Advanced search

to think Charles should keep his mouth shut

(22 Posts)
kim147 Sat 22-Dec-12 12:10:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LunaticFringe Sat 22-Dec-12 12:16:10

treaclesoda Sat 22-Dec-12 12:20:22

I agree. I often think of him as a bit of a ill informed windbag who has no clue about the real world. But his views get aired on all manner of subjects and it gives legitimacy to the views of someone who is really just another pompous middle aged man. His position as heir to the throne does not make him an expert but he doesn't seem to habeas realised that.

TeeElfOnTeeShelf Sat 22-Dec-12 12:29:38

We can question and challenge him all we want. He'll just never hear us do it.

He, like much of the ruling classes, and I include our duly elected officials in that statement, is clueless about what the every day person goes through.

TheCrackFox Sat 22-Dec-12 12:33:03

He is a self appointed expert with instant acess to the media. He needs to learn to keep his trap shut, or if he doesn't want to do that, give up all rights to be king and relinquish his massive fortune get a proper job and live on the average wage of £23k.

I'm sure his mum has all manner of fascinating views but she knows the deal and keeps them to herself.

meditrina Sat 22-Dec-12 12:33:14

YABU: the continuing connexions betweenthings like quality of housing stock and security fo tenure are vital to public health, and the connexions between Government policies in specific areas and their all-round impact (beyond that of just those within the responsibility of one Department) are far too easily missed until it is too late.

Better thought out policy making, including all-round evaluations (as per Equalities Act, but covering more possible consequences) will improve the quality of Government decision making and administrative competence.

The sooner omnishambles (from both Coalition, and that left behind by previous administration who chased only next electoral success) is consigned to history, the better.

There should be far more people prepared to stand up and say we need more intelligence and integrity in public policy.

cinnamonnut Sat 22-Dec-12 12:50:09

He's like many of us on mumsnet really. Googling something is considered to be doing proper research about something grin

peaceandlovebunny Sat 22-Dec-12 12:52:03

no reason why hrh shouldn't say what he likes. he speaks far more sense than you, he's not bitter and he doesn't have a chip on his shoulder. yes, he's royal.

live with it.

Sallyingforth Sat 22-Dec-12 12:55:44

^

what peaceandlove says smile

fairylightsandtinsel Sat 22-Dec-12 12:59:05

How do we know he is ill-informed? As many on here like to (erroneously) think that the royals are idle layabouts, presumably he has lots of time to read up on things that interest him? One of the advantages of the royals is that they are above political party interests so they can say what they genuinely think is right, not what is popular. Also why is being a middle aged man somehow now a disqualification from having a right to an opinion? He may not have lived an ordinary life but we haven't lived his either, yet somehow, we are all apparently completely qualified to comment on HIM, but not vice versa?

treaclesoda Sat 22-Dec-12 13:13:14

Ok, fair point. I didn't really explain myself very well. He is, of course, entitled to his opinions. But what I meant was that being heir to the throne does not make his views more informed than anyone else's . And yes, I was wrong to imply that being a middle aged man should somehow mean you shouldn't have an opinion.

I don't know for sure that he is ill informed, but he has said plenty of things in the past that have certainly made me think he is. E.g his views on.alternative medicine.

But as another poster says, the Queen has views on many things but she generally keeps them to herself.

kim147 Sat 22-Dec-12 13:27:54

LadyBeagleBaublesandBells Sat 22-Dec-12 13:32:07

He was the original green though wasn't he, back in the day, when the media treated him like a nutter who talked to plants.
If he hadn't been brought up in the hideous Royal trappings, I can imagine him living 'The Good Life", sort of life and being into homeopathy and other such woo.

MsVestibule Sat 22-Dec-12 13:33:12

I agree with lovebunny. Now that's not a sentence I ever thought I'd type. <faints>

kim147 Sat 22-Dec-12 13:33:31

Bossybritches22 Sat 22-Dec-12 13:43:27

Can't understand why you are all frothing, he's only expressing his opinions and actually they are similar to what many others have said over the years.

It's well known that the psychological attitudes of the ill can have a powerful effect physically. I've seen it myself many a time when nursing.

All he's asking for his a more complete approach to medical care looking at the total person, nothing woo in that.

It's not as if he has any real influence anyway, but it's good to make people think.

Snorbs Sat 22-Dec-12 13:44:01

The man believes in homeopathy. That by itself disqualifies him from any rational discourse regarding medicine.

kim147 Sat 22-Dec-12 13:47:04

BerryChristmas Sat 22-Dec-12 14:24:09

I am sure if you wrote to him he would give you the courtesy of a reply.

I, for one, am glad that our future King has opinions on things and is not afraid to say what he thinks.

CogitOCrapNotMoreSprouts Sat 22-Dec-12 14:27:37

YABU. I'm as interested in what Prince Charles has to say as I am in anyone else's opinion. The monarch may not be able to take up a social or political cause but, until he takes that role, he has the same right to free speech as the rest of us.

Bossybritches22 Sun 23-Dec-12 09:28:28

Exactly Berry & Cogito.

I think we should keep an open mind on anything that helps conventional medicine, personally I would like more lengthy research on larger numbers of people on things like homeopathy.

It works for some people, possibly placebo effect, who knows and TBH does it matter if it works. It would be interesting to discuss it further with proper research based evidence, and that, IMHO is what that article is saying, lets look at it more.

HollyBerryBush Sun 23-Dec-12 09:30:59

He's hardly said anything controversial has he?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now