Talk

Advanced search

to think the teacher should at least attempt to teach my DD something

(95 Posts)
xmasmeltdown Sat 22-Dec-12 14:31:01

.... on the last day of school?
DD 14 went to school yesterday and said in many classes they were left to watch a film, and in her English class he told them just to 'do their own thing' and listen to ipods, whatever while he sat there. She said she actually wished that he would do some sort of lesson as sitting around seemed pointless.

I may be flamed for this but presumably her teacher was paid to come in to work yesterday and do his job. I accept it's the last day and maybe a more light hearted lesson such as reading Xmas story or writing about Xmas holidays, but to not even make a pretence of doing his job seems a bit much, I don't send my child to school to be babysat and sit around but to learn!

WeWilsonAMerryChristmas Sat 22-Dec-12 14:33:42

This always happens on the last day of term though, right from primary school on. Is it the first time it's happened in your DD's school?

JeezyOrangePips Sat 22-Dec-12 14:34:18

YABU. The last day before the Xmas holidays (and the summer holidays) are usually a fun day.

I'm sure it was the same when you were at school.

Nothing wrong with having a day 'off' in school time. We pretty much had the last day not doing much at work too.

It's Christmas after all!

kinkyfuckery Sat 22-Dec-12 14:34:34

You want your 14 year old to be writing about their Xmas holidays, or reading a Xmas story??

I think the doing nothing is probably more appropriate at that age.

Chottie Sat 22-Dec-12 14:34:34

I agree with you. There must have been something the children could have learnt. Schooling is so important, what sort of message does this send to the children?

p.s. standing next to you ready for a flaming wink

JeezyOrangePips Sat 22-Dec-12 14:36:09

It sends the message that it's ok to have fun at Christmas.

Is that such a bad thing?

paddyclamp Sat 22-Dec-12 14:37:34

It's Christmas - lighten up! Most kids don't want to be working!

IslaValargeone Sat 22-Dec-12 14:38:03

If your dd is 14 this can't possibly be the first time there has been a lack of 'teaching' in the last couple of days before Christmas break.
I think getting 14 year old to read or write a Christmas story is possibly a bit unrealistic, hmm they're not 10.
If he teaches well the rest of the year, I don't think one day of no Chaucer will do much harm, I doubt much would have gone in anyway.

TheFallenMadonna Sat 22-Dec-12 14:38:25

My year 10s, 11s and sixth corners all had to work yesterday (exams in January) and felt themselves very hard done by.

Dromedary Sat 22-Dec-12 14:40:30

YANBU. DD has watched videos for at least part of the last few days of school. In addition to class party etc. I think the teachers use the time to tidy up the classroom, etc. The same at the end of the summer - have loads of time wasting over the last 2 weeks. Can't the teachers do the clearing up on the day after school ends (13 weeks hol!!).
It's hard work to get her to school and back, and the school are super critical over the tiniest bit of being late or absent. I think it's hypocritical. If education is important, why does it become less so just because it's convenient for the teachers to have the children out of the way?

xmasmeltdown Sat 22-Dec-12 14:40:52

I am completely OK with them doing fun things, maybe a group activity or game, but what is the point of sending her to school at all is she is just going to sit in a classroom and do NOTHING?

She knows that the last day of school is always relaxed and that Xmas is a fun time but this is the first time the teacher hasn't even bothered to try to teach them - she herself said she found it pointless.

I don't expect her to be studying the complete works of Dickens on her last day but I do expect the teacher who has been paid a salary to be there to do something with them.

thebody Sat 22-Dec-12 14:41:32

Good grief!! The last day of term is very useful for taking down decorations and tidying up cupboards etc.

If I had been asked at 14 to write down my Christmas news by my teachers I think I would have wet myself laughing.

We're you home schooled op because last days of term are always play/ relax days for the kids.

motherinferior Sat 22-Dec-12 14:42:34

Yes, these frightful slacker teachers, why on earth should they be knackered at the end of term?

SanityClause Sat 22-Dec-12 14:42:35

I agree with you.

At all my DC's schools, the last day of the Autumn term is a fun day, but there are organised activities. I think these are really good to engender a warm feeling between school and students, which can only be a good thing when they are being asked to buckle down to work next term. And, lets face it, it would probably be a waste of time expecting them to do proper lessons on that last day.

DD1's school has a 6th form review, where, basically, the sixth form mock the teachers (in a friendly way). The rest of the school watch. DD2's school have assemblies, where presentations are made, and the teachers put on little skits and acts (the head and most senior deputy head dancing Gangnam style, for example). DS is in junior school, but they go bowling or to the pictures, depending on age. This is paid for by the PTA.

I know it's not work, but it serves a purpose, in my opinion, and is better than sitting around doing nothing.

LadyMaryCrawleysStocking Sat 22-Dec-12 14:42:51

You've never had a job and been de-mob happy the last day before a break, then?

schilke Sat 22-Dec-12 14:43:23

My boys love that day. They did play in the orchestra (got doughnuts as a reward - in fact too many as neither ate their lunch!), but also watched part of a film and tidied the classroom. They finished at 1pm.

donnie Sat 22-Dec-12 14:44:26

Actually I think studying the complete works of Dickens on the last day should be compulsory................and I'd suggest starting with 'Hard Times', since I detect a slightly Gradgrind-esque smell around here.............wink

xmasmeltdown Sat 22-Dec-12 14:45:17

No, I wasn't home schooled, please read my posts, I know Xmas is fun and relaxed, on my last day we always watched a film or played games but never told just do your own thing. In any other job you couldn't just turn up and say you weren't going to do your job as it is the last day before holidays, so why is it ok for the teacher to do that?

Yes, these frightful slacker teachers, why on earth should they be knackered at the end of term? - They are paid a salary to attend work and should at least do something with the children rather than telling them to 'do their own thing', I'm sorry.

BigShinyBaubles Sat 22-Dec-12 14:46:42

My 2DS have done nothing all week.
Can't understand why they didn't break up earlier.

BigShinyBaubles Sat 22-Dec-12 14:47:08

Make that my 3DSs

Pantomimedam Sat 22-Dec-12 14:48:11

It was my last day in the office yesterday. I did do some work but we also did an awful lot of watching cute clips of kittens and went out for a very long lunch...

motherinferior Sat 22-Dec-12 14:51:36

I can assure you that in my office the work ethic was less than severe on the last week day before Christmas.

I can, I have to say, see the point of studying the death of Joe in Bleak House and relating it to the policies of our current government, but that might not be exactly merry.

Viviennemary Sat 22-Dec-12 14:53:02

Writing about the Christmas holidays or writing a story at 14 shock Thank goodness I'm not at school. Even we didn't do work on the last day of the Christmas week in the very far off days when I was at school.

ohfunnyFRANKENface Sat 22-Dec-12 14:53:35

YANBU

This is banned (for good reason!) at every school I have taught in.

No one benefits from this style of 'teaching' or classroom management.

I love the last day as usually you can try out some active learning activities that the kids are keen to try as it's a little different, and generally there is a lovely positive feeling in the classrooms. I was shocked that some students arrived without bags/books in yr 7 as they expected to do nothing- a hangover from primary school, perhaps?

xmasmeltdown Sat 22-Dec-12 14:58:15

Creative writing is still a very valid exercise to do age 14....they can write about Christmas in an imaginative and thoughtful way, it doesn't have to be a primary school thing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now