Talk

Advanced search

Schoolground Drama Queens!

(25 Posts)
carocaro Thu 20-Dec-12 09:00:41

Why do some Mum's in the playground like to turn everything into a big, song and dance drama routine?!? Huge discussions about wether it's OK to buy a shepherd costume instead of make one or will people think they are a bad mother; how they tussled with using white bread instead of brown for the school party tea sandwiches; how they printed off paper copies of their pcitures for their childs show and tell instead of proper photographs at Boots; how their little one's school jumper has a tiny stain and this makes them a terrible mother; how their child ran across the playground as we are waiting to go in and they have a got a bit wet and they shout and make a big fuss; are shop bought cakes OK for the christmas fair or should they be made etc etc etc

Maybe because I have DS in Y6 and DS in Y1 I am bored and over all that sort of thing. But I do think some like to create the drama, actually like it. Take this morning, they can wear their own clothes today and there kerfuffle at drop off about if what their child was wearing was OK.

Two questions, why all the drama? And why are some women so hard on themselves about every little detail?

TeamBacon Thu 20-Dec-12 09:02:01

Haha I do ALL of those things and I don't give a shit grin

(neither does anybody else at our school, from what I can tell - barely a hand-made uniform or home made cake in sight)

grin

SoleSource Thu 20-Dec-12 09:04:51

Yabu

I have kept DS off school for the last six months because teacher's apple had bruise.

Jingleallthejay Thu 20-Dec-12 09:04:56

! have an adult child and a child at high school I never see parents anymore and it is bliss, I think what some parents fret about is just plain bonkers TBH

Jingleallthejay Thu 20-Dec-12 09:06:30

non uniform day is a minefield though do they wear their deisgner hoody is it the right name on the front was hollister so last year blah blah , dd2 is wearing her xmas t shirt and her jeans tomorrow

ReindeerHooves Thu 20-Dec-12 09:09:12

No-one at dd1's school behaves like that, well no-one I speak to anyway. If they did I would probably have to punch them right between the eyes. So, no, YANBU, it sounds very competitive and tiresome.

cozietoesie Thu 20-Dec-12 09:09:18

SoleSource

grin

PottedShrimp Thu 20-Dec-12 09:13:26

Are these the same parents who are still at the school gate at 9.30am and back there an hour before school chucks out. I always laugh to myself as I see them. Usually one is on the PTA too.

givemeaclue Thu 20-Dec-12 09:33:51

Doesn't happen at our school. I wonder whether they have not got a lot to do so fill the time with the mundane and trivial?

You could solve this by starting "frightening" rumours about things "I have heard the head is leaving/school is merging with another/polish will had taught next year/20kids have been picked as exceptional talents. Bread choice chat will soon be gone.....

Imaginethat Thu 20-Dec-12 09:43:07

I think that in any sizeable organisation you will come across annoying people and a school is no exception. And people really really like to talk about their kids because they put so much effort into them and no one says well done aren't you clever.

WorraLorraTurkey Thu 20-Dec-12 09:45:53

I thought only MumsNetters were like that?! shock

I've known one or two in real life but that's about it.

<< Thankfull >>

fromparistoberlin Thu 20-Dec-12 09:49:33

you must go to a very middle class school

noone at out schools gives a fuck

ImNotCute Thu 20-Dec-12 09:53:57

I've not come across mums like that. If you have I would assume it may be that they feel a bit defensive and worried that by making the wrong choices they and their child may be judged? I've seen plenty of threads on here about playground cliques, and the whole gregg's sausage roll and fruit shoot thing.

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Thu 20-Dec-12 09:58:04

BUT IF THE LITTLE DARLINGS WEAR THE WRONG T SHIRT ON CASUAL DRESS DAY THEY WILL BE SHUNNED AND SCARRED FOR LIFE!

LIFE I TELL YOU!

<and breathe>

everlong Thu 20-Dec-12 10:00:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sparklingbrook Thu 20-Dec-12 10:02:00

Reception Year with DC1 I cared a lot. By Year 4 with DC2 I couldn't have cared less. grin You get immune to it all.

Aboutlastnight Thu 20-Dec-12 10:02:32

I sometimes pick my three up with packets of Quavers or choc biscuits in hand just to mitigate the relentless fecking oatcake/rice cake fest going on around us.
And I often feel genuinely shock at the lengths some mothers will go to for their child -one mother put together a powerpoint presentation, had telephone chats with teacher, arranged for a laptop to be set up with projector for their child to help her be elected onto the Eco committee at primary school.

Our school is very nicey nicey but the sharp elbows quickly come out at any sniff of competition.

Sparklingbrook Thu 20-Dec-12 10:04:25

Not a little tupperware pot with Raisins in About? shock

DadOnIce Thu 20-Dec-12 10:09:52

There are two answers, really. One is that some people just have too much time on their hands. The other is that, as everlong says above, people need to create dramas because they think, after watching soaps, etc., that their lives need to be full of them. Have a look at this - it's very interesting.

Fakebook Thu 20-Dec-12 10:10:58

We have two like that in Dd's reception class. They co-ordinate their dc's clothes too for non-uniform day...yesterday for the class party they were the only two in hoodies and jeans, when everyone else had sent their children in dresses and party wear. T)363 always standing in the corner 3 tea g egg

MsElleTow Thu 20-Dec-12 10:14:49

Ooh it's bliss when you open the door at 7.30am, shoo them off to the bus and then go back to bed!grin

Is this a new thing? When mine were in the Infants, most parents were just grateful their DC were actually there on time!

AreYouADurtBirdOrALadyBird Thu 20-Dec-12 10:17:21

fake what is your last sentence about grin
There's always the one that has to talk to the teacher every morning. And giggle and joke with them from the line in a aren't we such bestie friends sort of way.

ChaoticforlifenotjustChristmas Thu 20-Dec-12 10:39:21

I thought only MumsNetters were like that?!

Maybe they are mumsnetters. Maybe the OP's school is full of mumsnetters wink

Fakebook Thu 20-Dec-12 10:42:56

Sorry DS was wrestling for the phone when I was writing that. He may have pressed send. blush.

They always stand in the corner of the room talking in hushed tones and then will suddenly burst into laughter loudly. Weirdos.

yellowsubmarine53 Thu 20-Dec-12 10:48:19

Our school generally isn't like that, although there is one mum who regularly tells me about little x's new gloves, new packed lunch box and differences in terms of opening and capacity to old one, content of lunch box and differences in brand and content to old one etc etc.

She's very nice and all, but i think her small talk is a just a bit too small at times.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: