like help to find the owners, hopefully before christmas. I've checked local sites for missing pets but I think this happened today so probably too soon.

It was in the Penarth area (South Wales), the cat was black, not short hair and had a distinctive collar. Unfortunately I wasn't in the position to take the cat (home or to the vets to check for a chip)

I couldn't check the collar for info details.

Just so sad this has happened before Christmas. Do you know anyone in Penarth that has a cat matching this description? Any help to find the owners would be most appreciated.

everlong Sun 23-Dec-12 18:05:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AgentZigzag Sun 23-Dec-12 18:15:49

You could try the vets and the non-emergency police, they might have the details if the owner's rung and you can leave yours for them just in case they do?

Have you got any local lost websites? Like on the local rag or pet forums?

Poor owners though sad and not very nice for you to have to find their little cat.

AgentZigzag Sun 23-Dec-12 18:21:38

Animal Search UK looks quite good?

Or The UK Missing Pet Register?

This forum is called Hope Rescue but they look to have lost and found threads.

Cantbelieveitsnotbutter Sun 23-Dec-12 18:27:16

I've sadly had to do this a few times. Local vets who can scan it and hopefully that will help. Well done for doing the right thing it must be horrid not knowing

BabeRuthless Sun 23-Dec-12 18:45:45

If they'll come out call the RSPCA. Our lad was run over earlier this year & we found out from a knock at the door from them. A neighbour had rung & she'd scanned our cat in the back of the van.

Pizzaexpress2 Sun 23-Dec-12 18:49:44

Sorry, not much to add.
Just wanted to thank you on behalf of all cat owners for taking the time. It is horrid but it means so much that someone like you cares.
I really hope you can trace the owners so they can have a semi peaceful connclusion.
Poor cat. Blooming independant animals.

PimpMyHippo Sun 23-Dec-12 18:53:07

If you've no way of getting the cat to the vet to scan for a chip, you could still try phoning round local vets to see if they've had any similar cats reported missing.

Lindsay321 Sun 23-Dec-12 18:57:16

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your replies.

Agent - I'll keep checking the local sites and those ones you've given links to. Thanks for them.

Babe - I don't actually live too close to where I found the animal so no idea if it's still there. I'll check to see what the RSPCA say though.

I don't drive/have a car so I can't go an get it either. I thought maybe a description especially of the collar might help someone.

Pizza - thanks for saying that. I've just got sad images a someone calling for their cat and shaking the food box. It happened to me when I was a kid.

I'll keep this thread going and see if it goes anywhere.

Thanks All.

Lindsay321 Sun 23-Dec-12 23:38:44

bumping my own thread but here goes!

called vets and RSPCA but they are closed until 2nd January. Emergency vets not suitable for this.

lurkedtoolong Sun 23-Dec-12 23:43:54

Not got helpful suggestions that haven't been mentioned but as a cat owner I just want to say thanks. I'd hate to lose my boy but the kindness of someone like you would be a comfort.

Scuttlebutter Sun 23-Dec-12 23:49:34

Try Vale of Glamorgan Council. Most Councils have an emergency street cleaning team that will collect dead animals. Most Councils will at the least note a brief description of where they found it and what type of animal. As far as I know Swansea is the only Welsh Council that routinely scans dead cats for chips - not as widely used as in dogs. Not all Councils will even scan dead dogs. sad Make sure you report both via Council website and by phone (Council call centre). Sadly most Councils are now in a long holiday period until the New Year. At least if the owner tries the Council they will then have a record.

thecook Sun 23-Dec-12 23:53:23

Oh love. What a fantastic person you are. I am in London and the owner of 2 ginger cats. I am crying just reading your post. I haven't got any more advice than what has been mentioned up thread.

You are a caring and lovely person xxxxx

eagleray Sun 23-Dec-12 23:55:42

Have you tried twitter? I often see local missing pets on there, and people are always happy to retweet and spread the word quickly. Maybe ask a friend who has an account to do it on your behalf if you don't use Twitter? Good luck.

AgentZigzagHasABigYuleLog Sun 23-Dec-12 23:56:49

Oh, good idea eagle.

And facebook.

eagleray Mon 24-Dec-12 00:04:43

I did a quick search on twitter just now and someone had posted recently about a missing cat in Penarth sad but luckily it has turned up again

eagleray Mon 24-Dec-12 00:06:37

Feeling v sad about dead cat, not helped by being close to due date, and have already cried today over dead toad in neighbour's garden blush

IloveChristmasandsodoesmydog Mon 24-Dec-12 00:12:00

I once saw a cat get run over. I was walking back to my car and there was this loud 'pop' type of bang, and there in the road was this writhing cat. The car disappearing down the road had obviously hit it, I have no idea if they realised or not. I picked it up but it was bleeding so much it died in my arms. It was awful. I knocked on so many doors but nobody knew whose it was. Eventually a nice lady offered me a box and I took it to the vets to see if they could scan it or in case the owner phoned them. The look on the vets face suggested he though I hit it! I put an ad in the paper with my number but no one ever called. I never did find out who it belonged to. Poor little cat.

Well done you for caring.

MrsKeithRichards Mon 24-Dec-12 00:12:22

What about facebook? Any local selling pages? They can be invaluable with a high rate of local traffic

Pickles101 Mon 24-Dec-12 04:17:48

Ilove, poor cat. I hope the driver hadn't realised they'd hit the poor thing, I think I prefer to assume that it's quite easy to not realise you've hit a creature and give the driver the benefit of the doubt. Otherwise they're a cunt.

CurrentBun Mon 24-Dec-12 06:34:32

I've just got sad images a someone calling for their cat and shaking the food box.

Oh that has just made me crysad. I've been there a couple of times.

Snusmumriken Mon 24-Dec-12 07:29:29

Thank you for taking the time!

fatcuntroller Mon 24-Dec-12 07:43:37

Whereabouts in penarth was it op? I have family there...will ask them if they know anyone missing a cat if its nearby. Pm me if you dont want to say.

YellowDinosaur Mon 24-Dec-12 07:51:32

I have a friend who lives in Penarth so I've sent her a message with a link to this thread.

I have cats and agree that it is a lovely thing to try and do to find the owner. Terrible that they've lost their cat but so so much better to actually know than for the cat just to never come home sad

CSIJanner Mon 24-Dec-12 08:11:13

If the cat is chipped and has been reported lost to the database, you can possibly try the following: [http://www.catchat.org/lost.html#found] which might be ale to help. Hope you find them soon

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: